Irish amongst the most media-literate nations in Europe.

Wascurito

The Irish are amongst the most media-savvy nations in Europe according to the 2018 Media Literacy Index. The index which actually measures an ability to recognize and reject fake news and the so-called concept of post-truth correlates closely with high levels of education, high levels of media freedom and high levels of trust within society.

Finland, Denmark, Netherlands, Sweden, and Estonia are ranked more highly than Ireland. If there's any bad news for us, it's that we're down two places on 2017. The nations of south-eastern Europe perform particularly poorly with Macedonia taking last place. Turkey also performs badly.

Analyzer

If this means that the people are ignoring the DOBlin media (which ignores scandals) then this is to be welcomed. Because there is a stinking pile of manure in Irish media. In it's largest entity. It is "front and centre".

I went to the link, and I found out that it indicates the opposite. It ignores the stinking mess.

IN FACT IT ENDORSES THE STINK IN THE IRISH MEDIA.

No wonder chancers like Meehaul [the developers money was just resting in the wife's account ] Martin feels optimistic about their chances.

No wonder Lowry is not in prison.

No wonder Dinny gets so many debt write downs, while the taxpayers get none, even though he is a tax non dom.

No wonder the latest debacle of data theft, and control, gets downplayed, behond such important events as fodder, and McGregor's chums throwing a sack-trolly through a bus window.

No wonder that Gemma Doherty got sacked for telling the truth....and never got asked by any Irish media outlet for her skills, having to run to Murdoch's Sunday Times instead.

And then there is Noosetalk's blue brigade, with such proven liars as SCarey.

Ireland's corrupt, compromised media suggests that there is something desperately missing from the index used. The index itself might even be "fake news" on account of it's assessment of Ireland's media. It is a stamp of approval for a very corrupt media sector, in a very corrupt country.

So corrupt, that the people have to read UK headquartered newspapers to find out what is going on, in their own country.

Last edited:

gleeful

The Irish are amongst the most media-savvy nations in Europe according to the 2018 Media Literacy Index. The index which actually measures an ability to recognize and reject fake news and the so-called concept of post-truth correlates closely with high levels of education, high levels of media freedom and high levels of trust within society.

Finland, Denmark, Netherlands, Sweden, and Estonia are ranked more highly than Ireland. If there's any bad news for us, it's that we're down two places on 2017. The nations of south-eastern Europe perform particularly poorly with Macedonia taking last place. Turkey also performs badly.

And they measure this how exactly? #fakenews

Man or Mouse

If this means that the media are ignoring the DOBlin media (which ignores scandals) then this is to be welcomed.

I went to the link, and I found out that it indicates the opposite.

No wonder chancers like Meehaul [the developers money was just resting in the wife's account ] Martin feel optimistic about their chances.

No wonder Lowry is not in prison.

No wonder Dinny gets so many debt write downs, while the taxpayers get none.

No wonder the latest debacle of data theft, and control, goes silent.

No wonder that Gemma Doherty got sacked for telling the truth....and never got asked by any Irish media outlet for her skills, having to run to Murdoch's Sunday Times instead.

And then there is Noosetalk's blue brigade, with such proven liars as SCarey.

Ireland's corrupt, compromised media suggests that there is something desperately missing from the index used.
And where are you leaving Oona?

Analyzer

This story deserves a good comforting level of support.

Another pat on the back for being clueless.

Perhaps even another moment for the Irish media to "don the green jersey" and circle the wagons around the golden circle.....

Press the "proud button" that keeps so many clueless.

Or maybe even a laugh....

There is a photo of EK and the Menace having a nice happy laugh....though I cannot find it.

Last edited:

farnaby

Education based on PISA literacy scores
Media freedom as measured by George Soros' Open Society Foundation :?

(I'm happy we're in good company for a change, just want to get mouths frothing at the mention of Soros :D)

_FARAH_

Turkiye is not Europe, its Euroasia.

Wascurito

Why the scepticism? For the whole of Europe, the figures make sense to me. For example, I did read that we rank as having one of highest levels of media freedom in Europe. I can't do Googling easily on this device I'm on now and won't be able to for a few hours but I'm sure the information you seek is out there.

Ruff says Flaherty

Did anyone else notice that the Disclosures tribunal was the 7th story on the 9 o'clock news last night? RTE are an absolute disgrace

Orbit v2

See, you're asking the right questions ....

It's based on the following predictors, rather than any direct test of people apparently.
Reading literacy levels are the single biggest factor.

METHODOLOGY OF THE MEDIA LITERACY INDEX

Indicators Weight
---------- ------

Media Freedom indicators
========================
Freedom of the Press score by Freedom House 20%
Press Freedom Index by Reporters without Borders 20%

Education indicators
====================
PISA score in reading literacy (OECD) 30%
PISA score in scientific literacy (OECD) 5%
PISA score mathematical literacy (OECD) 5%
Share of population (%) with university degree (Eurostat) 5%

Trust
=====
Trust in others (Eurostat) 10%

New forms of participation
==========================
E-participation Index (UN) 5%
You can always quibble over details, but it sounds reasonable enough to me.

_FARAH_

Its ironic that the news in the first post also includes many fake parts and its name "balkaninsight".

Supra

If fake news suits my point of view or self interest I'm going to run with it.

Wascurito

Its ironic that the news in the first post also includes many fake parts and its name "balkaninsight".
What fake news and what's wrong with the Balkans?

I thought Turkey and the Ottomans were quite fond of the Balkans for several centuries.

(The feeling wasn't mutual.)

Orbit v2

Produced by an institute in Sofia, aimed at the Balkans... Fake news.
Not sure if you're trying to be funny.

But, it's hardly Bulgarian govt. propaganda given that it puts their own country into the second worst bucket.

Maybe, it's just an appeal for better educational standards in those countries.

macedo

It's good that you ask the question. It's not so good that you are willing to tag the whole exercise #fakenews before having an answer to the question.

Analyzer

Not sure if you're trying to be funny.

But, it's hardly Bulgarian govt. propaganda given that it puts their own country into the second worst bucket.

Maybe, it's just an appeal for better educational standards in those countries.
And then there is Belfield....Biffo...Calamity Coughlan.....Patrick Neary....Seanie Fitz...Eamon Ryan....Bif Fill...

And that was when there were standards.

Now there is the O'Brien Centre for Science ( I suppose they did not have a Centre of Taxation Studies that they wanted sponsored)....

_FARAH_

What parts are fake? And what's the problem with the name "balkaninsight"?
If I am going to show you the fake parts, this issue will grow longer and will end up with no results at all. Because you will reject anything does not fit with your personal interests, maybe I will also do the same thing.

Any news is fake as long as its not proven in an independent court. Recently Britain banned the license of Al Arabiya for "producing fake news" while British news agencies producing fake news all day long in accordance with the interest of the government.

Popular Threads

Most Replies