Ireland’s social policy record ‘below EU average’.

eoghanacht

The State stands 17th in an EU table of “social justice”.

Report uses 38 indicators to assess factors such as poverty, education and discrimination.

Across the six social policy indicators Ireland joins the ranks of the top 10 states only once (on social cohesion and non-discrimination), although it never sinks into the bottom five. Ireland achieves a 9/10 score for successfully fighting discrimination in the report, which pays tribute to the role of the Equality Authority (now part of the Irish Human Rights and Equality Commission) in this regard.
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/ireland-s-social-policy-record-below-eu-average-1.3293264?mode=amp

https://www.bertelsmann-stiftung.de/en/about-us/who-we-are/organization/

It is in education (where Ireland ranks 21st), however, that the report points to the most substantial policy challenges. Ireland spends just 0.1 per cent of GDP on pre-primary education, the least of all in the EU, it says.

Only 80 per cent of the working-age population have attained at least an upper secondary education, a share that has significantly increased since 2007. In first place on this metric is Lithuania at 94.6 per cent.

The report is critical of the class bias in “two-tier” secondary education. “A minority of pupils (about 10 per cent) attend fee-paying schools where State support is augmented by the revenue from fees that can amount to €6,000 a year,” it notes.

GDPR

So much for "Yes" for equality......
Education is a real issue of equality and in fairness the church should be ashamed of itself for its association with the running of private schools. That said the state shouldn't allow it at all.

bob3344

Ireland spends just 0.1 per cent of GDP on pre-primary education, the least of all in the EU, it says.
We could certainly do with subsidised pre-school childcare. Its ludicrously expensive. Make it easier for working parents/taxpayers to have kids.

gleeful

We could certainly do with subsidised pre-school childcare. Its ludicrously expensive. Make it easier for working parents/taxpayers to have kids.
Certainly child care should be tax deductable.

Deadlock

I fully agree. But my guess is there is no way Irish people would countenance the increases in taxes required, even if such services could be delivered as efficiently as they are in Denmark.

gleeful

I fully agree. But my guess is there is no way Irish people would countenance the increases in taxes required, even if such services could be delivered as efficiently as they are in Denmark.
I think we would support it actually. We support the free 3 hours a day thing. Short step to expand it to 8 hours.

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
Well, we could always work on reducing the bloat of the public and semi-public sector or perhaps stop borrowing money to give to Uganda?

Deadlock

Well, we could always work on reducing the bloat of the public and semi-public sector or perhaps stop borrowing money to give to Uganda?
Funny how those issues are not issues for our Scandinavian cousins - they're amongst the most generous donors of foreign aid.

GDPR

Funny how those issues are not issues for our Scandinavian cousins - they're amongst the most generous donors of foreign aid.
Fundamentally Scandinavians, like most northern Europeans, are statists and we're not, there's a world of difference in our mentalities.

GDPR

Education is a real issue of equality and in fairness the church should be ashamed of itself for its association with the running of private schools. That said the state shouldn't allow it at all.
That is true, and to be honest the Church in Ireland, probably from the time of Maynooth being set up onwards as a pretty shameful record as regards it's Hierarchy in exercising it's prophetic role to speak out for actual Social Justice.

Deadlock

Fundamentally Scandinavians are statists and we're not, there's a world of difference in our mentalities.
I'd disagree.

This whole board is full of many very legitimate alongside many wholly spurious moans about what the Government/State/whoever ought to do about X. Very very few threads, serious or spurious, suggest how X is to paid for. It seems there's no problem with proposing Government intervention until the need to pay for it arises. We want the benefits of greater Statism without paying the tax levels required to fund it.

GDPR

That is true, and to be honest the Church in Ireland, probably from the time of Maynooth being set up onwards as a pretty shameful record as regards it's Hierarchy in exercising it's prophetic role to speak out for actual Social Justice.
Some do, but very few. If they had any sense at leadership level they'd know that if they're to do any good at all, that's where they'll do it.

ionsniffer

Who needs social justice when you have Apple and Facebook hipster companies hiring here.
It's all about business. Screw ordinary people

GDPR

I'd disagree.

This whole board is full of many very legitimate alongside many wholly spurious moans about what the Government/State/whoever ought to do about X. Very very few threads, serious or spurious, suggest how X is to paid for. It seems there's no problem with proposing Government intervention until the need to pay for it arises. We want the benefits of greater Statism without paying the tax levels required to fund it.
I'd still say I'm right on the basic point.

Very many people, particularly of the "activist" type either don't like or don't understand "reality", the cause and effect of one policy on another or generally the need for maintaining a balanced approach while you try to move forward across a broad front.

It is true to say everyone wants everything. but largely want someone else to pay for it.

GDPR

Who needs social justice when you have Apple and Facebook hipster companies hiring here.
It's all about business. Screw ordinary people
Or have it your way, don't have Apple or Facebook here and let the ordinary people be screwed entirely.

Deadlock

I'd still say I'm right on the basic point.

Very many people, particularly of the "activist" type either don't like or don't understand "reality", the cause and effect of one policy on another or generally the need for maintaining a balanced approach while you try to move forward across a broad front.

It is true to say everyone wants everything. but largely want someone else to pay for it.
I can agree with the bulk of your post.

New Threads

Most Replies