Irish Army: Sexual Assault Victim Fined €950!

Factorem

Very little to go on of course but I have to say that she seems to lack a basic understanding of what it means to be an officer and how an officer should behave. It seems very unusual to me that a commisoned officer would put themselves in a position where they would even be accused of being AWOL, (very much an "other ranks" offence anyway!) never mind being court-martialled and found guilty of it. As for her being "distraught" at having to return to Aiken Bks, this is hardly the stuff of leadership is it? Officers don't normally get "distraught", the selection process is supposed to weed out those that do, and if they do it's over something serious like losing some of their soldiers in battle, not something pathetic like this frankly.

I think the otherwise delightful Lt. McBarron would be wise to consider new challenges outside the Army, and the Army would be wise to point her in that direction sooner rather than later,she has "PR disaster" at the very least, written all over her. I would not like to serve on operations with someone as obviously lacking in self-confidence in charge.
At the end of the day "officers" are only humans. This airs and graces stuff is bullcrap.

This is exactly what happens when you have to fill your quota of females and the PC-brigade dictate to the upper echolons of any organisation.

I'd say there'll be many more requests to view Dr Clonan's PhD thesis from the DCU library.

evercloserunion

And the Defence Forces have clear procedural guidelines on harassment of all types. But she was find for abandoning her duties. Now cop on.
According to the article she went AWOL because she was put in a barracks with a man who (she alleges) sexually assaulted her. If what she claims is true then it's understandable that she would not want to stay there. It's stupid to say that the two events are unrelated.

EDIT: Read a post on the previous page which seems to suggest otherwise. Certainly the article suggests that the fine is related to the alleged assult. But if she was fined before the assault that's obviously a different story.

Factorem

According to the article she went AWOL because she was put in a barracks with a man who (she alleges) sexually assaulted her. If what she claims is true then it's understandable that she would not want to stay there. It's stupid to say that the two events are unrelated.

EDIT: Read a post on the previous page which seems to suggest otherwise. Certainly the article suggests that the fine is related to the alleged assult. But if she was fined before the assault that's obviously a different story.
Exactly.

And all this talk of her being "gently" asked to pursue another career outside the army is classic old boys club stuff from a bunch of fat overpaid officers who thinks society owes them something.

PaulMeyer

At the end of the day "officers" are only humans. This airs and graces stuff is bullcrap.
Officers, above all things, are supposed to be professionals and to act accordingly. If they fail to do so there really is no point in them being there as they are supposed to, amongst other things, set the highest example to those under them. If they fail to do so they are failing in their duty and undermining the organisation to which they belong. This has nothing to do with "airs and graces" and everything to with the role and status of someone holding, in this case I presume, the President's commission. I fail to see how she can maintain the respect of her subordinates given her reported behaviour which in my opinion, paints her as little more than an empty-headed bimbo more suited to the dance-floor than an infantry battalion.

pete2

She represented Ireland and the military in athletics and the high jump and has won medals. She works in the inventory, hopefully she will get her act back together and go on to bigger things in the army.

As for the AWOL
The lieutenant admitted to leaving her post as orderly officer without permission. She also pleaded guilty to falsely recording in a ledger that she had carried out a patrol on the same night. Thirdly, she admitted she had lied to her commanding officer six weeks later, telling him a named colleague had agreed to cover for her on the night she was absent from her post. The colleague denied this.

Lt McBarron said she was initially too ashamed and embarrassed to admit the reasons she had left the base. Mr Connelly said the officer, who earned €34,690 per year, had run into financial difficulties and borrowed cash from a person who now wanted it back. She felt "isolated and vulnerable" over the debt. Lt McBarron felt under severe pressure to deal with the outstanding debt and left the base... When first interviewed, she had refused to say why she left her post but Mr Connelly said his client now wanted to "render an explanation for her actions", something "strangely absent from the documentation". After taking the stand, the officer became emotional as she told the court she had borrowed cash and was being "pressed" to pay it back. She left the base on the night of September 13 to do so.
Reprimand for wannabe Miss Ireland who lied to army bosses - National News, Frontpage - Independent.ie

Odyessus

pete2

I honestly cannot believe that a male officer behaving in this way would not have been dismissed from the Army, and quite properly too.
She shouldn't be appealing to the population via the media either but I suppose they have their reasons for wanting her to stay on. She will continue to attract attention so hope whatever institutional problems might exist which lead to her dismissed harassment complaint are dealt with.

