Irish army parades at Lourdes

RBinge

If you spent two minutes searching t'internet you would have found that members of the British armed services and many other countries take part in the International Military Pilgrimage as well.

Cheap shot there and not even a researched one.

RBinge said:
If you spent two minutes searching t'internet you would have found that members of the British armed services and many other countries take part in the International Military Pilgrimage as well.

Cheap shot there and not even a researched one.

None the less the republic is still not doing enough in moving away from all that stuff, looking at the disunity it has caused to the nation.

President Mary McAleese is in the French pilgrim town of Lourdes along with 500 members of the Defence Forces to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the shrine.

They are joining thousands of soldiers from around the world for special military ceremonies marking the jubilee.

Members of the Defence Forces have been taking part in the annual pilgrimage to the Marian Shrine in Lourdes for the past 50 years.
Advertisement

However, an extra large Irish group has travelled this year for the 150th anniversary of the appearance of the Virgin Mary to a peasant girl named Bernadette.

The group includes 500 soldiers, hundreds of army veterans, members of the Civil Defence and their families.

President McAleese, who is Supreme Commander of the Defence Forces, her husband Martin, and Archbishop of Dublin Dr Diarmuid Martin are taking part in the ceremonies over the next three days.

The Chief of Staff, Lieutenant General Dermot Earley, along with the head of the EU-Chad mission, Lieutenant General Pat Nash, and soldiers from all ranks are also participating.

Kalif said:
http://www.militarychaplaincy.ie/lourdes/index.html

What with artillery units named after saints and military parades at Lourdes the defence forces are far from secular, who claim blame unionists for historically not wanting to be part of the rosary bead circus the Irish republic has always been ?

The vatican army was there to on a military pilgrimage.
If Irish Muslim soldiers went on a pilgrimage to Mecca I doubt you'd object. Artillery units are not named after saints by the way, they are merely numbered- 1st Field Artillery Regt and so on.

jetttxyz

Kalif's trying to stir things up.
Catholics practice their religion.
You, Kalif practice yours.
We don't interfere in your religious practices; you don't interfere in ours.

You're not in the Defence Force; you were not asked to go to Lourdes; you have no involvement in the Defence Force, Lourdes....so, go out and cut the grass. It's a great morning for it ;)

monst

The trip to Lourdes is compulsary for all Army, Naval Service(and I think Air Corps cadets) who list RC as thier religion. It is also compluasary for cadets in the military college in the Curragh to attend mass on Sunday mornings as it is for Naval Service cadets when they are in the Naval College in Haulbowline.

jetttxyz

monst says
The trip to Lourdes is compulsary for all Army, Naval Service(and I think Air Corps cadets) who list RC as thier religion. It is also compluasary for cadets in the military college in the Curragh to attend mass on Sunday mornings as it is for Naval Service cadets when they are in the Naval College in Haulbowline.
:shock:

The brother's in the army; served in Lebanon, East Timor etc. Doesn't go to Mass. Says :roll: he's a Catholic; not one ounce of pressure to practice his stated religion.

monst

jetttxyz said:
monst says

The brother's in the army; served in Lebanon, East Timor etc. Doesn't go to Mass. Says :roll: he's a Catholic; not one ounce of pressure to practice his stated religion.

Read what i wrote... If the brother no longer in training i.e. no longer a recruit or cadet- which he cleary isn't if he has been overseas- then he obviously does not fall under what I wrote above... jebus!

monst

jetttxyz said:
monst says

Also to clarify... as ur comprehension skills are some what lacking... I was writing only about cadets, you know, members of the defence forces training to be officers... so if the brother is a non commissioned member of the defence forces then I'm not sure he would have encountered this forces participartion in religious services... as a former cadet I can say for certain that i did.

jetttxyz

monst says
jetttxyz wrote:
monst says The trip to Lourdes is compulsary for all Army, Naval Service(and I think Air Corps cadets) who list RC as thier religion. It is also compluasary for cadets in the military college in the Curragh to attend mass on Sunday mornings as it is for Naval Service cadets when they are in the Naval College in Haulbowline.

