• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Irish alcohol consumption down 19% since 2001

Analyzer

To be honest, it was at very unhealthy levels in 2001.

And in many instances, alcohol consumption still is at unhealthy levels in this country.

But...never mind...Eamon Coughlan thinks the problem is that people don't spend enough time running.

Goa Tse

More people drinking at home I reckon. Doesn't count as "alcohol consumption" if you ask them.

D

Dylan2010

demographics? like with accident rates , if your teens and twenty something's are leaving in droves, consumption will drop.

the paddy effect :D (only joking)

A recent study published online by The Medical Journal of Australia has shown that the consumption of alcohol is on the rise and linked to alcohol related health harms (eg, liver cirrhosis, accidents and suicide) and social harms (eg, arrests for assault and public disorder).

The aim of the study was to estimate the national trend in per capita consumption (PCC) of alcohol by young Australians aged 15 years of age and over.

Niall996

The government better move fast on this one. As alcohol consumption continues to decline in Ireland for various reasons (disposable income, smoking ban, drink driving ban, emigration of the key 20-25 consumption pool, new lifestyles etc - we all know the reasons) Kenny and the rest of his so called government are desperate to convince the people of Ireland that they are in fact a low form of humanity, permenantly marinated in a drunken stupor, forever intoxicated, violent and boorish and an embarrassment in the world at large who also share Kenny and his motley crew's loathing of the Irish. And consequently, because we need to be pulled into line and made proper humans out of according to some Kennelian template, excise duties need to be driven as high as possible to impoverish anyone who would dare act the sterotypical illiterate Oirish thicko and decide to partake of a drink now and then. But the longer they hold off on the various advertising bans, excise increases, licensing hours interference, retail outlet rules and regulations, etc etc etc etc the more their excuse will disappear altogether.

Last edited:

Disillusioned democrat

Most components of discretionary spending are down 20%+ since 2001 - basically 3 successive governments have sucked the lifeblood from the people to first enrich their friends in the tent, then the bankers and now the foreign bankers...and of course themselves along the way....they have inflated salaries, but increased taxes, direct or stealth, so that people feel wealthy the day they get paid but struggle to get to the end of the month without going further into debt.

It's less about being more health conscious and more about being beaten down by the government's policies of taxing everything that moves rather than tackling the rot at the heart of Irish politics.

i drink about 8-10 cans a week so i spose i am in the average
drink it over the course of 2 nights

I can live with that
I also smoke 9 cigarettes a week

Happy enough with that

gijoe

But I thought that drink had to be taxed out of existence to stop us all from drowning in it.......

gijoe

I probably drink the same on average over a year however my consumption would be more lumpy in that I like to drink watching the football, rugby etc on the box. So next week with Cheltenham, rugby, football and Paddys etc I might drink the best part of 2 slabs but during the months of the summer very little.

gatsbygirl20

I am having a friend or two around later to share dinner with us. This morning at 9 o'clock I was shopping for the fish, spuds etc.....

Went to get a bottle of wine...the whole area locked off in the supermarket---no alcohol until 10.30. Will have to return later in the rush hour.

This kind of daft rule for the sake of "responsible drinking" just makes life difficult for hard-pressed people rushing around trying to stay on top of their lives

It's not like the drunk guys who are fighting and vomiting on the streets at 2 am are going to be up queuing at 9 am in Tesco to get their bottle of wine and their leg of lamb and their groceries...

D

Dylan2010

But I thought that drink had to be taxed out of existence to stop us all from drowning in it.......
you have to remember that senior civil servants probably all bring the car to France during the summer so they get to come back with a bootful of nearily free booze every year. So I can well imagine they see things that way.

Hitch 22

[video=youtube;GeI5ke0BENw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeI5ke0BENw[/video]

Disillusioned democrat

I can live with that
I also smoke 9 cigarettes a week

Happy enough with that
You can't live forever, so you may as well enjoy it while you can.

D

Dylan2010

I am having a friend or two around later to share dinner with us. This morning at 9 o'clock I was shopping for the fish, spuds etc.....

Went to get a bottle of wine...the whole area locked off in the supermarket---no alcohol until 10.30. Will have to return later in the rush hour.

This kind of daft rule for the sake of "responsible drinking" just makes life difficult for hard-pressed people rushing around trying to stay on top of their lives

It's not like the drunk guys who are fighting and vomiting on the streets at 2 am are going to be up queuing at 9 am in Tesco to get their bottle of wine and their leg of lamb and their groceries...
its such a dumb rule, anyone that drunk will be passed out somewhere at that hour. its happened to me as I tend to be darting around dropping off the kids to sports on a Sat. morning so its normally a good time to do some smash and grab shopping but no..its up there with that dumb rule of only being able to buy one packet of asprin "per transaction" but at least you can pay and then run the other one through.

Cassandra Syndrome

People are more a part of the hive mind, sanitised and boring now. The youth of today are becoming more like the Young Spies of Orwell's 1984 with authoritarian personalities and more vice adverse than generations before them, despite alarmist reports from the media to the contrary.

Cassandra Syndrome

That's the nanny state for you. You wanted to do a voluntary exchange and were prevented from doing so by the coercion of violence.

hammer

Lets hope

1. Less drinking
2. Less smoking
3. More exercise
4. More vitamins
5. Less fattie foods

And we become a HEALTHY NATION for once.

D

Dylan2010

Lets hope

1. Less drinking
2. Less smoking
3. More exercise
4. More vitamins
5. Less fattie foods

And we become a HEALTHY NATION for once.
is there a vitamin deficit I hadnt hear about? I'd probably switch that one out for no flouride in the water

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies