Ireland's Response to the Virus

owedtojoy

Question: If you're asymptomatic and don't spread it.. i.e. you've stuck to social distancing, washed hands etc.. after two weeks (14 days from onset) are you then immune to Covid 19 and therefore no longer a carrier and cannot spread it?
"Asymptomatic and don't spread it"???

Is that possible? You could still sneeze the virus into the air.

Being immune does not mean you are not a carrier - it just means your immune system has prduced antibodies to the virus. But you could still transfer it to people who are not immune.

And we do not know if the virus can mutate like the flu and re-infect you.. There is at least another phase to go thorugh. There will have to be a phased return to "normal".

The bottom line is that the science is still playing catch-up on a variety

RasherHash

Andrew Neil
Guidance, please. Is Imperial’s Neil Ferguson, whose modelling gave us the 250,000 deaths projection and led to lockdown, now saying UK deaths 'could be substantially lower' than 20,000 -- and two thirds would have died in the next 6 months anyway?

NHS now likely to cope with coronavirus, says key scientist

owedtojoy

Because of the environmental and Green policy push of the EU, all the manufacturing (dirty) processes has being pushed to non-EU countries like China, India, Pakistan, Turkey, Bangladesh, Indonesia, Morocco, with no pollution policies, low wage, child labour intensfied industries.
The Chinese created the Coronavirus problem and now we buy their products to try and rectify it.
Western countries should now look at getting rid of the EU conglomerate and again start manufacturing products needed by each country. We simply must re-start to make things that we need. Even start with our food and particularly meat products. Unless we do this, these virus scares from unethical manufacturers and countries will continue to re-surface.
That is an economic return to the Stone Age.

Autarky, as it is known, is a recipe for backwardness and poverty. Dev tried it after WWII and we got Mass Emigration in return. North Korea tried it, but needed ties to China and Russia that keep the few lights on.

RasherHash

That is an economic return to the Stone Age.

Autarky, as it is known, is a recipe for backwardness and poverty. Dev tried it after WWII and we got Mass Emigration in return. North Korea tried it, but needed ties to China and Russia that keep the few lights on.

Nonsense.
We had mass emigration before ww2, and we had it in the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s.

Dev was supported by most of the country in trying to start and prioritise buying Irish, it made sense and was successful for years but it had definite limits and that was recognised by most including Lemas.

ruman

I'm not sure where your children are schooled, but the teachers of my children are definitely working
The elder got a few "weekly" sheet the entire contents of which he lashed through in a few hours. No correction or further input is provided.

He's in 6th class. Based on my conversations with friends this is the norm here in primary schools. Secondary schools/universities here do seem to be working.

raetsel

Because of the environmental and Green policy push of the EU, all the manufacturing (dirty) processes has being pushed to non-EU countries like China, India, Pakistan, Turkey, Bangladesh, Indonesia, Morocco, with no pollution policies, low wage, child labour intensfied industries.
The Chinese created the Coronavirus problem and now we buy their products to try and rectify it.
Western countries should now look at getting rid of the EU conglomerate and again start manufacturing products needed by each country. We simply must re-start to make things that we need. Even start with our food and particularly meat products. Unless we do this, these virus scares from unethical manufacturers and countries will continue to re-surface.
I had a stab at making my own bread this evening. Does that count? :)

Rural

Thanks Rural. schooldays is a great site, but that's kind of my point. Your first call was not to any Dept of Education site, but a site provided by, I think, a mother "in the private sector". What is the Department of Education doing? Looks like nothing. Its appalling. The Dept of Health like I said seems flat out in this crisis but the dept of education seems to have summed up their efforts as giving all leaving cert irish students 100% in their orals.

Whoopdie doo. Now, the good students get the same as the poor ones. But thats a very important question though, for what? The LC students were figuring out what to do with the CAO applications and thinking about third level. Not only do they have the stress of not knowing whats going on with the exams itself (on top of the stress of studying for the exams on the basis of playing it safe and acting as if the exams will go ahead) and they are doing it with no coordinated effort in instruction/teaching from the professionals, but what about next year? How will college entry be organised? Will there be a lost year? And what impact would that have on the system?

So many questions and no sign of decisions or guidance.

You can teach your own children, this is a great opportunity to teach them how to change the oil in the car, how to balance their pocket money and put some by for savings, how to cook a few fast simple meals, how to change a fuse in a plug, how to open up the laptop and clean out all the dust.

