Irish Catholic Office Sign.

SideysGhost

FFS.

Still loads of priestlicking churchmice lurking in the civil service - especially health and education - stuill determined to inflict their weird creepy 1950s Holy Catholic Direland on everyone else.

between the bridges

Jaysus...

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
That is one hideous piece of work. I suggest a judicious piece of editing some night with some white paint to reveal the following morning in the light of day the new lettering arrangement to read 'The Irish Cat hol e'.

See how long Bord Pleanala decide to retain it then.

fat finger

Old news but it's still there. Anyone who doesn't think there was an agenda behind this decision is either in partisan denial or politically naive. I saw this the other day and it makes me sad.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/heritage/bord-plean%C3%A1la-orders-retention-of-ugly-irish-catholic-sign-1.2526183

An obvious objection to the sign is that 'Irish Catholic' stands at odds with Catholicism as the universal faith in which St Paul tells us "There is no Jew or Greek, slave or free, male or female; for you are all one in Christ". The decision, however, was correct, and affirms the building's history, the city's history and the continuing determination of committed public servants to resist the tide of secularisation and use every means to remind passers by every day of our shared faith and ideals. A good decision was made here.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
The sign might have to stay there according to Bord Pleanala but I don't think there is any law against covering it over as long as it is not damaged.

Mad as Fish

It's so awful that it is kinda cool.

If the authorities are so keen on preserving it because it dates from -

when Perspex acrylic was first used for box signage of its type,

then hanging it on an outside wall, exposed to the elements, is probably the worst way of doing so.

former wesleyan

" People have little to worry them."

My grandmother circa 1957.

RasherHash

Old news but it's still there. Anyone who doesn't think there was an agenda behind this decision is either in partisan denial or politically naive. I saw this the other day and it makes me sad.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/heritage/bord-pleanála-orders-retention-of-ugly-irish-catholic-sign-1.2526183
They want to replace one ugly sign with another.

Paddywagon is a particularly unfortunate and negative title for a tour group.

Both names belong in the past.

An obvious objection to the sign is that 'Irish Catholic' stands at odds with Catholicism as the universal faith in which St Paul tells us "There is no Jew or Greek, slave or free, male or female; for you are all one in Christ". The decision, however, was correct, and affirms the building's history, the city's history and the continuing determination of committed public servants to resist the tide of secularisation and use every means to remind passers by every day of our shared faith and ideals. A good decision was made here.
Resisting the "tide of secularisation" forms no part of the job description of our public servants and they should be sacked if they were to engage in any such thing.

flavirostris

That is a nice old sign and I'm glad they were not allowed to tear it down. It's just the usual Catholic bashers complaining.

If the sign said anything else, they would be calling for it to be preserved.

The word 'Catholic' triggers these people in a way that's hard to understand for someone that isn't anti-Catholic.

GDPR

" People have little to worry them."

My grandmother circa 1957.
And right she was, but and in fairness to them if one of your main concerns in life is to be anti catholic you would find this no end of upsetting, although I'm personally not convinced as yet that was an active consideration in the decision to retain.

Mad as Fish

They want to replace one ugly sign with another.

Paddywagon is a particularly unfortunate and negative title for a tour group.

Both names belong in the past.
Paddywagon is indeed somewhat backward and childish, but if it brings in the Yankee dollar......

flavirostris

Paddywagon is indeed a cringeworthy and offensive name. Way more offensive than 'The Irish Catholic'.

Who came up with that grinning leprechaun on the green buses? Maybe that should be torn down.

Sync

An obvious objection to the sign is that 'Irish Catholic' stands at odds with Catholicism as the universal faith in which St Paul tells us "There is no Jew or Greek, slave or free, male or female; for you are all one in Christ".
I always loved that line. So misguided. "There's no blue side of Rome or Red side of Rome. We're all one under Totti. There, everyone's happy now right?"

Mad as Fish

Paddywagon is indeed a cringeworthy and offensive name. Way more offensive than 'The Irish Catholic'.

Who came up with that grinning leprechaun on the green buses? Maybe that should be torn down.
The 'professional Irish' in the tourist trade have a pretty shrewd idea of what they are doing.

eoghanacht

The Irish Catholic......

Turns a blind eye to child abuse.

Thinks children led innocent Priests astray.

Is there a competition to finish the statement.

flavirostris

The 'professional Irish' in the tourist trade have a pretty shrewd idea of what they are doing.
Jaysus.. they must be some class of slieveen. Those buses are basically mobile hate crimes.

New Threads

Most Replies