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
She is a an odd person

Indo
The pair were snapped leaving Dublin's Morgan Hotel. Not one to shy away from the limelight, Collette was previously snapped at socialite Kieron Ducie's 40th birthday party.
When she appeared with Kenny she sent Irish snappers into a frenzy -- flashing a sparkling ring on her engagement finger. In recent weeks the relationship turned sour.
As Egan fled the country to escape the glare of the media, Collette's sister Christina claimed he fled because Collette had dumped him.
Ducie was heavily involved in the Katie French incident

Her court martial shows odd behaviour:

Indo
She also pleaded guilty to falsely recording in a ledger that she had carried out a patrol on the same night.
Thirdly, she admitted she had lied to her commanding officer six weeks later, telling him a named colleague had agreed to cover for her on the night she was absent from her post. The colleague denied this.
Lt McBarron said she was initially too ashamed and embarrassed to admit the reasons she had left the base.
Mr Connelly said the officer, who earned €34,690 per year, had run into financial difficulties and borrowed cash from a person who now wanted it back. She felt "isolated and vulnerable" over the debt.

Tribune
The admission came as it emerged colleagues of another female officer, lieutenant Collette McBarron, claimed she had gone to a nightclub on the night she admitted to abandoning her post.
Herald
Her mother, Bernadette previously told the Herald that people were trying to discredit Collette's good work with the Defence Forces.
"I know everyone always thinks their son or daughter is great, but I just feel that Collette has always done her best at everything and has so many achievements to her name and I hate to think that it might all be wiped out because of a few bad stories," she said.
Also she seems to be really stirring it up by pretending to be a victim:

Either way, controversial Army lieutenant Collette McBarron fears that her career may be in danger after she was photographed smooching a member of the English rugby team last weekend.
The part-time model and socialite was photographed with English rugby player Tom Croft last Saturday after the England-Ireland game at Croke Park.

Meanwhile, a Defence Forces spokesperson says Collette "won't be reprimanded for this".
"We don't monitor what officers do in their spare time. We've no policy in terms of monitoring young officers in their free time.
The court martial is clearly separate from the sexual assault allegation , the court martial penalty appears lenient to my mind.

cYp

Odyessus

She is a an odd person

The court martial is clearly separate from the sexual assault allegation , the court martial penalty appears lenient to my mind.

cYp

The whole thing is farcical. She should be shown the door. How much respect can real soldiers have for this silly young woman?

florin

Lt McBarron said she was initially too ashamed and embarrassed to admit the reasons she had left the base. Mr Connelly said the officer, who earned €34,690 per year, had run into financial difficulties and borrowed cash from a person who now wanted it back. She felt "isolated and vulnerable" over the debt. Lt McBarron felt under severe pressure to deal with the outstanding debt and left the base... When first interviewed, she had refused to say why she left her post but Mr Connelly said his client now wanted to "render an explanation for her actions", something "strangely absent from the documentation". After taking the stand, the officer became emotional as she told the court she had borrowed cash and was being "pressed" to pay it back. She left the base on the night of September 13 to do so.[.quote]If owing money made her feel "isolated and vulnerable", how will she feel if her platoon (or whatever) is pinned down without backup?

Fining a girl €950 is stupid in the extreme.
She is not a girl, she is a woman and a soldier.

Odyessus

Lt McBarron said she was initially too ashamed and embarrassed to admit the reasons she had left the base. Mr Connelly said the officer, who earned €34,690 per year, had run into financial difficulties and borrowed cash from a person who now wanted it back. She felt "isolated and vulnerable" over the debt. Lt McBarron felt under severe pressure to deal with the outstanding debt and left the base... When first interviewed, she had refused to say why she left her post but Mr Connelly said his client now wanted to "render an explanation for her actions", something "strangely absent from the documentation". After taking the stand, the officer became emotional as she told the court she had borrowed cash and was being "pressed" to pay it back. She left the base on the night of September 13 to do so.[.quote]If owing money made her feel "isolated and vulnerable", how will she feel if her platoon (or whatever) is pinned down without backup?

She is not a girl, she is a woman and a soldier.

She is no soldier.

PaulMeyer

So. it's even worse than I thought, we now have neglect of duty and making a false report to cover it up, involving another officer in a deception or lying about it, and when confronted about her actions she lied to her CO, twice! On top of all that she obviously has financial problems and has gotten herself into debt, a HUGE No No for any officer. Her integrity is clearly in doubt (and that's putting it mildly!) and I'm surprised she has not been required to resign on those grounds alone. How could she possibly reprimand a subordinate for something similar? There is no way that she still has the respect of her fellow officers or the NCO's and ranks under her, and that's the crux of an officers existence. It's not so long ago that a British officer with such "issues" would face the choice of resignation, being cashiered or going for a midnight walk with a bottle of whisky and the Mess Webley. In all seriousness I have seen at least two officer's careers ruined for less.

My advice to her CO? Get rid, NOW!

Last edited:

Andrew49

Twitter
AndrewSB49
Irish Defence Forces spokesperson:

"We don't monitor what officers do in their spare time. We've no policy in terms of monitoring young officers in their free time. If someone wants to write a story about her in the paper, that's it, it's nothing to do with us,
The spokesperson added that the Army does not instruct officers how to conduct themselves when they're off-duty...
... apart from the normal mores and values of society that anybody else abides by. The Army is only going to get involved if a person is breaking army rules.
He added that officers such as Collette often get weekends off since ...
... it would be unusual to have to work every weekend.
Seems this officer's behaviour is being judged [here and media-wise] because she's a woman. Speaking as an ex-serviceman in Óglaigh na hÉireann I've seen far far worse behavior from male officers and male soldiers without any of the judgments evident here. And she's certainly not the first officer to be on orders for being AWOL!

candi

Just wondering how can this thread have the heading it has when in fact there is no evidence she is a victim.

“She made an allegation of sexual assault against a fellow officer in Dundalk at the time, and in the interest of fairness was moved to Dublin while this was being investigated.

“A full Military Police investigation, led by a senior officer, was carried out; however charges were dismissed due to a lack of evidence. These investigations have been completed for a number of months and 2/Lt McBarron has now been returned to her parent unit.”

It is a very interesting thread and shows how increasingly vulnerable the male population is to false accusations deemed at ruining a persons reputation, no matter how clean he may come out of any investigation.

evercloserunion

It's not necessarily a false accusation. Sexual assault is obviously a pretty hard thing to prove, usually it comes down to her word against his and as this thread shows there are still a lot of knuckle-draggers around who think that sensible, reasonable women have some interest in lying about being sexually assaulted and trying to ruin innocent men's lives. While these people exist, a lot of perfectly valid claims of sexual abuse are going to fail for lack of evidence. Look at the low conviction rate for rape as another example.

Not saying that the man in question actually committed the alleged assault in this case just making a more general point.

DaBrow

She is a an odd person

cYp
England rugby players accused of sex attack are refusing to talk to us, say police - Telegraph

From those independent quotes, it's very bad on your part if you're found kissing a player from a team that was involved in an act that you yourself are claiming to be victim of.

4 England players were involved in NZ last year, and she is seen kissing an england player?

Not smart..................

Aindriu

The whole thing is farcical. She should be shown the door. How much respect can real soldiers have for this silly young woman?
I fully agree. She should have been dismissed not fined. What will she do in a war zone? Run home crying to mammy? :rolleyes:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies