Ireland's Response to the Virus

Watcher2

Thousands of bar workers paid for themselves and families to go on holidays pre pandemic.
Only to be left with a decision to not travel and lose their money (Due to conflicting government advice again)...or go on holiday and salvage something.
Then to be told they could lose their PUP money by government if they were not looking for work......what were they supposed to do...look for work in already closed bars?
Many professions and people were in the same situation...the coalition of chaos don't have a clue what they are doing.
I guess there is nothing to stop them signing on to normal unemployment benefit/allowance.

Watcher2

That is very far from the truth.

The following are the Figures of GDP per capita for Greece Ireland and Venezuela.

Greece 19,582
Ireland 78,661
Venezuela 16,055

Ireland made a miracle recovery since the collapse in 2010.

Where we could be is shown by the figures of Greece and Venezuela each of which have more resources, better climate and bigger populations.
jesus, people still using GDP to try to prove a point of how good we are. It’s cupping idiotic.

Watcher2

Well I dont know.

Maybe the words, 'global pandemic' and 'annual holiday' dont sit well with me.
I'm not trying to down people that consider a foreign holiday an essential of life, but you know...global pandemic and all of that...
a holiday anywhere is not essential. Plenty to do to help you unwind without going to stay in a different property, in Ireland or abroad.

Dearghoul

a holiday anywhere is not essential. Plenty to do to help you unwind without going to stay in a different property, in Ireland or abroad.
I'm gutted when I think of the prospects of small hotels across all reaches of the western seaboard, and there, should be where the domestic buck should be applied, if at all possible.

Watcher2

I'm gutted when I think of the prospects of small hotels across all reaches of the western seaboard, and there, should be where the domestic buck should be applied, if at all possible.
Exactly. And where is Tourism Ireland at the minute? Is it bending to popular belief that management should listen to the dictat of employees on when to reopen offices and return to work?

forest

Yes but its RTE reporting something they say they saw. However, it doesn't help their narrative as it sounds like most whose payments have been stopped no longer live here. The SW dept have had many years of practice at dealing with dodgy claims from welfare tourists.
I still want to know how they found out. Where they checking everyone, spot checking or getting info from somewhere else. I am thinking particularly of that woman who had a trip booked but didnt go on it but yet they still found out about it and cut her PuP

forest

also that musician guy saying that a guard came up to him saying he was doing an immigration check. We dont do external checks on people leaving the country. I have never been asked for my passport by anyone other than the airline when traveling from ireland

WayOutWest

That is not true.

She was a member of government that rescued this country from bankruptcy.

If some of the people who are complaining were in power they would have this country half way between Greece and Venezuela.
That would put us in the south Atlantic and hopefully we would have better weather.

shiel

That would put us in the south Atlantic and hopefully we would have better weather.
My geography might be wrong but I think both Greece and Venezuela are in the northern hemisphere.

They are however both nearer the equator and are a bit warmer than we are.

There was a great interview with a Kerry man who came back from working in Saudi Arabia some time ago.

Asked what he missed most when he was in Saudi he said being on Derrynane beach in a gale and the rain coming down in sheets.

There is no satisfying us.

shiel

jesus, people still using GDP to try to prove a point of how good we are. It’s cupping idiotic.
The equivalent income per capita is as follows.

Greece 10,187
Ireland 32,111

Cannot get the Venezuela income per capita.

I do not know if the figures are equivalent but I got an income per capita of 9,013 for Venezuela.

Anyway Ireland looks better despite having gone broke in 2010.

Last edited:

Emily Davison

SeanieFitz

The facts and figures in this article about the US are shocking:

The impact of the Covid-19 pandemic has been greater in the US than on any other country in lives and jobs lost. As the US passes 150,000 fatalities from the virus, we have gathered some of the most shocking data.
Almost everything about the US is shocking at the moment. less than 100 days to their election and it will be some cluster f0ck of a lead in to election day

Watcher2

Almost everything about the US is shocking at the moment. less than 100 days to their election and it will be some cluster f0ck of a lead in to election day
Trump will likely delay the election based on public health emergency etc. I presume that is within his powers.

Super Caley

Trump will likely delay the election based on public health emergency etc. I presume that is within his powers.
Is it?

Any US constitutional experts here?
Is there a precedent does any one know? I don't think they did that during the world wars did they?
It would certainly inflame an already toxic political environment if her did try to do that

SeanieFitz

Is it?

Is there a precedent does any one know? I don't think they did that during the world wars did they?
It would certainly inflame an already toxic political environment if her did try to do that
if it looks like he is going to lose as election day looms then i reckon he is capable of anything, all bets are off.

Watcher2

Is it?

I agree with you. I don’t know if it is in his powers. If it is, I can see him taking it. If he doesn’t extend his first term somehow, he won’t escape the statute of limitations on al, the criminal charges awaiting him at the end of his presidency.

wombat

I doubt it, they held an election during the civil war which Lincoln feared he would lose, there again, Trumps is no Lincoln :LOL:

New Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom