Ireland's self-pity and antisemitism during WWII

L'Chaim

In the 1930s the Irish Coordinating Committee for the Relief of Christian Refugees was set up in the Republic. Jews, fleeing Nazi persecution, who converted to Christianity were allowed to settle in the country. Those who had not were barred. In fact TD, Oliver Flannigan, who went on to become Minister for Defence in the 1970s, said in the Dail “There is one thing that Germany did and that was to rout the Jews out of their country,” he declared, saying that Ireland should follow suit. “They crucified our savior 1,900 years ago and they are crucifying us every day of the week.”

Soon after that dreadful speech, Flanagan questioned DeValera, the Irish prime minister, on plans for Ireland to take in 500 Jewish children from France. Under pressure, Dev denied that the children were Jewish. Flanagan’s intervention, however, had the desired effect and the political row he had helped to stoke ensured that Ireland ultimately opted to leave the children to their fate under the Nazis.

Ireland showed no sympathy for the plight of Europe's Jews under Nazi rule. As Fintan O’Toole of the Irish Times has argued, Irish policy was “infected with a toxic combination of anti-Semitism and self-pity.” Even after the war Irish ministers and civil servants viewed Jews as “enemies of faith and fatherland” who should be shut of the country.

There's a very good article in Today's Times of Israel detailing Ireland's antisemitism at that time, and how the Catholic Church in Eastern Europe was basically involved in war crimes.
When Ireland rejected Jewish orphans fleeing Nazis, this man saved dozens | The Times of Israel

It makes for shocking reading. And what's more shocking is that it took the Irish government nearly sixty years to acknowledge that the Republic of Ireland had been “antipathetic, hostile and unfeeling” towards the Jews trapped and persecuted under Nazi rule.

LISTOWEL MAN

Ireland took sides after 9/11

right now we're helping the U.S. murder people

i am not even a little surprised that we were anti Semitic during ww2

PBP voter

This thread will confuse the antisemitic scum on this site.

They will have to defend FF FG Lab.

JimmyFoley

In the 1930s the Irish Coordinating Committee for the Relief of Christian Refugees was set up in the Republic. Jews, fleeing Nazi persecution, who converted to Christianity were allowed to settle in the country. Those who had not were barred. In fact TD, Oliver Flannigan, who went on to become Minister for Defence in the 1970s, said in the Dail “There is one thing that Germany did and that was to rout the Jews out of their country,” he declared, saying that Ireland should follow suit. “They crucified our savior 1,900 years ago and they are crucifying us every day of the week.”

Soon after that dreadful speech, Flanagan questioned DeValera, the Irish prime minister, on plans for Ireland to take in 500 Jewish children from France. Under pressure, Dev denied that the children were Jewish. Flanagan’s intervention, however, had the desired effect and the political row he had helped to stoke ensured that Ireland ultimately opted to leave the children to their fate under the Nazis.

Ireland showed no sympathy for the plight of Europe's Jews under Nazi rule. As Fintan O’Toole of the Irish Times has argued, Irish policy was “infected with a toxic combination of anti-Semitism and self-pity.” Even after the war Irish ministers and civil servants viewed Jews as “enemies of faith and fatherland” who should be shut of the country.

There's a very good article in Today's Times of Israel detailing Ireland's antisemitism at that time, and how the Catholic Church in Eastern Europe was basically involved in war crimes.
When Ireland rejected Jewish orphans fleeing Nazis, this man saved dozens | The Times of Israel

It makes for shocking reading. And what's more shocking is that it took the Irish government nearly sixty years to acknowledge that the Republic of Ireland had been “antipathetic, hostile and unfeeling” towards the Jews trapped and persecuted under Nazi rule.
Shocking but not surprising. Same for the US, Britain, Canada etc.

Hitler, though it pains me to admit it, was right when he asked(to paraphrase) why did all those democratic countries, who believed themselves to be so superior to Germany, refuse to take in large numbers of Jews if they had such a problem with the Nazis' policy towards them.

Connollyist a/c no.2

I seriously doubt that is true. There is probably some truth to it but no citations are provided.

I am suprised there was no mention of the fascist, anti-jew party ailtiri na hairseaghe recieving support from senior fine gael politicians and getting 9 seats in the local elections.

Spanner Island

In 70 years time I wonder will there be a similar thread on an Israeli political forum about an article in let's say the Times of Palestine about Israeli treatment of Palestinians in the occupied territories?

Just saying.

Aindriu

In 70 years time I wonder will there be a similar thread on an Israeli political forum about an article in let's say the Times of Palestine about Israeli treatment of Palestinians in the occupied territories?

Just saying.
Last time I checked Jews weren't gassing 'Palestinians'.

Aindriu

Spanner Island

Last time I checked Jews weren't gassing 'Palestinians'.
The Irish weren't gassing Jews either.

Look - it's a dreadful legacy we've got in relation to all sorts... including this and of course domestically with horrendous stuff done by generations of Irish people to Irish people...

I'm not denying that... and Flanagan sounds like he was a total f***ing tool.

Stones and glass houses applies however... and I personally am just a bit jaded with the growing hypocrisy that seems to be part and parcel of the blame game culture.

JimmyFoley

That was almost 80 years ago.
If you find it shocking that behaviour from 80 years ago doesn't align with today's standards, then there's little hope for you.
What's shocking is that most Brits and Yanks today think their countries were totes brill in relation to their treatment of the Jews who were facing persecution .

gerhard dengler

OP does not mention that Oliver J. Flanagan subsequently apologised for the remarks made in his maiden speech to Dail Eireann.

GDPR

I seriously doubt that is true. There is probably some truth to it but no citations are provided.

I am suprised there was no mention of the nazi party ailtiri na airseaghe recieving support from senior fine gael politicians and getting 9 seats in the local elections.
Uh, Ailtiri Na Airseaghe (the Architects of the Resurrection) while much more of a cultural and Spiritual movement than anything political were generally (though not exclusively) Anti-Treaty and most certainly not Nazi. If anyone ever gets a chance to read back issues of their newspaper Aiseiri they should definitely take because they make for really fascinating and enlightening reading (though yes there is some complete crack pottery and plain silly Anti-Communism in there as well). The recent book on them was basically a cheap hack job.

Aindriu

Connollyist a/c no.2

Uh, Ailtiri Na Airseaghe (the Architects of the Resurrection) while much more of a cultural and Spiritual movement than anything political were generally (though not exclusively) Anti-Treaty and most certainly not Nazi. If anyone ever gets a chance to read back issues of their newspaper Aiseiri they should definitely take because they make for really fascinating and enlightening reading (though yes there is some complete crack pottery and plain silly Anti-Communism in there as well). The recent book on them was basically a cheap hack job.
Yeah I edited it almost straight after. I replaced it with "fascist, anti-jew", which they were. They literally wanted Ireland to become an imperial power like Germany or the Roman Empire.

New Threads