Irish army training excercise in donegal......didnt know they had it in them

bokuden

The Irish Army Ranger Wing is highly respected around the world as one of the best Special forces units in the world, they are also among the best equipped with over €100,000 of equipment for each member, but of course the number about 100
They've won international competitions with other elite forces, I believe. I've also heard that the rangers had to deal with SAS units sneaking over the border in the 70s and 80s, but I don' know how true that is.

Lektuvelis

They've won international competitions with other elite forces, I believe. I've also heard that the rangers had to deal with SAS units sneaking over the border in the 70s and 80s, but I don' know how true that is.
Well, they never did deal with the SAS crossing the border. Infact, I would be quicker to speculate that they would have assisted them in coming over, kidnapping people and bringing them back over the border so they could arrest them - wouldn't be beyond possible.

The Gardaí had better success against the SAS than ARW.

This whole discussion brings me back to the RTE's documentary on what would happen if the Free State army defended the six counties - pure rubbish.

mickdotcom

Well, they never did deal with the SAS crossing the border. Infact, I would be quicker to speculate that they would have assisted them in coming over, kidnapping people and bringing them back over the border so they could arrest them - wouldn't be beyond possible.

This whole discussion brings me back to the RTE's documentary on what would happen if the Free State army defended the six counties - pure rubbish.
ANy chance you would care to back p that staement with a source of reference

and even a link to it-

Otherwise be a nice chap and withdraw what is obviously a lie or at least

an exeragation.

nakatomi

Were the British army allowed to fly spotter planes over the republic in the late 80s , early 90s.

The gardai did catch a SAS unit though.

Aspherical123

No they havent.

The ARW never existed in the 1970s.

sgtharper

The Irish Army Ranger Wing is highly respected around the world as one of the best Special forces units in the world, they are also among the best equipped with over €100,000 of equipment for each member, but of course the number about 100 being
Well it's good to hear that the Govt. is prepared to spend a few bob equipping this unit properly but as for being "one of the best Special forces units in the world", well I'm not so sure to be frank. I've never heard this claim anywhere other than on this Forum and given that the ARW has yet to prove itself on serious active service, as have all of the accepted first-rate, "Tier 1" SF units, then I'm afraid the jury must still be out on that one. It takes more than some nice new kit to achieve that sort of recognition and acknowledgement.

Aspherical123

Were the British army allowed to fly spotter planes over the republic in the late 80s , early 90s.

The gardai did catch a SAS unit though.
An SAS unit stopped at a Garda check point in a vehicle over the border and were arrested and fined for illegally carrying firearms, if thats what you mean.

Ask Not

Well it's good to hear that the Govt. is prepared to spend a few bob equipping this unit properly but as for being "one of the best Special forces units in the world", well I'm not so sure to be frank. I've never heard this claim anywhere other than on this Forum and given that the ARW has yet to prove itself on serious active service, as have all of the accepted first-rate, "Tier 1" SF units, then I'm afraid the jury must still be out on that one. It takes more than some nice new kit to achieve that sort of recognition and acknowledgement.

Am I correct in thinking that it was the ARW that captured Liberian dictator Charles Taylor

Aspherical123

Am I correct in thinking that it was the ARW that captured Liberian dictator Charles Taylor
He was extradited from Nigeria.

wiki
That year, he resigned as a result of growing international pressure and went into exile in Nigeria. In 2006, the newly elected President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf formally requested his extradition. Upon his arrival in Monrovia, he was transferred to the custody of the United Nations Mission in Liberia and immediately flown to Sierra Leone. He is currently being held in the United Nations Detention Unit on the premises of the Penitentiary Institution Haaglanden in The Hague, where he is on trial before the Special Court for Sierra Leone for his role in the civil war.[3]

sgtharper

I have no idea, but if they did, so what? It's hardly the battle of the Tora Bora caves after all?.

sgtharper

Odyessus

Here is a report on the SAS being arrested after crossing the border.

The Argus reports on the arrest of eight armed SAS men 30 years ago at Omeath, County Louth.

I agree that the RTE documentary you refer to was pure rubbish.

March Hare

There is no point comparing Irish D/f to the UK G7 / nuclear power alternative. However, the Irish D/F do a very professional job with realitively limited resources. However earlier comments re the helicoptor are valid, what they have is adequate, but again political expediency intervened and the Ministerial air transport function got a large weighting in the overall purchase criteria - therefore the current fleet of Heli's are limited in terms of payload capacity be it military or S/R function (should it be required). So while they are modern equipment, they are a notch or two below what the D/F would ideally have to properly perform their function - again the typical Irish square pegs and round holes saga.

Again there is a core point to this, in this country political interference or at any rate second guessing political prefences has led to sub-optimal policy making and decision making across the entire public service .... and then people ... inc politicans have a go at reforming the public service when their meddling has helped create the problem in the first place .. sorry I digress.

former wesleyan

No they havent.

The ARW never existed in the 1970s.
Defence Forces - Army Ranger Wing History
Army Ranger Wing History
In the late 1960s and early 1970s a small number of Defence Forces personnel attended American Army Ranger Courses at Fort Benning, Georgia in the United States. On their return, these personnel were responsible for organising similar type courses which were aimed at bringing standards of training throughout the Defence Forces into line with accepted international standards.

Odyessus

There is no point comparing Irish D/f to the UK G7 / nuclear power alternative. However, the Irish D/F do a very professional job with realitively limited resources. However earlier comments re the helicoptor are valid, what they have is adequate, but again political expediency intervened and the Ministerial air transport function got a large weighting in the overall purchase criteria - therefore the current fleet of Heli's are limited in terms of payload capacity be it military or S/R function (should it be required). So while they are modern equipment, they are a notch or two below what the D/F would ideally have to properly perform their function - again the typical Irish square pegs and round holes saga.

Again there is a core point to this, in this country political interference or at any rate second guessing political prefences has led to sub-optimal policy making and decision making across the entire public service .... and then people ... inc politicans have a go at reforming the public service when their meddling has helped create the problem in the first place .. sorry I digress.

The problem in a nutshell is the Irish people don't want to spend the money necessary for a top-class Defence Force, but they reserve the right to deride and mock the one we have and compare it unfavourably with military forces in countries which spend multiples of what we do on defence.

sgtharper

sgtharper

And that's roundabout where he was killed by his comrades who tried to cover it up and the false story was promoted by the media who used him as a recruitment icon.
:roll: Which in turn has nothing to do with the thread or the point I was making about the ARW. Are you determined to go "off Piste" on this for some reason?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies