• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Irish Army census of 1922 published today.

former wesleyan

Michael Collins's army list goes online - The Irish Times - Tue, Nov 13, 2012

A heads up for those with ancestors who were serving in 1922.

The contents of Ireland’s first – and only – military census have been digitised and launched on the website of the Defence Forces’ Military Archives. The documents list the names of all those serving in the National Army during the Civil War, and was compiled just weeks after Collins was killed in 1922.
Online release of the Irish Army Census 1922  | News | Website name

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Hmmmmmm...
This project is divided into three distinct phases.

Phase 1 Digitisation of Census Returns

Phase 2 Mapping of Posts

Phase 3 Searchable Index of the Census Returns

Phase 1 & 2 is completed and will be available to view on the 13-Nov-2012 on the Online Collections webpage.

Phase 3 will be completed in the near future and will be made available on Online Collections webpage. Please consult the News & Events for updates on this new collection.
Phase 1 & 2 not even released yet as they are meant to be - and - will need Phase 3 to search it. So more time to wait for this still !

cYp

Dub01

Seems a bit divisive without the names from the other side. The blueshirt element of FG is behind this list for sure.

The irony being that Michael Collins would have spat on the likes of Kenny, Shatter, Bruton, Hayes, Varadker and Creighton.

former wesleyan

eems a bit divisive without the names from the other side. The blueshirt element of FG is behind this list for sure.S

The irony being that Michael Collins would have spat on the likes of Kenny, Shatter, Bruton, Hayes, Varadker and Creighton.
Are you mental ? The work has been on-going by the Military Archives long before this Government took office.

NewGoldDream

Website
-
This only being done now?

I thought the British kept great records of their armies and campaigns all over the world and would have sorted this long ago.

Seanie Lemass

Most of them were corner boys. Most who had been active in the Tan War stayed with the IRA.

Analyzer

I am surprised that this is being scheduled for now. Are FG trying to keep the Civil War going ? Trying to re-establish the duality of options in Irish politics, perhaps ?

The people who are most deserving of recognition would be those who refused to take sides, having served in the War of Independence. And who deserted. Certainly not those who took pay to shoot at other Irish men.

Rocky

Leaving aside Former Wesleyan posts, this thread highlights perfectly everything that is wrong about this site.

Thanks for the link Wesleyan. My own grandfather served in the Irish Army at that point and it'll be interesting to see can I pull up information on him.

realistic1

The irony being that Michael Collins would have shot the likes of Kenny, Shatter, Bruton, Hayes, Varadker and Creighton, he did not like spys or cowards very much
There has been many a suggestion made that Collins himself was compromised by the British secret service.

realistic1

Chimes in well with the Poppy day frenzy, honouring another load of traitors. As regards shooting people, well the States were fond of that ok from Drumboe to the caves of Kerry.
A lot of the individuals doing these killing under the Free State flag, were previously killing under a Union Jack flag.

Levellers

Many British soldiers [albeit Irish] were recruited into the Free State shower but it is interesting that the atrocities were carried out in the main by the Squad.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
Seems a bit divisive without the names from the other side. The blueshirt element of FG is behind this list for sure.
Of course you're right. After all, there's a conspiracy around every corner.

Can I borrow your crystal ball?

And by the way, what was that you said about being divisive?

realistic1

Though far be it from you to relay any such scurrilous suggestion, eh?
Well if people want to throw around accusation on our current leaders, what is wrong with informing them of accusations against their heroes???

shutuplaura

The document of the month for November on the Army Archives site is a sample page of the census. Strangely the name an address of Next of Kin has been redacted from the page for data protection reasons. I would have thought publishing that particular information would be completely harmless after 90 years. Would many next of kin be still alive?

November | Document of the Month | Collections | Military Archives

statsman

shutuplaura

Yes, if the next of kin was a child.
I would imagine that this would account for a small minority of next of kin. Seems to me that the military archives are being a bit precious. After all, the government has commited to waiving the 100 year rule for the 1926 census, and recently 7000 wills made during the first world war were published. And the soldiers home address is already published. Seems a bit unnecessary to redact any information at all if the census is being published in the first place.

statsman

I would imagine that this would account for a small minority of next of kin. Seems to me that the military archives are being a bit precious. After all, the government has commited to waiving the 100 year rule for the 1926 census, and recently 7000 wills made during the first world war were published. And the soldiers home address is already published. Seems a bit unnecessary to redact any information at all if the census is being published in the first place.
All it needed was for one surviving relative to get wind of this and object to their name being there for the whole thing to have to be pulled. I think the archives made a sensible decision so as to get the thing out ASAP. As for the commitment to waive the 100 year rule for 1926, I can't but wonder how robust the legal advice is.