• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Irish biggest spenders in Europe at Christmas @ €1000. Europe avg €590. Dutch €287

YesSireeeBob

We'll be Europe's biggest spenders this Christmas - National News - Independent.ie

Down form €1,300 at the height of the boom in 2008.

Spending 500 on gifts is madness. I've a feeling a lot of these gifts given to adults will end up on ebay.

288 on food / drink and 178 going out isn't too bad - at least the economy is being helped as money will be spent locally.

This is what people plan to spend but their plans might change when the budget is revealed - and less money for the government.

momentimori

It hasn't been adjusted for purchasing parity

Crazy horse 6

I'd say we spend around a third of that here in this house. People just need to say no.

stopdoingstuff

I reckon I will be unlikely to spend 400 this year- a few presents, some booze, some food.

Crazy horse 6

Xmas food is just the weekly shop + turkey and ham. Booze is'nt consumed over xmas. Our family don't buy each other presents.:) Just the kids pressies so worth about 100 each in total. Grand total about 400 or so.

tigerben

We'll spend twice that in this house, Three kids ( one for Santa only) will come in at 1200( give or take 400 per child) then clothes on top. I spend 100 my Mother , 50 each on my sisters and brother (3) 75 on my dad, 30 each to nieces and nephews with a little extra for my godson (7) and 100 will be spent on my husbands side. He provides for his godson(80) and I will spend around 200 on my husband. Food and drink on top.

Aindriu

I have six grandchildren and two great grandchildren.

The teenagers expect laptops and TVs!!!

THIS year they may get a book. From Oxfam! :)
Therein lies the problem, too high expectation levels.

Tin Foil Hat

We have bigger households, I imagine that skews it.
Bigger families. A larger young population. Higher prices. Longer holidays than most countries, I think. Also, the Santa Clause thing doesn't even happen at Christmas in some countries - it happens on the 5th or 6th of December.
Oh, and the dutch are notoriously tight.

Conor

McTigs

We'll spend twice that in this house, Three kids ( one for Santa only) will come in at 1200( give or take 400 per child) then clothes on top.
Bloody Hell, 400 per child on Santa! It's people like you who had me thinking he didn't like me as much as he liked the other kids in the village. I was really ************************************g good all year too!

We go round to my folks for a couple of days and our kids are both under two so there obviously isn't a whole lot of boozing going on and Santa will be coming but hardly big, they get bombarded with stuff by their rich grandparents anyway. Me and the wife will get each other something nice, €100 odd spend each.

We do Kris Kindle among the bothers and sisters and parents and what not so there isn't huge money their either, about €50 to 100 again.

It's modest enough i suppose but the dutch, that's just miserable.

D

Dylan2010

if you have the money fine, but the idea of running up debts for xmas shows how toxic the Irish family can be and how little backbone people have to avoid the pressure to keep up appearances.

Analyzer

if you have the money fine, but the idea of running up debts for xmas shows how toxic the Irish family can be and how little backbone people have to avoid the pressure to keep up appearances.
There is a massive problem with regard to superficiality, and the expenses that go with it.

And there is no debate out this in public, because the debate is itself a danger of to people whose needs are served by the media.

D

Dylan2010

There is a massive problem with regard to superficiality, and the expenses that go with it.

And there is no debate out this in public, because the debate is itself a danger of to people whose needs are served by the media.
Indeed, wait for the string of sob stories on RTE about money lenders and the struggles "poor" people have with paying for xmas,which will be a laugh condersing that RTE will be wall to wall adverts and TV shows about what you "ought" to be doing for the holiday.

NewGoldDream

Website
-
288 on food / drink and 178 going out isn't too bad
The €178 going out is interesting. I know fellows who'd drink through most of that in a sitting and my initial reaction was that it doesn't stack up. On the other hand, I appreciate that there is a whole lot less going out around the place. I wonder what that figure was back in 05/06.

Victor Meldrew

largely a symptom of not knowing how to be happy, and being deeply unhappy.

iartaoiseach

In fairness many dutch don't even know when christmas is. I was asked by a colleague when I worked there what date christmas was on. they make a bigger deal of sinterklaas(santa) in early december. the comparison on spend is inaccurate unless it includes the spend on that day too.

meriwether

Lets hate ourselves for making a bigger deal of Christmas than other countries do.

Why don't we pat outselves on the back for spending much less on Thanksgiving day than the typical US family?

And the typical Irish family spent far less than the typical UK family this year on the Queens jubilee celebrations. Go Ireland! Fiscal responsibility!

And we spent far, far less than the typical french family did on Bastille day! Cutbacks!

But we did spend more on St Patricks day than the average German family! Boo! Austerity is needed!

Popular Threads

Most Replies