• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Ireland's Self Destruction Gene - How Europe Took Advantage of a Fatal Flaw

Malbekh

Here's a question for you, what do the following countries have in common:

Austria
Belgium
Cyprus
Estonia
Finland - According to Lempo Finland are as bad as us and thus should be excluded from the list
France
Germany
Greece
Italy
Luxembourg
Malta
Netherlands
Portugal
Slovakia
Slovenia
Spain?

Yes indeed, they are all members of the Eurozone. But that's not it. Can you tell which country is missing? That's right, Ireland. So what have these countries got in common with each other that excludes the Irish Republic?

Easy, none of them have a paranoid requirement to be liked. None of these countries care one jot what anyone else thinks about them, and most of them take a lot of pleasure about being disliked. These countries have great pride in terms of status in the world and how they are looked upon politically, economically and in some cases militarily. But unlike ourselves, they don't have this pathological desire to be liked by all and sundry.

In fact, there is only one other country in Europe that shares ours self-obsessed desire to be liked.

The UK.

Both of us hate criticism and obsess about our national image in relation to others. But there is a critical difference between the UK and us. The UK has a very heightened sense of what is right, just and fair. This allows then to sack politicians and men of influence and power. This allows them to stand tall and proud when faced with what they perceive as bullying tactics by larger countries or groups.

Unfortunately, we don't have this heightened sense of justice. That's not to say that we don't understand what is right or wrong, we just don't actually do anything about it.

We appease, others oppose
We give in, others give out
We take a soft line, they take a hard line
We wait patiently, with begging bowl, in line, while other just take what they want

And we do this, because we want to be liked. Because we are worried about our image. Because of this, we are where we are.

Well, we should be happy, people still like us....

Last edited:

drummed

Extraordinary post laden with totally unproven sweeping assertions and generalisations. Back to retirement for you if this is all you have to add. We have bob/neutron and countless others to start these brain dead rants already. We don't need you doing it as well.

greenbacks

Just looking at Sarkozy condescendingly patting Kenny on the cheek..pathetic.

Our Taoiseach is a simpleton.

RobertW

We want foreigners to like us. . . . But we're ruthless to our own!

drummed

Are you pandering to the simpletons around here are you or did you actually start this thread on purpose? You can already see the type of thoughtful considered response you'll get above.

an modh coinniolach

Here's a question for you, what do the following countries have in common:

Austrial
Belgium
Cyprus
Estonia
Finland
France
Germany
Greece
Italy
Luxembourg
Malta
Netherlands
Portugal
Slovakia
Slovenia
Spain?

Yes indeed, they are all members of the Eurozone. But that's not it. Can you tell which country is missing? That's right, Ireland. So what have these countries got in common with each other that excludes the Irish Republic?

Easy, none of them have a paranoid requirement to be liked. None of these countries care one jot what anyone else thinks about them, and most of them take a lot of pleasure about being disliked. These countries have great pride in terms of status in the world and how they are looked upon politically, economically and in some cases militarily. But unlike ourselves, they don't have this pathological desire to be liked by all and sundry.

In fact, there is only one other country in Europe that shares ours self-obsessed desire to be liked.

The UK.

Both of us hate criticism and obsess about our national image in relation to others. But there is a critical difference between the UK and us. The UK has a very heightened sense of what is right, just and fair. This allows then to sack politicians and men of influence and power. This allows them to stand tall and proud when faced with what they perceive as bullying tactics by larger countries or groups.

Unfortunately, we don't have this heightened sense of justice. That's not to say that we don't understand what is right or wrong, we just don't actually do anything about it.

We appease, others oppose
We give in, others give out
We take a soft line, they take a hard line
We wait patiently, with begging bowl, in line, while other just take what they want

And we do this, because we want to be liked. Because we are worried about our image. Because of this, we are where we are.

Well, we should be happy, people still like us....
On fire today sir. Would liking this defeat the point of the post?

Malbekh

Extraordinary post laden with totally unproven sweeping assertions and generalisations. Back to retirement for you if this is all you have to add. We have bob/neutron and countless others to start these brain dead rants already. We don't need you doing it as well.
You're entitled to your opinion, as I am mine. You're not entitled to shut me up though. If you have an issue with the post then debate, rather than inserting your own sweeping assertions and generalisations.

drummed

You're entitled to your opinion, as I am mine. You're not entitled to shut me up though. If you have an issue with the post then debate, rather than inserting your own sweeping assertions and generalisations.
That's the whole point! You offered no opinion, no facts, no examples, nothing. Just a few random thoughts which may or may not have any validity. Could have thought up and wrote the whole thing in 30 seconds. Do you have any evidence for any of your claims? Any links, supporting articles,etc, etc. Otherwise its just a half-baked invite to the many posters with limited comprehension skills to ramble on about god knows what in a familiar manner.

Malbekh

That's the whole point! You offered no opinion, no facts, no examples, nothing. Just a few random thoughts which may or may not have any validity. Could have thought up and wrote the whole thing in 30 seconds. Do you have any evidence for any of your claims? Any links, supporting articles,etc, etc. Otherwise its just a half-baked invite to the many posters with limited comprehension skills to ramble on about god knows what in a familiar manner.
Yes I have evidence, it's called the Bank Guarantee Scheme, it's called the promissory note saga, it's called taking private debt and making it public. It's called a repeatedly cowardly approach in our dealings with the EU and the ECB. How can you explain why a group of people would bankrupt a country repeatedly, and the people would just take it?

But that's OK, people like us, in fact the ECB and Eurozone think we're fantastic. So pucker up lads, get ready for some more ass kissing.

Half Nelson

And I thought we were only worried about what the neighbours might think.

drummed

Lets make it simple so. Take Estonia. Why do you beleive Estonians don't care as a nation what anyone thinks about them? Have you been in Estonia and established these facts for yourself or are you just rehashing some lazy concept you imagined would be populist? I look forward to you analysis of Estonia's mindset with interest.

Half Nelson

Yes I have evidence, it's called the Bank Guarantee Scheme, it's called the promissory note saga, it's called taking private debt and making it public. It's called a repeatedly cowardly approach in our dealings with the EU and the ECB. How can you explain why a group of people would bankrupt a country repeatedly, and the people would just take it?

But that's OK, people like us, in fact the ECB and Eurozone think we're fantastic. So pucker up lads, get ready for some more ass kissing.
We don't take to the streets and engage in open warfare, but we're masters of the long grass.

Malbekh

Lets make it simple so. Take Estonia. Why do you beleive Estonians don't care as a nation what anyone thinks about them? Have you been in Estonia and established these facts for yourself or are you just rehashing some lazy concept you imagined would be populist? I look forward to you analysis of Estonia's mindset with interest.
No I haven't been to Estonia. Maybe you mentioned it because you've been there yourself. But I doubt very much if you were there that you asked them about their attitude about being liked as a nation. My point is that I just don't see this sycophantic gene in other nations.

Shpake

Well just one simple observation... What is that quote from some Frenchman in the misty pages of history: "Ireland, Aaaah! that is the island behind the island". And this lends some geographic support to Malkbekh's contention. Progress and new ideas are all taking place in the main arena. We need to keep a connection to the outside world. All or nearly all the new ideas come from overseas. Now if we had discovered the gold of south america or started an industrial revolution, why then we could afford to live in "splendid isolation" like Victorian and Edwardian England. But we lacked the coal and iron deposits for heavy industry. As a small open economy we thrive on having good relations and trade relations with the well off in the world... but there is a case for just keeping the smiles just for trade. We don't seem to be able to say no to all the bad stuff that comes our way.

Hitch 22

Should we start getting all Joe Pesci with everyone then? :lol:

[video=youtube;mbwqeSV8Wc4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbwqeSV8Wc4[/video]