IRFU Flag

Stroke

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 26, 2003
Messages
450
With the Rugby World Cup only a few weeks away, I want to put up a flag outside my house in support of Ireland. As this is a 32-county team, and my very good neighbout next door is from Ballymena (hye!) I don't think the ROI tricolour is appropriate. Does anyone know where a man can get an IRFU flag? I think it's blue with shamrock on it...?
 


NeilW

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 31, 2005
Messages
4,420
Stroke said:
I think it's blue with shamrock on it...?
It's a flag with the emblems of each of the 4 provinces on it. But you might as well just fly a tricolour if that's all you have. I'm sure your neighbour will understand.
 

M R-Foynes

Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2007
Messages
9
Website
www.orangenet.org
St. Pats flag. Get it on the internet for a few quid.
 
Joined
Jul 16, 2007
Messages
46
This sort of PC nonsence never fails to surprise me. People afraid to fly the national flag for fear of offending the bloke next door. :roll:
 

Munion

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 17, 2006
Messages
317
IRFU shop online or Elverys should stock them me thinks.
 

DOD

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 25, 2003
Messages
642
Stroke said:
With the Rugby World Cup only a few weeks away, I want to put up a flag outside my house in support of Ireland. As this is a 32-county team, and my very good neighbout next door is from Ballymena (hye!) I don't think the ROI tricolour is appropriate. Does anyone know where a man can get an IRFU flag? I think it's blue with shamrock on it...?
Put the tricolour up and let your neighbour f off. I hate this PC shite.
 

DOD

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 25, 2003
Messages
642
Stroke said:
I think it's blue with shamrock on it...?
That's for cricket. I think the tricolour is fully accepted as the fflag for rugby. I was delighted lately when I downloaded Brian Lara's cricket game for my phone and instead of that blue abomination, they used the tricolour as our flag. Take that ICC. :p
 

DOD

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 25, 2003
Messages
642
M R-Foynes said:
St. Pats flag. Get it on the internet for a few quid.
That's our official flag for bowls by the way.
 

johnfás

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 22, 2007
Messages
2,715
DOD said:
Stroke said:
I think it's blue with shamrock on it...?
That's for cricket. I think the tricolour is fully accepted as the fflag for rugby. I was delighted lately when I downloaded Brian Lara's cricket game for my phone and instead of that blue abomination, they used the tricolour as our flag. Take that ICC. :p
Tricolour isn't accepted as the flag for rugby by IRFU protocol. You could use either



Or you can often get this (The IRFU flag) in Elvery's with the colours reversed. That is a green flag with a white emblem.



On international match day the IRFU four provinces flag flies alongside the tricolour at games played in the Republic of Ireland. However, the 4 provinces flag flies alongside the opposition flag as the flag of the actual teams playing. The Tricolour is the next in the line.
 

DOD

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 25, 2003
Messages
642
johnfás said:
DOD said:
Stroke said:
I think it's blue with shamrock on it...?
That's for cricket. I think the tricolour is fully accepted as the fflag for rugby. I was delighted lately when I downloaded Brian Lara's cricket game for my phone and instead of that blue abomination, they used the tricolour as our flag. Take that ICC. :p
Tricolour isn't accepted as the flag for rugby by IRFU protocol.
I'm pretty sure it is you know. it is the official flag used at all matches. The tricolour is our flag and that is that.
 

DOD

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 25, 2003
Messages
642
White Horse said:
bobbysands81 said:
The correct flag to fly is the Tricolour.

....and fire bomb your neighbour's house if he complains :roll:
Why should he complain. An Irishman flying an irish flag during the world cup. What does he expect? :roll:
 

bobbysands81

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 3, 2005
Messages
946
As posted in the first response to this thread the Tricolour is the official flag according to the IRFU.
 

DOD

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 25, 2003
Messages
642
The tricolour isn't my preferred flag either. I would prefer the original Starry Plough, but the tricolour is our national flag. Simple as. They all ready ruined the national anthem for us.
 

johnfás

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 22, 2007
Messages
2,715
DOD said:
johnfás said:
DOD said:
Stroke said:
I think it's blue with shamrock on it...?
That's for cricket. I think the tricolour is fully accepted as the fflag for rugby. I was delighted lately when I downloaded Brian Lara's cricket game for my phone and instead of that blue abomination, they used the tricolour as our flag. Take that ICC. :p
Tricolour isn't accepted as the flag for rugby by IRFU protocol.
I'm pretty sure it is you know. it is the official flag used at all matches. The tricolour is our flag and that is that.
I'm absolutely positive it isn't. I work in Lansdowne Road for every international rugby match and I can assure you that it is not the flag used at all matches. The flags appear in the protocol I outlined above. E-mail the IRFU if you would like clarification.
 

NeilW

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 31, 2005
Messages
4,420
DOD said:
I'm pretty sure it is you know. it is the official flag used at all matches. The tricolour is our flag and that is that.
No isn't the official flag used at all matches - try looking for it at the World Cup (or at Ravenhill against Italy). And the tricolour is the flag of the Republic of Ireland, our rugby (and hockey and cricket and whatever else) teams are drawn from both the Republic and Northern Ireland. Would you prefer they fielded separate teams or for Northern Irish players to play for British teams?
 

gaelach

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 11, 2006
Messages
2,241
White Horse said:
bobbysands81 said:
The correct flag to fly is the Tricolour.

....and fire bomb your neighbour's house if he complains :roll:
Ah Jaysus no.

Even if he did complain(very unlikely that he would..imagine fluing your country's flag...crazy stuff :| )Why would you attack him?
 


New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top