IRFU - Hypocritical?

reg11

Is there not an absurdity in the IRFU/Ulster taking action against players based on assumed infringements to do with their ’responsibility and commitment to the core values of the game -respect, inclusivity and integrity’. Have they not themselves violated the 1st and the 3rd of those listed values by accepting sponsorship from an organisation that has shown disregard for those values, time and again?

Does it have the moral authority to take action against players for assumed violations when it seemingly openly violates those core values itself? Also, might the openness of such a violation, i.e. leading by example clearly demonstrate to young impressionable minds through subliminal learning that such values are really just B.S, thus reasonably giving cause for them to also act negatively with regard to claimed values? Note, in this case I don’t believe the players violated those values to any great degree, in comparison to the IRFU. I feel they’ve been done a grave injustice.

I hear the IRFU are now going to have programmes of education for young players and the like, but will they first demonstrate through example by doing what they need to do? Or does everybody continue to look the other way and get all moralistic again, when the next young player is found not to be so squeaky clean?

derryman

Is there not an absurdity in the IRFU/Ulster taking action against players based on assumed infringements to do with their ’responsibility and commitment to the core values of the game -respect, inclusivity and integrity’. Have they not themselves violated the 1st and the 3rd of those listed values by accepting sponsorship from an organisation that has shown disregard for those values, time and again?

Does it have the moral authority to take action against players for assumed violations when it seemingly openly violates those core values itself? Also, might the openness of such a violation, i.e. leading by example clearly demonstrate to young impressionable minds through subliminal learning that such values are really just B.S, thus reasonably giving cause for them to also act negatively with regard to claimed values? Note, in this case I don’t believe the players violated those values to any great degree, in comparison to the IRFU. I feel they’ve been done a grave injustice.

I hear the IRFU are now going to have programmes of education for young players and the like, but will they first demonstrate through example by doing what they need to do? Or does everybody continue to look the other way and get all moralistic again, when the next young player is found not to be so squeaky clean?

What?

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Most employers have a clause in their contracts that they can operate should employees bring disrepute publicly to the organisation.

Similarly contracts between sponsors, advertisers and the IRFU will have clauses that stipulate that the sponsors and advertisers can withdraw from a deal with the IRFU should there be disrepute likely to be damaging to their brand in evidence.

I doubt the IRFU are very happy with these players at the moment and they will have considerable headache and exchanges between lawyers.

All fairly inevitable.

ger12

I wonder how the GAA and IFA compares in this regard.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I wonder how the GAA and IFA compares in this regard.
Pretty badly in my lifetime. I saw a line of GAA men standing up in court for a local character who had a criminal record a mile long and who was eventually jailed for 17 years for rape and aggravated assault.

That was the end of any collections for the GAA and the end of my involvement with the GAA as a young lad.

Peppermint

Sponsorship from whom are you talking about??

irishproduce

Also there is a drug cheat sanctioned by them to play for Munster.
Where does that leave their integrity values?

Fellow

Also there is a drug cheat sanctioned by them to play for Munster.
Where does that leave their integrity values?
He served his punishment and that’s it. Nothing in the rules says he’s banned for life.

Movement the opposite way might happen here. Jackson and Olding might not be suitable role models for Ulster or Irish kids but they could be ok for the French.

Glenshane4

Pretty badly in my lifetime. I saw a line of GAA men standing up in court for a local character who had a criminal record a mile long and who was eventually jailed for 17 years for rape and aggravated assault.

That was the end of any collections for the GAA and the end of my involvement with the GAA as a young lad.
Had you collected for the GAA or contributed to GAA funds? How dare you interfere with the personal lives of members of the GAA? The GAA exists to promote Gaelic Football (male), hurling, Handball and Rounders. So long as a member does nothing which conflicts with these aims, his personal life is no business of the GAA.

Dearghoul

I'm not certain about this 'control of the ball plus downward pressure' myself. One or the other please.

Last edited:

storybud1

guilty after being proven innocent by a court of law ?

yep, sounds about right for the straight white male haters in the scum media ?

they went all silent after the Cork Alleged rape case with the silly Cork girl getting banged ten ways from Sunday on the US black rappers tour bus by all the Black guys ? they weren't white so the scum media spewed radical left fascist crap on us yet again.

Seriously, they has to be a business opening to highlight all the Fake News and crap the Irish scum media spews out at us !! ,, and by Fake News I mean the stuff they hide and bury as it does not suit their agenda..

venusian

Its all down to money and sponsorship,end of story. Their sponsors correctly advised they didn't want their products associated with any of the vile low life rugby players involved in the trail. Simples!

Northsideman

Be in no doubt this is putting the business before the sport, sponsors interests first, fuk justice, fuk players, fuk fans, money now dictates.

reg11

Its all down to money and sponsorship,end of story. Their sponsors correctly advised they didn't want their products associated with any of the vile low life rugby players involved in the trail. Simples!
If it’s all about money, then don’t B.S. us about values such as respect and integrity. There’s a glaring contradiction in your 2 sentences together, why then should it matter to you what any player does beyond the pitch?

GDPR

Put your hand in your pocket and subscribe to his legal costs then OP.

Ulster Rugby will get on fine without him.

Strawberry

If it’s all about money, then don’t B.S. us about values such as respect and integrity. There’s a glaring contradiction in your 2 sentences together, why then should it matter to you what any player does beyond the pitch?
They're gone, get over it.

Northsideman

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies