Ireland's Response to the Virus

wombat

America is doing poorly, and their media attacks the govt. Britain is doing poorly, and their media attacks the govt.

ROI also poor, but their media are celebrating it as a national triumph.

Ah sure you can't be saying that now.
The problem in the U.S. and to a lesser extent in the UK is that the virus is still spreading and restrictions are being eased. We may have a similar problem in a few weeks if it takes off again but for now, its still in decline.

Dame_Enda

Reports this morning that AIB has decided to stop lending to people receiving the pandemic wage supports.

wombat

The bus drivers' union report that only 10% of passengers are wearing face masks so it looks like it will have to be enforced. Who will do it? will it mean having a Garda standing at the bus stops or should they make random checks - something like checking after hours drinking? I think a €100 fine would literally soften peoples' coughs. There is also a strong recommendation against foreign holidays which will be promoted by the airlines - a modest proposal - impose a €25 departure tax for the rest of the year.

Edo

Ye think thats bad......

I was in one of our major hospitals today with a relative who needed to get an x-ray - 8 hours sitting in the waiting area of A&E and I would say there was no more than 10% of STAFF were wearing a mask - whatever about rest of the patients - I'd say about the same percentage with them including myself.

It would appear to me that for the vast vast majority of our citizens under the age of 50 - this pandemic is over and happy days are hear again - its only old fogies like myself (48 years young) and older who are wearing masks and even we know what its only really stopping us giving this virus to somebody else - masks can be got everywhere now - Meself and the missues have the sanitise/maskon/sanitize/wash hands routine whenever we leave home down to a fine art now after 3 months - the lack of courtesy to our fellow citizens is something to behold .................Summer will not last forever and Winter will come again and God help us all..

As regards Foreign Travel - I do have a holiday booked for September - South of France for 2 weeks via Brittany Ferries in a little house beside the beach- all paid for nearly a year ago and I will be going if all possible despite the public shaming we will get being driven by the CMO who doing his damnedest to cover the fact that his health service have not used the time wisely to prepare us for living with Covid.

And living with Covid - not hiding away from Covid - is what we are going to have to do. IMHO there will be no vaccine before mid 2022 at the most optimistic - if ever. We might get some anti-virals that may improve the outcomes of those that get this most vile disease. I think the most we can hope for is that this virus uses its brain and realises that killing and severely damaging its host does not have a long term future and decides to mutate into something more benign..........how long that might take to happen.....who knows.....so we have to learn to live with Covid - that means masks , thats means constant hand washing that means higher personal hygiene standards and using basic common sense to treat this virus with the respect it deserves.

The Second part of my little epistle here is that both myself and my good wife work fulltime in an Airport - abeith for different companies. We haven't worked since the beginning of April - are down approx 60% of our income even with the financial supports which will soon end and the taxman waiting for me at the end of the year and it doesn't look like we will be returning to work anytime in the near future. If the CMO has his way - well I , and thousands of my colleagues in the whole airport/aviation sector will probably be made permanently unemployed as companies run out of cash and out of a future.....While I totally get where the CMO is coming from ...I dont think he really understands how big the aviation business is here - and how big a contributor to the tax coffers it is.......

Ryanair are due to restart operations on 01 Jul - it will be really interesting to see how many people are on those flights with the avalanche of medical advice against travelling and 14 day quarantine still in place. As an Airport worker - we are well used to strict protocols and procedures - we were all masked up , socially distancing and disinfecting everything within an inch of its life before we closed up at the end of March - Airports are , and will be , probably the safest place you will eat or shop in , during this pandemic purely down to the fact that we are totally aware of the threat 24/7 and that we will be first to be shut down if there is the slightest suspicion of an outbreak - unlike my local Dunnes Stores this morning , which was crawling with kids , no staff wearing masks, about 10% of the customers wearing all masks - all over 45 years AFAICS , no social distancing etc etc etc.....seriously people!

My main issue is the lack of any proper Health controls at the Border check - just a bored HSE worker giving out leaflets to those arriving passengers advising them to quarantine.....not good enough - we need a proper and rapid testing facility set up at all the Airports and quarantine facilities set up by law and proper co-operation and trust with the rest of the EU....Spain will be no worse than Dublin if everybody uses basic Covid cop -on and I hope everybody who is going abroad to "Green Countries" has a lovely holiday - you have the same chance of getting it in the Canaries as Cahersiveen.... probably less with all that UV sunshine

My two cents

wombat

.While I totally get where the CMO is coming from ...I dont think he really understands how big the aviation business is here - and how big a contributor to the tax coffers it is.......
I think that's where the political calls have to be made, do they allow travel to start given the prevalence of the virus or see hundreds of jobs vanish forever. There was a lot of fear when construction sites reopened but they seem to have controlled them, even the meat factories seem to be under control. The problem I see with opening the airports is that there seems to be no way of controlling where people come and go from.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
The aviation business in Ireland may produce some ancillary jobs in an accountants' brass plaque operations in Dublin but I wouldn't draw any great conclusions about the tax take from the aviation business in Ireland.

