Irish citizen captured fighting with ISIS

toughbutfair

Wow, if you actually believe that I implied in any way that she is a woman of principle then you are truly deluded. As far as I'm concerned the world would be a better cleaner and safer place if the camps she and the rest of her filthy scumbag brethren are in were bombed and raised to the ground annihilating every single one of them.
I agree. Kill them all.

Beachcomber

No you're not making yourself clear at all. Now you're claiming she's a woman of principle.

I think she warrants a long imprisonment for joining ISIS but let's hear her story first. The Kurds have been courageous enough . She's our problem that was inflicted on them so we should deal with her.

The Kurds should misplace her while she is being transferred from the camp to wherever she is sent to next.

Politics matters

There sure is a mystery to why she did what she did. There may be a lot to be gained by bringing her back home. We could find out how and why she became radicalised, thus helping in the prevention of it happening again. More importantly, she could lead a trail to others who've managed to avoid being in the spotlight.

You seem to think that her total motivation was her devotion to radical Islam but isn't it likely that there's a traitorous element? Which was the stronger?

Her story could be very interesting or maybe not?
Or she likes the brown pudding. Many white women who convert to Islam also happen to be in relationships with Muslim men.

Prester Jim

Very recent BBC interview with Lisa Smith from the camp where she is being held with her daughter (click play on the video in the link). Was also played back on Sean O'Rourke it seems.

IS bride Lisa Smith denies training girls
As things are right now we have to accept her home, i think we need a rethink of laws in the area however. She might well be a risk to Ireland, at the very least she could end up radicalising others. The law is behind the curve on this in general. How do prisons cope with fundamentalists radicaling criminals? mostly they don't, it just happens.
Should we isolate fundamentalists they will use the chance to plan and further radicalise each other, should we mix them in the population of prisons they will radicalise some of non-organised criminals.
Needs to be thought about.

Finbar10

As things are right now we have to accept her home, i think we need a rethink of laws in the area however. She might well be a risk to Ireland, at the very least she could end up radicalising others. The law is behind the curve on this in general. How do prisons cope with fundamentalists radicaling criminals? mostly they don't, it just happens.
Should we isolate fundamentalists they will use the chance to plan and further radicalise each other, should we mix them in the population of prisons they will radicalise some of non-organised criminals.
Very tricky situation for the authorities to deal with I'd say. The story on the ground seems to be that she trained young girls with guns for a few months in Raqqa (as evidenced by the BBC reporter's questions; she appeared to have actually talked to some people trained by Smith; was a group in the area called Sound and Picture making similar allegations before). There are also allegations that she was an associate of the "White Widow" Sally Jones and her husband Junaid Hussain, who supposedly were planning sleeper cells and attacks in Europe and around the world before they died. How much of that association is provable or true or, if so, how close it was is another question. Probably a lot of the women in the camp really are just ordinary housewives. However, the Kurds seem to be a bit leery of just leaving her go. Chances are she'll end up back here sooner or later (particularly with her child's welfare in mind). However, I'm sure there'll have to be a whole team employed to keep her under round-the-clock surveillance for the foreseeable future.

Pyewacket

Very tricky situation for the authorities to deal with I'd say. The story on the ground seems to be that she trained young girls with guns for a few months in Raqqa (as evidenced by the BBC reporter's questions; she appeared to have actually talked to some people trained by Smith; was a group in the area called Sound and Picture making similar allegations before). There are also allegations that she was an associate of the "White Widow" Sally Jones and her husband Junaid Hussain, who supposedly were planning sleeper cells and attacks in Europe and around the world before they died. How much of that association is provable or true or, if so, how close it was is another question. Probably a lot of the women in the camp really are just ordinary housewives. However, the Kurds seem to be a bit leery of just leaving her go. Chances are she'll end up back here sooner or later (particularly with her child's welfare in mind). However, I'm sure there'll have to be a whole team employed to keep her under round-the-clock surveillance for the foreseeable future.
This is what they are doing in Canada with returned jihadis. It is based on the Danish system, which works so well no one has re-offended. Worth reading.

The Canadian expert points out that only a vanishing minority of returnees are raring to continue the fight. Most are thoroughly disillusioned by the Glorious Islamic Way of Life, traumatized and very scared of what is going to happen to them back in the country they left.

Finbar10

This is what they are doing in Canada with returned jihadis. It is based on the Danish system, which works so well no one has re-offended. Worth reading.

The Canadian expert points out that only a vanishing minority of returnees are raring to continue the fight. Most are thoroughly disillusioned by the Glorious Islamic Way of Life, traumatized and very scared of what is going to happen to them back in the country they left.
Sounds like a good anti-extremism program for returnees in Canada, but I wonder will there be one here? The article did say that about a third of Western fighters died, another third moved to another Muslim-majority country and a final third returned home (these usually were the disillusioned ones). However, I suppose Lisa Smith is not in a position to voluntarily do anything at the moment so we don't really know what category she is in (she did head there when ISIS was at its height, making beheading videos and killing Yazidis etc.), but perhaps she actually is disillusioned at this stage and perhaps the Irish state will really organize a comprehensive anti-extremism program for her if she returns (who knows?).

Lagertha

Britain is having to isolate them in prisons because the problem of them is so extreme. Germany introduced new laws to make travelling abroad to fight for a foreign terrorist organisation a criminal offence that carries a prison sentence and Ireland should be doing the same. This tramp will return to Ireland and ultimately she'll go scot free because that's the way our system is. Don't be surprised if she's given a new identity, or maybe she'll just wear her veil. One thing we do know for certain is that she'll be walking into a free taxpayer funded house when she returns, given benefit payments, a medical card and free travel and it's highly unlikely that she'll ever do a days work for the rest of her life.

Lagertha

Sounds like a good anti-extremism program for returnees in Canada, but I wonder will there be one here? The article did say that about a third of Western fighters died, another third moved to another Muslim-majority country and a final third returned home (these usually were the disillusioned ones). However, I suppose Lisa Smith is not in a position to voluntarily do anything at the moment so we don't really know what category she is in (she did head there when ISIS was at its height, making beheading videos and killing Yazidis etc.), but perhaps she actually is disillusioned at this stage and perhaps the Irish state will really organize a comprehensive anti-extremism program for her if she returns (who knows?).
The only reason she wants to come back is because her husband is dead and she doesn't want to be stuck in a camp for life. If IS had been successful we'd never have heard of Lisa Smith, it would be better to stop referring to her as Lisa Smith and refer to her by her chosen Muslim first name and her husbands surname but the Irish media won't do that, they want to make out that she's one of us, she isn't.

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com

However, her claims are in stark contrast to documents and reports collected by Syrian human rights group Sound and Picture, who say she worked for several months in Raqqa teaching girls -aged between seven and 12 – how to use light weapons.
nothing on their website

Last edited:

reg11

The only reason she wants to come back is because her husband is dead and she doesn't want to be stuck in a camp for life. If IS had been successful we'd never have heard of Lisa Smith, it would be better to stop referring to her as Lisa Smith and refer to her by her chosen Muslim first name and her husbands surname but the Irish media won't do that, they want to make out that she's one of us, she isn't.
She's not one of you but she is one of us.

Why did she do what she did? It wasn't like she was a born and bred in Ireland Muslim male who had an identity crisis and couldn't see himself making headway in Ireland in accordance with our norms. She had a secure career that took effort and a degree of talent to achieve but she threw it all away. Why?

Politics matters

Why did she do what she did? It wasn't like she was a born and bred in Ireland Muslim male who had an identity crisis and couldn't see himself making headway in Ireland in accordance with our norms. She had a secure career that took effort and a degree of talent to achieve but she threw it all away. Why?
Muslim willy.

jimbohane

There is no doubt that either directly or indirectly with her training ISIS women on the use of weaponry she is responsible for many deaths including those of the brave Kurdish people who stood up to those animals using only outdated Soviet arms. If she is ever allowed back she should be electronically tagged and forbidden from using any mobile phone or computer. An evil woman who aided those who want to destroy the west , A female version of Lord Ha Ha who was hanged for far less.

Lagertha

Islam does weird things to people. Radical Islam allows people to indulge their passions for assault, rape, torture and the enslaving of non Muslims or Muslims who aren't fanatical. Why do people find it so difficult to believe that she did what she did because she's a fanatical Muslim convert? She has stated that she wants to live in a Caliphate, Ireland is not a Caliphate although if she comes back I've no doubt she'll be doing her best behind the scenes to try to ensure that it becomes one. She found her way over there, leave her there.

Pyewacket

I saw that interview. She came across as arrogant, defensive and quite lacking in empathy.

That doesn't make her a killer or a potential killer. Plenty just like her at home. :(

New Threads

Top Bottom