Irish amongst the most media-literate nations in Europe.

Wascurito

The skepticism is so well thought out on this thread. The Media Literacy Index is bad because Bulgaria, Balkans, Soros.

Anything else?

Wascurito

If I am going to show you the fake parts, this issue will grow longer and will end up with no results at all. Because you will reject anything does not fit with your personal interests, maybe I will also do the same thing.

Any news is fake as long as its not proven in an independent court. Recently Britain banned the license of Al Arabiya for "producing fake news" while British news agencies producing fake news all day long in accordance with the interest of the government.
After claiming that there are fake parts, you can't actually show me the fake parts. So not only would your claim not stand up in an "independent court", you don't even have one shred of evidence to defend yourself. Oooops. :p

_FARAH_

So the recent Russian spy poisoning is a perfect example for fake news.

All the Western countries prepared fake news to blame it on Russia and millions of people believed it without questioning. If there was a trial done about the event, Western countries would lose it in the first 10 minutes of the first session.

Wascurito

Did anyone else notice that the Disclosures tribunal was the 7th story on the 9 o'clock news last night? RTE are an absolute disgrace
The index isn't about evaluating the quality of the local media and in any case, many people get their news from international sources.

Which country in Europe has proven itself most resistant to the populists of the far right and far left? You'd be hard put to find a better example than Ireland.

FOURGREENFIELDS

I don't believe this. The Irish population have always been controlled and told what to do and think; first by the English, then the Church, then two Civil War parties and now by the media. Irish people can only really think and act independently when they leave the country to make their lives elsewhere.
The Irish media are part of a small but very controlling cabal who put their own interests first. This includes the political and business Establishments and they all look after their own. Most of them went to the same private schools, their kids go there as well, they play in the same golf clubs and drink in the same private clubs and bars. They are rabidly right wing, anti trade union, partitionist and determined to make Paddy and Bridget serve their interests.
The antics of the Irish media towards the North have been nothing short of a national disgrace. They have spent 40 years lambasting and blaming the Nationalist community for the conflict and their own predicament. They have totally ignored and buried their heads on British State murder in both parts of the island from the Dublin/Monaghan and the assassination of 100's of innocent Irish civilians by British State forces and their Loyalist satellites. They are cowardly invertebrates who stand condemned for what they are. Sadly and to their shame also the Irish public have swallowed and bought in to most of this too.

Equinox

If this means that the people are ignoring the DOBlin media (which ignores scandals) then this is to be welcomed. Because there is a stinking pile of manure in Irish media. In it's largest entity. It is "front and centre".

I went to the link, and I found out that it indicates the opposite. It ignores the stinking mess.

IN FACT IT ENDORSES THE STINK IN THE IRISH MEDIA.

No wonder chancers like Meehaul [the developers money was just resting in the wife's account ] Martin feels optimistic about their chances.

No wonder Lowry is not in prison.

No wonder Dinny gets so many debt write downs, while the taxpayers get none, even though he is a tax non dom.

No wonder the latest debacle of data theft, and control, gets downplayed, behond such important events as fodder, and McGregor's chums throwing a sack-trolly through a bus window.

No wonder that Gemma Doherty got sacked for telling the truth....and never got asked by any Irish media outlet for her skills, having to run to Murdoch's Sunday Times instead.

And then there is Noosetalk's blue brigade, with such proven liars as SCarey.

Ireland's corrupt, compromised media suggests that there is something desperately missing from the index used. The index itself might even be "fake news" on account of it's assessment of Ireland's media. It is a stamp of approval for a very corrupt media sector, in a very corrupt country.

So corrupt, that the people have to read UK headquartered newspapers to find out what is going on, in their own country.
Not necessarily, there's a difference between being hoodwinked, and identifying a spoofer when you hear one.... but nodding, winking and and agreeing to a fictional narrative as long as it comes with enough mutual back scratching.

Wascurito

I don't believe this. The Irish population have always been controlled and told what to do and think; first by the English, then the Church, then two Civil War parties and now by the media. Irish people can only really think and act independently when they leave the country to make their lives elsewhere.
The Irish media are part of a small but very controlling cabal who put their own interests first. This includes the political and business Establishments and they all look after their own. Most of them went to the same private schools, their kids go there as well, they play in the same golf clubs and drink in the same private clubs and bars. They are rabidly right wing, anti trade union, partitionist and determined to make Paddy and Bridget serve their interests.
The antics of the Irish media towards the North have been nothing short of a national disgrace. They have spent 40 years lambasting and blaming the Nationalist community for the conflict and their own predicament. They have totally ignored and buried their heads on British State murder in both parts of the island from the Dublin/Monaghan and the assassination of 100's of innocent Irish civilians by British State forces and their Loyalist satellites. They are cowardly invertebrates who stand condemned for what they are. Sadly and to their shame also the Irish public have swallowed and bought in to most of this too.
This is hilarious. :lol: :lol:

LookWhoItIs

"Irish amongst the most media-literate nations"

I'm guessing p.ie was not included petunia

fifilawe

I bet you a "fixed survey" carried out in country "Hashishistan" would also show that it is amongst the most media literate nations in "Islamistan" group of countries.All these fake news ,makey-uppy items are just to keep someone in a job or inventing some ploy to create new posts, sources of income."Nurse Noel" was a fake nurse and had the qualifications to go with his position but in the real world it was for something quite mundane and ordinary nothing related to the medical profession.

Schuhart

See, you're asking the right questions ....

It's based on the following predictors, rather than any direct test of people apparently.
Reading literacy levels are the single biggest factor.

You can always quibble over details, but it sounds reasonable enough to me.
I appreciate you putting up the facts to make it clear, but I'd actually question the assumptions that they are making.

They assume that a free press will be a barrier to fake news; it could equally be argued that a "free" press will risk domination by commercial interests.

They assume that more education qualifications will be a barrier to fake news; it could be argued that plain common sense does better for critical faculties than some disciplines. Are SJWs undereducated?

What seems to be lacking (maybe this exists, but they just haven't mentioned it here) is an actual test where people are presented with real and phoney stories and asked which are true.

IIRC, our raw PISA reading scores are high, but our capacity to handle concepts is rated low. So I'd even wonder if the raw reading score is the right measure of potential.

Popular Threads

Most Replies