[quote:3jq80lu6]The brother's in the army; served in Lebanon, East Timor etc. Doesn't go to Mass. Says he's a Catholic; not one ounce of pressure to practice his stated religion.
Also to clarify... as ur comprehension skills are some what lacking... I was writing only about cadets, you know, members of the defence forces training to be officers... so if the brother is a non commissioned member of the defence forces then I'm not sure he would have encountered this forces participartion in religious services... as a former cadet I can say for certain that i did.[/quote:3jq80lu6]

The brother was once a cadet. He's now a non-cadet ie an ex-cadet eg a former cadet ie past cadet.
Now, please read the following slowly.....when he was a cadet.... in the Defence Force.....said he was a Catholic.....he didn't go to Mass except on days when there was a major function ie some visit or another by a Catholic dignitary.
The thing about Lebanon, East Timor was a side issue which is irrelevant; and I apologise for it.

monst

jetttxyz said:
monst says
jetttxyz wrote:
monst says The trip to Lourdes is compulsary for all Army, Naval Service(and I think Air Corps cadets) who list RC as thier religion. It is also compluasary for cadets in the military college in the Curragh to attend mass on Sunday mornings as it is for Naval Service cadets when they are in the Naval College in Haulbowline.

[quote:19zfxj4o]The brother's in the army; served in Lebanon, East Timor etc. Doesn't go to Mass. Says he's a Catholic; not one ounce of pressure to practice his stated religion.
Also to clarify... as ur comprehension skills are some what lacking... I was writing only about cadets, you know, members of the defence forces training to be officers... so if the brother is a non commissioned member of the defence forces then I'm not sure he would have encountered this forces participartion in religious services... as a former cadet I can say for certain that i did.
The brother was once a cadet. He's now a non-cadet ie an ex-cadet eg a former cadet ie past cadet.
Now, please read the following slowly.....when he was a cadet.... in the Defence Force.....said he was a Catholic.....he didn't go to Mass except on days when there was a major function ie some visit or another by a Catholic dignitary.
The thing about Lebanon, East Timor was a side issue which is irrelevant; and I apologise for it.[/quote:19zfxj4o]

I know for a fact that all cadets must attend mass on Sundays in the miliary college at the Curragh.

jetttxyz

monst says
I know for a fact that all cadets must attend mass on Sundays in the miliary college at the Curragh.
I hope it did you good ;)
Back to the Lourdes topic. Am going in October with a group from CASA; and am looking forward to it....armies or no armies :cool:

CelloP

jetttxyz said:
monst says

Great to know our noble Irish army officers are men of principle.

monst

jetttxyz said:
monst says
I hope it did you good ;)
Back to the Lourdes topic. Am going in October with a group from CASA; and am looking forward to it....armies or no armies :cool:
well I haven't been struck down yet :lol:

fair play for headin over with CASA, my old fella used to go over there with them as a helper also. Much respect

essexboy

Kalif said:
http://www.militarychaplaincy.ie/lourdes/index.html

What with artillery units named after saints and military parades at Lourdes the defence forces are far from secular, who claim blame unionists for historically not wanting to be part of the rosary bead circus the Irish republic has always been ?

The vatican army was there to on a military pilgrimage.
Would you prefer them to attend "the Garda church of St Paul at Mount Argus in Dublin"?

monst said:
The DF hasn't been allowed compel anyone to attend any religious service against his or her will for several years now.

monst

Stealth Assassin said:
monst said:
The DF hasn't been allowed compel anyone to attend any religious service against his or her will for several years now.
i did my cadetship 97-99 and my a friend of mine from 03-05 and we both had to do it... if you think the nicer points of the DFR's apply to cadets you're living in la la land

Tmesis

Great to know our noble Irish army officers are men of principle.
Well, I would be happy in the knowledge that our army officers are well-equipped and trained and don't act on insufficent evidence while completing their duties and put their commitment to their army duties above their religious duty, but I suppose some of us have lower standards than others.

However, given the religiously-sensitive areas that Irish forces are sometimes deployed, in peace-keeping capacity, it would be best to present a neutral religious aspect at most times, and overt displays of Catholicism should be advised against in this day and age.

Of course, the state should not pay one penny towards religious services. If Catholics or the Catholic Church wants the army to travel to Lourdes then the Catholic Church should pay for it.

Pat_Corkery

Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/like_the_roman
The army have been doing this for years. They also go to places like Rome. And what of it? I'm sure those who do go do so at their own free will. It is not something interfering with the secular nature of our army, which to be frank has always been predominantly Catholic anyhow. And the nay sayers make out this was a totally Irish affair. It wasn't. There troops troops from several countries there. And I am pretty sure you'll find no one in the UK, France or elsewhere questioning the correctness of going to Lourdes. This is just typical mud slinging by people trying to defend secularism (and I am as secular as one can get) but in reality the argument comes from those who are of the mentality if its Catholicism its all wrong and if its anything else its all right. Surely we are a bit more mature then that now?

Cael

Were the free staters hoping for Our Lady to turn them into a real army? Maybe next time around they wont stand idly by?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies