Ireland's Response to the Virus

Rural

Kudos to the department of health. Whether you agree with their decisions, at least they are working flat out it would seem. What about the Dept of Education? Whatever about the other classes, the Leaving Cert students are left hanging by the looks of things.

But looking at other classes and age groups (like my own kids) there is next to nothing and its only left up to the individual schools it would appear. My sixth class child has received no instruction from his teacher and the principal is next to useless.

Why are there no online classes?

BBC Skillwise is also a really good resource.

JacquesHughes

Only a few days ago, newspaper headlines were screaming that 15,000 people would get THE VIRUS here by end of March. The Taoiseach quickly parrotted those figures in his televised address. But it's already obvious the figures won't even come close to that. Are we seriously going to continue keeping the entire county shut down because a handful of elderly patients with existing lung conditions have just got the flu and might die??
Yes. There will be great benefits to Ireland and people if it becomes a coronavirus free area.

Newrybhoy2

Only a few days ago, newspaper headlines were screaming that 15,000 people would get THE VIRUS here by end of March. The Taoiseach quickly parrotted those figures in his televised address. But it's already obvious the figures won't even come close to that. Are we seriously going to continue keeping the entire county shut down because a handful of elderly patients with existing lung conditions have just got the flu and might die??
As you don’t have to make that decision and be responsible if it is wrong, your point is moot.

It’s easy to pontificate on a message board.

If you’d been in a hospital and seen the fear that the staff have, you wouldn’t be spouting nonsense.

Dame_Enda

Spanish newspaper El Pais says the 640,000 test kits Spain ordered from China mostly don't work. I hope the PPE equipment we ordered from them work better. The Visegrad group (Eastern and Central EU member states) twitter account has said that the Czechs have had a similar experience.

El Pais (translates) said:
.....The rapid tests, manufactured by the Chinese company Bioeasy, based in Shenzhen, one of the technological poles of the Asian country , have a sensitivity of 30%, when it should be above 80%, these sources indicate. One of the microbiologists who has analyzed the Chinese test assures: "With that value it does not make sense to use these tests." The conclusion of the experts who have evaluated these detection kits is that they will have to continue using the current test, the PCR. This has been reported to the Carlos III Health Institute, under the Ministry of Health. .....

Watcher2

BBC Skillwise is also a really good resource.
Thanks Rural. schooldays is a great site, but that's kind of my point. Your first call was not to any Dept of Education site, but a site provided by, I think, a mother "in the private sector". What is the Department of Education doing? Looks like nothing. Its appalling. The Dept of Health like I said seems flat out in this crisis but the dept of education seems to have summed up their efforts as giving all leaving cert irish students 100% in their orals.

Whoopdie doo. Now, the good students get the same as the poor ones. But thats a very important question though, for what? The LC students were figuring out what to do with the CAO applications and thinking about third level. Not only do they have the stress of not knowing whats going on with the exams itself (on top of the stress of studying for the exams on the basis of playing it safe and acting as if the exams will go ahead) and they are doing it with no coordinated effort in instruction/teaching from the professionals, but what about next year? How will college entry be organised? Will there be a lost year? And what impact would that have on the system?

So many questions and no sign of decisions or guidance.

BACKTOBASICS

Spanish newspaper El Pais says the 640,000 test kits Spain ordered from China mostly don't work. I hope the PPE equipment we ordered from them work better. The Visegrad group (Eastern and Central EU member states) twitter account has said that the Czechs have had a similar experience.

Because of the environmental and Green policy push of the EU, all the manufacturing (dirty) processes has being pushed to non-EU countries like China, India, Pakistan, Turkey, Bangladesh, Indonesia, Morocco, with no pollution policies, low wage, child labour intensfied industries.
The Chinese created the Coronavirus problem and now we buy their products to try and rectify it.
Western countries should now look at getting rid of the EU conglomerate and again start manufacturing products needed by each country. We simply must re-start to make things that we need. Even start with our food and particularly meat products. Unless we do this, these virus scares from unethical manufacturers and countries will continue to re-surface.

ruman

Thanks Rural. schooldays is a great site, but that's kind of my point. Your first call was not to any Dept of Education site, but a site provided by, I think, a mother "in the private sector". What is the Department of Education doing? Looks like nothing. Its appalling. The Dept of Health like I said seems flat out in this crisis but the dept of education seems to have summed up their efforts as giving all leaving cert irish students 100% in their orals.

Whoopdie doo. Now, the good students get the same as the poor ones. But thats a very important question though, for what? The LC students were figuring out what to do with the CAO applications and thinking about third level. Not only do they have the stress of not knowing whats going on with the exams itself (on top of the stress of studying for the exams on the basis of playing it safe and acting as if the exams will go ahead) and they are doing it with no coordinated effort in instruction/teaching from the professionals, but what about next year? How will college entry be organised? Will there be a lost year? And what impact would that have on the system?

So many questions and no sign of decisions or guidance.
Teachers are getting paid for not working while student nurses arent getting paid for working !

The OD

How would they go about proving that God did the act?
If they want to start pulling that sh1t, whats to stop people with potentially spurious/fraudulent claims for whiplash or other injuries getting their payout and then going to Lourdes.

When they are seen out for a jog or doing the garden they can say to the insurance investigator 'Act of God mate, innit?'

Newrybhoy2

Teachers are getting paid for not working while student nurses arent getting paid for working !
Lots of people are getting paid to sit at home whilst others are getting their normal wage for facing the most dire of consequences with little additional protection.

Time for front line workers to have their pay increased by 100% to even things out.

Marcos the black

As you don’t have to make that decision and be responsible if it is wrong, your point is moot.

It’s easy to pontificate on a message board.

If you’d been in a hospital and seen the fear that the staff have, you wouldn’t be spouting nonsense.
How are things going up North? Looks rough.

Newrybhoy2

How are things going up North? Looks rough.
No bother if you’re not a front line worker.

Being a health care worker must be terrifying but that would be the same anywhere.

Lockdown has left the streets and roads widely deserted and shops seem to have filled the shelves again. If the rate stays as it is, and the vast numbers of ventilators arrive quickly, things might work out ok.

Emily Davison

The vast majority of Covid-19 fatalities, 99 percent according to Italian research, have had a pre-morbidity, if not two or three. These are underlying health issues,like heart disease, cancer or various infections. Some might have been comatose, with life support machines and artificial breathing the only thing keeping them alive anyway.

Eventually, their bodies gave out, and they simply could not fight on any longer. But does that mean that in the absence of the coronavirus, those one thousand people would still be alive? In other words, is it really true to say that all of these people died of Covid-19? But amidst this crisis, when health systems and governments have tunnel vision for this one ailment, all one thousand are chalked off as victims of the plague.

Well if they would have died anyway you might explain to us why they have problems with so many dead bodies.

Dame_Enda

NI has just passed the Republic by in death toll. 3 more have died, bringing it to 10 deaths to our 9. Given they have around 37% of the South's population, that suggestions a much worse infection rate than ours.

raetsel

The figure was projected from an average daily rise at that stage of 35% at that point, and of course based upon the assumption that testing could keep up with the spread.
I checked the figures on a spreadsheet. At that point in time the 35% figure was quite accurate. The final figure I estimated on that basis was something around 14,800 if I remember correctly. Given the backlog in testing which has built up, the RoI may well still be on course for those numbers, and we are not seeing the true figure. It may well also be that the daily exponential rise will have diminished to a lower figure, which it will eventually, but I have my doubts.
There was nothing wrong with Varadkar's projection at the time that he made it. That is a mathematical fact.

Emily Davison

Worldometers says that 39 are in serious/critical condition in Ireland.

A great fear I have is these infections of doctors and nurses, if it were to cause a depletion of medical staff, which could make matters worse for survival of patients.
Yes Edna you should be very afraid. Best to stay indoors and endlessly post us the most dire posts. If I were you I’d order the coffin box now. At least you’d be guaranteed a fine box for a send off in your hospital gown clutching your Twitter. Especially as you’ve been forewarned of the lack of caskets. Think of how glorious you could be in the most ornate box ever. Given you're doomed you could go for gold with the last of your money seeing as you won’t be needing it much longer.

raetsel

NI has just passed the Republic by in death toll. 3 more have died, bringing it to 10 deaths to our 9. Given they have around 37% of the South's population, that suggestions a much worse infection rate than ours.

That is a bit of worrying for me, though at this stage the death rates for both are so small that I am not sure that I'd draw any firm conclusions yet. Furthermore the Republic's figure for today has yet to be announced. However I've been charting this on a spreadsheet since the 10th of March and it has become increasingly clear that the higher testing rate down there is identifying infections and isolating at a quicker rate than here. We are not getting a true picture here or even close to it.
The reality is that in both jurisdictions we have thousands perhaps still wandering about infecting others. In our household our son, who has come home for the duration, is doing the shopping. And though he is ultra careful, there is no certainty that he won't accidentally bring it into the house, although we have a tight regime for dealing with the produce brought in. Other than that, we are pretty much hermetically sealed. The other outside threat is the post, which we deal with quickly and then wash our hands thoroughly again.

blinding

Question: If you're asymptomatic and don't spread it.. i.e. you've stuck to social distancing, washed hands etc.. after two weeks (14 days from onset) are you then immune to Covid 19 and therefore no longer a carrier and cannot spread it?
Nobody knows for sure or they would be telling us pretty damn quick. Anyway without a test to say that you have had it , What ya going do ?

raetsel

No bother if you’re not a front line worker.

Being a health care worker must be terrifying but that would be the same anywhere.

Lockdown has left the streets and roads widely deserted and shops seem to have filled the shelves again. If the rate stays as it is, and the vast numbers of ventilators arrive quickly, things might work out ok.
My wife's niece has a school-friend who is a nurse in Antrim where they had their first fatality a couple of days ago. She told her how she previously loved her job, but is now working to the point of exhaustion (shift end-times have now been abandoned) and she is terrified, wondering if she can cope.
I really do think these people deserve our respect, and the population should show it by obeying requests not to put themselves at risk, and not acting stupidly.

JCR

Because of the environmental and Green policy push of the EU, all the manufacturing (dirty) processes has being pushed to non-EU countries like China, India, Pakistan, Turkey, Bangladesh, Indonesia, Morocco, with no pollution policies, low wage, child labour intensfied industries.
The Chinese created the Coronavirus problem and now we buy their products to try and rectify it.
Western countries should now look at getting rid of the EU conglomerate and again start manufacturing products needed by each country. We simply must re-start to make things that we need. Even start with our food and particularly meat products. Unless we do this, these virus scares from unethical manufacturers and countries will continue to re-surface.
Its becoming evident that every loon with a theory of everything is going to use this crisis to peddle their made up nonsense. The best thing to do is ignore them.

Popular Threads

Most Replies