Aviation sales and leasing operations are never handled 'on-shore' anywhere. The only time those deals touch an 'onshore' jurisdiction is when the paperwork is going from an office in Dublin to an office in the Caymans or Bermuda.

I'd be surprised if aviation sales and leasing was producing anything more than a small amount of PAYE for accountants and clerks in Ireland. It is set up as an offshored industry to actively prevent corporation tax anywhere being applied unless it is at zero rate tax.

greencharade

The aviation business in Ireland may produce some ancillary jobs in an accountants' brass plaque operations in Dublin but I wouldn't draw any great conclusions about the tax take from the aviation business in Ireland.

Aviation sales and leasing operations are never handled 'on-shore' anywhere. The only time those deals touch an 'onshore' jurisdiction is when the paperwork is going from an office in Dublin to an office in the Caymans or Bermuda.

I'd be surprised if aviation sales and leasing was producing anything more than a small amount of PAYE for accountants and clerks in Ireland. It is set up as an offshored industry to actively prevent corporation tax anywhere being applied unless it is at zero rate tax.
As a sidebar, I have yet to get to the bottom as to why EU rules on establishment do not seem to apply here.
These rules are quite broad, requiring only a minimal activity in an EU state for the business to be established there, regardless of legal structures involved. Best described in EU data protection case law.

forest

As regards Foreign Travel - I do have a holiday booked for September - South of France for 2 weeks via Brittany Ferries in a little house beside the beach- all paid for nearly a year ago and I will be going if all possible despite the public shaming we will get being driven by the CMO who doing his damnedest to cover the fact that his health service have not used the time wisely to prepare us for living with Covid.
Fully agree with you. I have nothing booked but am planning on heading away in September and will book something in the next few weeks
This virus as already cost me two trips. The fact is without a cure or vaccine this disease will be around for a long time and it should not stop us living our lives. I am in as much danger catching the disease in Ireland as I am in most places in Europe.
This you can travel but dont thing needs to end the NPHET doesnt rule use and is only reemit is to keep Covid-19 cases down. While obviously a good thing we need to get the economy moving again and get back to normal not just worry what the new daily figures are

Reactions: Edo

Watcher2

The problem in the U.S. and to a lesser extent in the UK is that the virus is still spreading and restrictions are being eased. We may have a similar problem in a few weeks if it takes off again but for now, its still in decline.
it’s only because of the lag. There is a two week gestation period.

watch the numbers mid July.

Watcher2

The bus drivers' union report that only 10% of passengers are wearing face masks so it looks like it will have to be enforced. Who will do it? will it mean having a Garda standing at the bus stops or should they make random checks - something like checking after hours drinking? I think a €100 fine would literally soften peoples' coughs. There is also a strong recommendation against foreign holidays which will be promoted by the airlines - a modest proposal - impose a €25 departure tax for the rest of the year.
people are idiots. Enforcement needs to happen. €100 must be the minimum. A three week blitz of the public transport system by the authorities should see compliance levels pretty high.

Watcher2

yeah, the aviation industry adds quite a bit to our fake GDP stats. It probably does more harm than good as our EU contributions are based off of GDP.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Aviation leasing and fleet purchases haven't been 'onshore' for decades. Produces very little in tax beyond some PAYE and PRSI from clerks attached to a brass plaque operation at best.

Money changing hands in the billions always happens offshore, Caymans or Bermuda, so all any onshore jurisdiction is getting out of it are ancillary pennies. It is one of the examples I use when in conversation about the cannibalising effect of offshore banking and trade on onshore economies.

Tom 88

It’s funny that the uneducated hate teachers.
I totally agree that’s the way it always has been the teacher bashing in this country is unreal.We treat the people who have such a vital role in the future of our society like crap ,every day on newstalk Ciara Kelly is letting loose on teachers and then she covers up at the end with”my sister is a teacher“ .I thought she was going frontline to help out that didn’t happen using her medical training well at Denis Obrians Microphone .Honestly the anger is never directed were it should be: the government the former minister for education who looked like a rabbit in the headlights for the whole pandemic, the most over crowded classes in Europe, teachers starting and staying on crap money for years into service and classrooms that have falling infrastructure.But no all we hear is “them bleeding teachers need to get back “ typical Ireland rant over !.

greencharade

Watcher2

I totally agree that’s the way it always has been the teacher bashing in this country is unreal.We treat the people who have such a vital role in the future of our society like crap ,every day on newstalk Ciara Kelly is letting loose on teachers and then she covers up at the end with”my sister is a teacher“ .I thought she was going frontline to help out that didn’t happen using her medical training well at Denis Obrians Microphone .Honestly the anger is never directed were it should be: the government the former minister for education who looked like a rabbit in the headlights for the whole pandemic, the most over crowded classes in Europe, teachers starting and staying on crap money for years into service and classrooms that have falling infrastructure.But no all we hear is “them bleeding teachers need to get back “ typical Ireland rant over !.
It’s more the teachers unions than the teachers. The unions are less and less representative of teachers as time passes. I would bet my bottom dollar that the shit show that was the handling of the pandemic in the education sector is down to the fingers of the unions all over it.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom