Irish blamed for EU's overspending on translation service

Hillmanhunter1

Irish blamed for EU's overspending on translation service - Independent.ie

Why on earth are we burdening the EU with this nonsense? There isn't a single person in Ireland who speaks only Irish. Every Irish speaker born in the last 100 years is fluent in English.

Its all very well and good to be nostalgic about the Irish language, but apart from a few romanticists and fascists (both of the SF variety and those who don't want little Sean educated beside little Mohammed) nobody has the faintest interest in actually speaking Irish (nevermind reading EU reports in Irish).

We are no less Irish because we speak English, and the increasingly made-up nature of the Irish language is an embarrassment.

We now are a mature and confident nation, time to leave this childishness behind.

D

Deleted member 17573

How can they pinpoint their budget overrun as being due specifically to one of the languages into which documents are translated?

Sister Mercedes

Costs twice as much to translate a page into Irish as any other EU language. We're so good at ripping off that now we're exporting it.

Spanner Island

How can they pinpoint their budget overrun as being due specifically to one of the languages into which documents are translated?
I wouldn't think it's too difficult... Irish translators are probably a lot thinner on the ground than others... given the miniscule amount of people who are fluent in Irish... as opposed to... well... probably any other EU language...

So they probably have to pay through the nose for it... due to limited availability of translators and of course it's all part and parcel of national and EU bureaucracy etc... which 'establishment' Ireland excels at... or something along those lines...

Alphonse

I would have thought such activities are simply academic myself as opposed to being political and yes there are many reasons to value and preserve a language.

Hillmanhunter1

Accountants, line-item budgeting, systems and controls, etc. Not that hard.

D

Deleted member 17573

I wouldn't think it's too difficult... Irish translators are probably a lot thinner on the ground than others... given the miniscule amount of people who are fluent in Irish... as opposed to... well... probably any other EU language...

So they probably have to pay through the nose for it... due to limited availability of translators and of course it's all part and parcel of national and EU bureaucracy etc... which 'establishment' Ireland excels at... or something along those lines...
Surely they would have known that when preparing their budgets? I'm also struck by the fact that they are outsourcing this work, and at the rates quoted translators must be millionaires.

Spanner Island

Surely they would have known that when preparing their budgets? I'm also struck by the fact that they are outsourcing this work, and at the rates quoted translators must be millionaires.
Irish translators can probably name their price...

Getting Irish added as an official EU language wouldn't be a priority of mine at any time.

It is a waste of money imo... but I've no doubt many will disagree.

PBP voter

They owe us around €40billion.

PBP voter

I'm sure the demand for such documents is great; after all, Irish people are well known for doing their business through Irish. :rolleyes:

Bank of Ireland's decision to remove Irish language option from ATMs slammed - Independent.ie

If fewer than one in a hundred people uses the Irish option on an ATM, what number trawl through complex documents written in our, eh, national language?!
Clare County Council has spent €30,250 on translating three statutory development plans into Irish - and has not sold a single copy,
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/irish-translations-gather-dust-after-costing-council-30-000-1.1018659

Gin Soaked

Irish blamed for EU's overspending on translation service - Independent.ie

Why on earth are we burdening the EU with this nonsense? There isn't a single person in Ireland who speaks only Irish. Every Irish speaker born in the last 100 years is fluent in English.

Its all very well and good to be nostalgic about the Irish language, but apart from a few romanticists and fascists (both of the SF variety and those who don't want little Sean educated beside little Mohammed) nobody has the faintest interest in actually speaking Irish (nevermind reading EU reports in Irish).

We are no less Irish because we speak English, and the increasingly made-up nature of the Irish language is an embarrassment.

We now are a mature and confident nation, time to leave this childishness behind.
They should ask for each language translation fee to be paid for by the state requesting same.

And then the govt should dump that bill on the Gaeltacht funding...

Translating laws no one will bother to read is pointless. Not a rational way to promote the language.

D

Deleted member 17573

Irish translators can probably name their price...

Getting Irish added as an official EU language wouldn't be a priority of mine at any time.

It is a waste of money imo... but I've no doubt many will disagree.
I agree - and if we do want to invest in Irish I'm not sure that reams of EU documents would yield the best return!

GDPR

Pure idiocy.

Being an EU interpreter is a mighty hard game - I know one and he is dizzyingly fluent in five languages.

I wonder how many Irish people are? Most Europeans at professional level function well across three languages, their native one, English, plus another.

Ireland prides itself on Irish which only a tiny minority speak and use. Why?

Bertie's Hat

Absolute waste of resources. Having to read through EU legislation as part of my job I would be quite confident that not a single person has used the Irish version for most of them

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

New Threads

Most Replies