Anyway, you might be better teaching your children yourself -

Newrybhoy2

My wife's niece has a school-friend who is a nurse in Antrim where they had their first fatality a couple of days ago. She told her how she previously loved her job, but is now working to the point of exhaustion (shift end-times have now been abandoned) and she is terrified, wondering if she can cope.
I really do think these people deserve our respect, and the population should show it by obeying requests not to put themselves at risk, and not acting stupidly.
I’m unusually very sceptical about most things.

However, the fear I saw and heard amongst the doctors and nurses in A&E really brought it home to me that this is a very real threat.

wombat

I had a stab at making my own bread this evening. Does that count? :)
Much easier to make beer, although if you start now, the pubs should be open by the time its ready to drink. :LOL:

Emily Davison

You can teach your own children, this is a great opportunity to teach them how to change the oil in the car, how to balance their pocket money and put some by for savings, how to cook a few fast simple meals, how to change a fuse in a plug, how to open up the laptop and clean out all the dust.

Anyway, you might be better teaching your children yourself -

I don't think you need to change a fuse in a plug anymore, that used to be my job. But I've had no need to in many's the year. For the rest I agree with you. How do you clean out the dust in the laptop? Hoover, turn it upside down or what?

Emily Davison

The elder got a few "weekly" sheet the entire contents of which he lashed through in a few hours. No correction or further input is provided.

He's in 6th class. Based on my conversations with friends this is the norm here in primary schools. Secondary schools/universities here do seem to be working.
Well then it's up to you to step up to the plate. I've mine learning to type, one of them I've them on a spelling book I purchased in Ireland for their English, another I'm concentrating on learning to cook in anticipation of living away from home. etc

Then there's ironing, how to load and unload a dishwasher, how to hang out clothes correctly, how to sweep, how to weed, how to hoover the cars. We have the table tennis table out, and I'm going to order a badminton net as ours was damaged last year but I didn't have proper posts so I'm going to get them too. I've one in charge of their bathroom. They had an argument this evening about who was putting the toilet roll on top of the toilet instead of the holder so I've threatened the downstairs loo for that and for the one using a new facecloth ever day and leaving it about I've threatened the downstairs shower room. That was met with worry so hopefully we'll have an improvement from tomorrow.

raetsel

I’m unusually very sceptical about most things.

However, the fear I saw and heard amongst the doctors and nurses in A&E really brought it home to me that this is a very real threat.
They are terrified and I don't blame them. They haven't yet been adequately equipped and they are at high risk. I know of an anesthetist who has already come down with this. In Italy 37 doctors have died, and over 6k other staff have been infected, 8.3% of the total infections in the country. This is our Spanish flu, no doubt about it. We can avoid the same level of fatalities and get away with much smaller numbers, but only if we take it seriously and do as we are told.
The level of adherence today is not even great. I went for a walk in a low risk area today and could see the car parks for 2 supermarkets from a distance. There were still a lot of cars outside.

shiel

Economy to shrink by at least 7.1% due to virus - ESRI

Things are going to get fairly serious economy wise.

Volatire

The ludicrous amount of "student housing" that continues to be built is going tits up.

NAMA 2.

That I can tell you.

ruman

Well then it's up to you to step up to the plate. I've mine learning to type, one of them I've them on a spelling book I purchased in Ireland for their English, another I'm concentrating on learning to cook in anticipation of living away from home. etc

Then there's ironing, how to load and unload a dishwasher, how to hang out clothes correctly, how to sweep, how to weed, how to hoover the cars. We have the table tennis table out, and I'm going to order a badminton net as ours was damaged last year but I didn't have proper posts so I'm going to get them too. I've one in charge of their bathroom. They had an argument this evening about who was putting the toilet roll on top of the toilet instead of the holder so I've threatened the downstairs loo for that and for the one using a new facecloth ever day and leaving it about I've threatened the downstairs shower room. That was met with worry so hopefully we'll have an improvement from tomorrow.
My elder works regularly at home and cleans my business premises every week. I dont see what the current situation has to do with that. I'm not a charity, unlike the Irish taxpayer !

That said I fail to see what that has to do with trainee nurses not getting paid for working and teachers getting paid for not working.

shiel

My elder works regularly at home and cleans my business premises every week. I dont see what the current situation has to do with that. I'm not a charity, unlike the Irish taxpayer !

That said I fail to see what that has to do with trainee nurses not getting paid for working and teachers getting paid for not working.
I have just seen this heading;

'Student nurses on placement WILL be paid for duration of Covid-19 crisis
Student nurses and midwives will be offered a contract as a healthcare assistant.'

Popular Threads

Most Replies