• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Irish Army: Sexual Assault Victim Fined €950!

Bobert

Fined for going AWOL... Not because she was allegedly sexually assaulted. Might be worth mentioning...

Factorem

Fined for going AWOL... Not because she was allegedly sexually assaulted. Might be worth mentioning...
Yes, but how it's managed to get out all over the newspapers is unreal!

And it's not the first time the army has had such problems.

Report on bullying in defence forces stresses need for clarification of terms - Ireland
Army knew of sex abuse for years - National News, Frontpage - Independent.ie
Defence Forces declare war on bullies - National News, Frontpage - Independent.ie

I'm sure Dr Clonan is rocking comfortably in his chair after this; yet another prime example of bad handling of the issue. Don't say ye weren't warned.

Fining a girl €950 is stupid in the extreme.

Bobert

And the Defence Forces have clear procedural guidelines on harassment of all types. But she was find for abandoning her duties. Now cop on.

Factorem

And the Defence Forces have clear procedural guidelines on harassment of all types. But she was find for abandoning her duties. Now cop on.
Obviously it wasn't dealt with properly hence resorting to the press. Fining someone €950 under these circumstances is plain stupid.

Bobert

You're a moron and I'm not engaging you any further.

Factorem

You're a moron and I'm not engaging you any further.
Huddling amongst each other and keeping silent won't make this matter go away.

Don't speak about it if you don't want to, but sooner or later, the issue's going to have to be dealt with.

Of course the macho men such as yourself don't like that, do you?

Kev408

I've read all the links you provided and there is not a shred of honesty in anything you've posted regarding this issue. I doubt the person in question would even support your viewpoint. Why would you do that? Are you drunk or just plain stupid?

Bobert

Why should they?

Odyessus

Huddling amongst each other and keeping silent won't make this matter go away.

Don't speak about it if you don't want to, but sooner or later, the issue's going to have to be dealt with.

Of course the macho men such as yourself don't like that, do you?

What issue?

Bobert

But there was no evidence against him.

Limerick Lad

She was court-martialled and fined for being absent without leave in September 2007 and was moved from Aiken Barracks, Dundalk to Cathal Brugha Barracks, Rathmines in February 2008 after making an allegation of sexual assault against a fellow officer.
Whatever the truth of her allegation of sexual assault, the two incidents would appear to be unrelated with the AWOL incident occurring many months before she made her allegation of sexual assault.

greasytrucker

This all seems surreal. Why is this poor girl being treating like this?

These sex assault issues can blow out of all proportion and it seems to me that this is a classic case. Why is she being fined?

Irish army glamour girl: I was sexually assaulted at barracks - Local & National, News - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk
She should have gone to report it there and then not gone AWOL.

In the past shes got the armies back up by posting pics of herself in a bikini etc, not the behaviour expected of a female with a commission, does not appear to be the military type.

Once again must question the Irish armies selection procedures and politically correct structure that allows women to serve in the infantry.

Shes an infantry officer supposed to lead soldiers into battle, can just see it ha, the Irish army in its present form is a farce and waste of tax payers money.

Soldier Collette is ready to do battle

SEXY Second Lieutenant Collette McBarron (23) has been installed at the 9/1 favourite to march home with the Miss Ireland title.

The stunning blonde, who is representing Dublin South at the competition, is giving the rest of her rivals girls a real battle in the popularity stakes.

And the inventory officer, who lives in Rathmines, said she has received nothing but encouragement from her fellow officers as she lines out in this month's pageant.

Last edited:

PaulMeyer

Very little to go on of course but I have to say that she seems to lack a basic understanding of what it means to be an officer and how an officer should behave. It seems very unusual to me that a commisoned officer would put themselves in a position where they would even be accused of being AWOL, (very much an "other ranks" offence anyway!) never mind being court-martialled and found guilty of it. As for her being "distraught" at having to return to Aiken Bks, this is hardly the stuff of leadership is it? Officers don't normally get "distraught", the selection process is supposed to weed out those that do, and if they do it's over something serious like losing some of their soldiers in battle, not something pathetic like this frankly.

I think the otherwise delightful Lt. McBarron would be wise to consider new challenges outside the Army, and the Army would be wise to point her in that direction sooner rather than later,she has "PR disaster" at the very least, written all over her. I would not like to serve on operations with someone as obviously lacking in self-confidence in charge.

Last edited:
She should have gone to report it there and then not gone AWOL.

In the past shes got the armies back up by posting pics of herself in a bikini etc, not the behaviour expected of a female with a commission, does not appear to be the military type.

Once again must question the Irish armies selection procedures and politically correct structure that allows women to serve in the infantry.

Shes an infantry officer supposed to lead soldiers into battle, can just see it ha, the Irish army in its present form is a farce and waste of tax payers money.

Soldier Collette is ready to do battle

SEXY Second Lieutenant Collette McBarron (23) has been installed at the 9/1 favourite to march home with the Miss Ireland title.

The stunning blonde, who is representing Dublin South at the competition, is giving the rest of her rivals girls a real battle in the popularity stakes.

And the inventory officer, who lives in Rathmines, said she has received nothing but encouragement from her fellow officers as she lines out in this month's pageant.
Would have to agree on her suitability to be an officer but in fairness you get a few oddballs in most armies. I disagree that the army is a farce though