Irelands RWC 2023 Host Bid

General Urko

I haven't seen a specific thread on this, despite searching, but please merge if there is one and I have put it in Cand C because it transcends sport!
But today is an important milestone as our high powered team including Leo, Phil Browne of The IRFU, The GAA President and Garda Niamh Briggs and of course BOD, are making a 30 minute presentation to The Rugby World Council with a Q and afterwards.
Apparently it has been strongly emphasised that it is an All Ireland bid, the stadia (thanks to The GAA in no small way) will be ready and it will be backed by over 200 Million.
My understanding is that for all sorts of reasons, our competitors, France and South Africa in rugby terms are in deep shyte and both have already hosted it.
Apparently, Young Macron, won't be turning up for their bid!
This is the biggest event we could hold on our own so let's be having it!
The decision is taken in November.
Boner and ex Blackrock Boy, Bob The Gob have sent messages to the decision makers to support the bid also!
I suppose the major risk is Dickie Spring is the bid chairperson!:rolleyes:

Rugby World Cup: Ireland submits bid for 2023 tournament - BBC Sport

Theresa May has backed Ireland's bid to host the Rugby World Cup

https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2017/0925/907332-irelands-rugby-world-cup-2023-bid/

Ireland 2023 | Home

Part of the pitch -

Ireland 2023 will capture the imagination of the world. We promise to stage a Rugby World Cup full of Irish spirit and commercial success, that will help drive rugby's global momentum.

razorblade

Apparently France are willing to pay as much as they can to get the tournament i cant see us matching their bid.

mr. jings

I don't have a ball sports bone in my body, but this could be great for the country if the 200m has been worked out as something we'd recoup as a nation through hosting the event. I hope they've factored in that I and others like me may need special medical cards for the duration though, for the raging acute pains in the hoop we'll be getting from an overdose of rugby if we do swing the bid.

PO'Neill

Website
www.facebook.com
This promotion video looks more like a party political broadcast for FG and Shane Ross than a bid for the RWC. Varadkar is featured on it more than Brian O'Drisscoll or the IRFU President !!

[video=youtube;3iLJeU0VK-U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iLJeU0VK-U[/video]

ruserious

Apparently France are willing to pay as much as they can to get the tournament i cant see us matching their bid.
They are using the son of a dead man to tearfully bring back the tournament after hosting it only in 2007. They are the least favourite to win and rightly so. Most countries hate South Africa and is miles away to travel. Ireland will win.

Sync

Are we merging the bid with Scotland? I think that would be more palatable.

NMunsterman

1. Are we merging the bid with Scotland?2. I think that would be more palatable.
1.No
2. Why do you say that ?

razorblade

They are using the son of a dead man to tearfully bring back the tournament after hosting it only in 2007. They are the least favourite to win and rightly so. Most countries hate South Africa and is miles away to travel. Ireland will win.
We will never get to host the football world cup or Olympic games so this is our best chance to hosting a major sports tournament its only a pity it has to be rugby and not football.

Nitrogen

IT seems to be pleasantly surprised that Theresa May has "backed Ireland's bid".

Seeing as it is an all-island bid, and thus a joint RoI-UK venture, and there is no other competing UK bid, it would have been rather odd had she done otherwise.

commonman

I hope some one else gets it, we have not got the money for RW 2023, one can just imagine all the corruption that will go on . remember the last olympics !l

Nitrogen

Are we merging the bid with Scotland? I think that would be more palatable.
Did we not try that the last time we made a bid like this, was it for the soccer Euros in 2008?

It didn't go well if I remember rightly.

But then I think Croke park wasn't on the table at the time

General Urko

eoghanacht

It's fvcked, it got Theresa May's seal of approval.

Disillusioned democrat

Shane Ross was appalling this morning justifying the bid...he's such an embarrassment to the country....Enda Kenny must have had a sense of humour making him the minister responsible for sport as he comes across as a man who would struggle to even swing a croquet mallet.

Sync

1.No
2. Why do you say that ?
1. It's more likely to get the support of England and Wales
2. It guarantees the support of the 6th best country in the world
3. It gives us Murrayfield, which is a huge emotional draw for rugby
4. Splits the cost
5. Reduces the need to negotiate with the GAA which will A: Be a complete pain in the ass for the IRFU B: Increases the amount of rugby money going into rugby grounds.
6. Reduces the overcrowding and increased costs associated with that for Ireland's main cities. There were 400k visitors associated with the WC in NZ, you can have too much of a good thing.
7. Makes it cheaper for some fans.

General Urko

Did we not try that the last time we made a bid like this, was it for the soccer Euros in 2008?

It didn't go well if I remember rightly.

But then I think Croke park wasn't on the table at the time
That bid actually came a very distant last apparently! sure the decision makers weren't even allowed into Croker when they came here!
However, both FAs joined together to put forward an important initiative to UEFA subsequently - to extend The Euro Finals to 24 teams, which was a magnificent success in France, last year. Ironically, we qualified for it instead of Scotland!

General Urko

Shane Ross was appalling this morning justifying the bid...he's such an embarrassment to the country....Enda Kenny must have had a sense of humour making him the minister responsible for sport as he comes across as a man who would struggle to even swing a croquet mallet.
AFAIK we invented croquet!:rolleyes:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies