Irish citizen captured fighting with ISIS

reg11

No comparison, why did the IRA carry out those attacks? Because the Brits were oppressing their people, forcing them to live in squalid conditions, depriving them of the right to work and vote.

In 1998 the IRA lay down their arms and entered into a peace process that has lasted over twenty years, do you honestly think Islamists would ever negotiate with their enemies like that?

What are Islamists in Ireland motivated by? What have we done to them?
What about the Irish who went to fight for either side in the Spanish Civil War? Comparison there?
Great to see an idealist marching down the middle of the road flying the Irish flag and singing: "Faith of our Fahters" as gaielige...
But the world ain't like that any more (SADLY)
The whole notion of citizenship as been diluted and degraded to exclude any notion of patriotism. Even back in SeeJay's day alias Charles Haughey he was giving away Irish passports to wealthy Arabs --- ummm ... for a fee.
The Irish diaspora has been wise to avail of citizenhip as the opportunity arose in their new country and Alan Shatter distributed Irish citizenship and passports like confetti at a wedding or snuff at a wake.
Other countries take a different approach: European countries such as Germany discourage multilple citizenship, the Americans want any citizen whether in the US or living abroad to pay American tax... or forfeit their American citizenship. No joke.
The long and the short of it is that whereas you might have these deep notions of the sacredness and irrevocability of Irish citizenship or patriotism, other people don't share the same fervour.
See for example Lisa Smith :(
If as you claim Alan Shatter was devaluing Irish citizenship, it would be further devalued if it were a case that it could be removed based on one's political or religious beliefs.

Last edited:

reg11

Iris wasn't bonkers. She was an example of a not exactly complicated and rather silly type of female Evangelical Protestant. I found her unlike her husband to come across as basically a sweet human being.
Ok you knew her, I didn't. Maybe she was too sweet to be wholesome? Sweet and bonkers can go hand in hand. Her sexual antics with a young man didn't square with what she expressed.

Golah veNekhar

Ok you knew her, I didn't. Maybe she was too sweet to be wholesome? Sweet and bonkers can go hand in hand. Her sexual antics with a young man didn't square with what she expressed.
Well I wouldn't call marrying Peter Robinson exactly wholesome, now would you? I used the word sweet and wholesome, however I do think she is a gobshyte but never the less one with a rough and ready but genuine wholesomeness. Given the evident pressures of her marriage situation though it cannot be excused I don't think we should judge her affair to harshly. Comparing it- as wrong as it was- to homosexual activity is just crazy. Anyway she has repented.

reg11

Well I wouldn't call marrying Peter Robinson exactly wholesome, now would you? I used the word sweet and wholesome, however I do think she is a gobshyte but never the less one with a rough and ready but genuine wholesomeness. Given the evident pressures of her marriage situation though it cannot be excused I don't think we should judge her affair to harshly. Comparing it- as wrong as it was- to homosexual activity is just crazy. Anyway she has repented.
The comparison was not with homosexual activity but with her opinions on gay people. It was a strong indicator in our more enlightened culture of psychological/mental ill health. I’m not judging her at all from a moral standpoint but I hope the poor woman got the professional help she so badly needed. It’s being claimed that Lisa holds similar views but she went down a dark path of action for which she should be made pay.

Golah veNekhar

The comparison was not with homosexual activity but with her opinions on gay people. It was a strong indicator in our more enlightened culture of psychological/mental ill health. I’m not judging her at all from a moral standpoint but I hope the poor woman got the professional help she so badly needed. It’s being claimed that Lisa holds similar views but she went down a dark path of action for which she should be made pay.
If I remember correctly she didn't say anything about "gay people" as such, she said homosexuality is an abomination which if you are going to take the Bible at all seriously as a Theological document you have to accept- remember that the New Testament is a lot harsher on this subject than the Old Testament. She most probably considers what you call "gay people" as unfortunate creatures who have been demonized into committing foul acts and need to have the Gospel preached to them in a firm but loving manner.

What do you mean by the underlined?

reg11

If I remember correctly she didn't say anything about "gay people" as such, she said homosexuality is an abomination which if you are going to take the Bible at all seriously as a Theological document you have to accept- remember that the New Testament is a lot harsher on this subject than the Old Testament. She most probably considers what you call "gay people" as unfortunate creatures who have been demonized into committing foul acts and need to have the Gospel preached to them in a firm but loving manner.

What do you mean by the underlined?
IIRC there was nothing loving about what Iris had to say.

In current times most people are able to square being religious to some degree or other with accommodation for what they feel is right or wrong by use of their God given ability to reason. E.G., married women who use artificial contraception, They don't always take unhealthy literal interpretations from a bible or whatever holy book.

Have you ever known anybody who had such obsessions who weren't unwell?

Golah veNekhar

Which comes first, the chicken or the egg?
I think it is obvious that before she adopted Islam she shared the normal Southern Irish world view on things which means accepting homosexuality when it comes to her age group. The real question is how she went from being a common or garden Sunni Muslima to adopting the most extreme form there is of Salafi Jihadism. Lots of women like her convert to Sunni Islam but even those who go Salafi generally do not go to the lengths she did.

reg11

I think it is obvious that before she adopted Islam she shared the normal Southern Irish world view on things which means accepting homosexuality when it comes to her age group. The real question is how she went from being a common or garden Sunni Muslima to adopting the most extreme form there is of Salafi Jihadism. Lots of women like her convert to Sunni Islam but even those who go Salafi generally do not go to the lengths she did.
That's not the real question. The real question is why an Irish woman with no Islamic heritage fully cognizant of how far women have come in our culture, turns her back on that to revert back to The Middle Ages.

Why do 'lots' of women convert to Islam, in the first place?

reg11

Why isn't she being brought to trial for war crimes? Surely training ISIS followers to kill and maim innocent civilians which there is ample evidence of warrants that she should?
That's a good question. Maybe people fear it would open an almighty can of worms? Might Lisa never see the inside of an Irish court were she to return, for the same reason? These war crimes aren't like others, the offenders don't mind blowing themselves up to achieve their objectives.

omgsquared

That's not the real question. The real question is why an Irish woman with no Islamic heritage fully cognizant of how far women have come in our culture, turns her back on that to revert back to The Middle Ages.

Why do 'lots' of women convert to Islam, in the first place?
Saves on Hairdressing bill,

No Western Society has lost its way. It is destroying its Judeo Christian value system, Homosexuality is considered normal , transgenderism is considered normal, there is a breakdown of society which is based on the traditional heterosexual family. The traditional role of men and women are being undermined by a campaign that is driven bY greed and where there is little of a value system., everything is now judged by cost and profit.The likes of Kim Kardashian, Panty Bliss , become the influencers in society..
So if people believe in nothing then they tend to attempt to find something to believe in hence they become Islamisits, extreme environmental JSW , ANTIFA warriors or right wing Nazis.

One only has to walk through city centre Dublin to see how we as a society are reverting back to the dark ages, Homeless people begging more than there were 40-50 years ago when Ireland was “poor” , politicians attempting to reintroduce tenement housing ( shared housing), the concept of decent job, pensions, increasing levels of violence , lowering of personal standards by leaders, b 9 e.g. the recent insurance fraud case and the bankrupt td heading to Brussels, etc etc.
These are some of the reasons why people are turning to terrorism and Islam.

Lagertha

Ah, now I know who you are. :ROFLMAO:

reg11

Saves on Hairdressing bill,

No Western Society has lost its way. It is destroying its Judeo Christian value system, Homosexuality is considered normal , transgenderism is considered normal, there is a breakdown of society which is based on the traditional heterosexual family. The traditional role of men and women are being undermined by a campaign that is driven bY greed and where there is little of a value system., everything is now judged by cost and profit.The likes of Kim Kardashian, Panty Bliss , become the influencers in society..
So if people believe in nothing then they tend to attempt to find something to believe in hence they become Islamisits, extreme environmental JSW , ANTIFA warriors or right wing Nazis.

One only has to walk through city centre Dublin to see how we as a society are reverting back to the dark ages, Homeless people begging more than there were 40-50 years ago when Ireland was “poor” , politicians attempting to reintroduce tenement housing ( shared housing), the concept of decent job, pensions, increasing levels of violence , lowering of personal standards by leaders, b 9 e.g. the recent insurance fraud case and the bankrupt td heading to Brussels, etc etc.
These are some of the reasons why people are turning to terrorism and Islam.
At least you've answered what I've been asking.

Sure if one takes a cursory look at society now and compare it to what we think was the past then one would have to agree. However, it doesn't hold up to much real scrutiny. I think the spirit of the Judeo Christian value system is only now coming into its own in Western societies in many respects.

The nature of people doesn't change. Most people were fairly sh1tty then as they are now. The only difference being we're now more likely to be aware of the wrongdoing of the great and the mighty. People were deliberately kept in the dark in the past. People also feel more empowered or liberated than in the past which in this case has resulted in catastrophic consequences. The option LS took wouldn't have existed for her in the Ireland of old. She'd have had a husband who would have kept her in her place. She chose bad whilst most do good.

Much of what you laud about the past was built on female sacrifice. Most don't want to do it anymore and that's their prerogative. Will Western societies survive? I guess so.

Maybe one would need to be a bit thick apart from being a bit crazy and evil to do what she did?

yosef shompeter

What about the Irish who went to fight for either side in the Spanish Civil War? Comparison there?

If as you claim Alan Shatter was devaluing Irish citizenship, it would be further devalued if it were a case that it could be removed based on one's political or religious beliefs.
If everyone and his granny throughout the world has Irish citizenship, it ain't worth zilch. If all these high-rollers have multiple citizenship the whole thing is reduced to gittin' the benefits from it.
Most people of Irish heritage must be slowly becoming aware that the "free lunch" crowd want what they have worked and saved for all their lives.
As I wrote above: The Germans and other countries discourage multiple citizenship. The US demands some of your annual taxes if you want to keep their citizenship. Ireland is a free for all and like any piano, soon it will be broken and out of tune. We can't run a proper health service, the housing situation is getting worse instead of better and the insurance industry is a self-service for those on the inside.

Lagertha

If everyone and his granny throughout the world has Irish citizenship, it ain't worth zilch. If all these high-rollers have multiple citizenship the whole thing is reduced to gittin' the benefits from it.
Most people of Irish heritage must be slowly becoming aware that the "free lunch" crowd want what they have worked and saved for all their lives.
As I wrote above: The Germans and other countries discourage multiple citizenship. The US demands some of your annual taxes if you want to keep their citizenship. Ireland is a free for all and like any piano, soon it will be broken and out of tune. We can't run a proper health service, the housing situation is getting worse instead of better and the insurance industry is a self-service for those on the inside.
My mum worked for most of her life. She had missed some contributions, not many, for various reasons and was on a reduced pension which she had to fight tooth and nail to get made up to a full pension. She has to pay 50 euro to see a doctor if she gets sick, she has to pay full price for her prescriptions too. She recently got her free Travel pass.

But what's sticking in people's throats is that anyone showing up here and claiming asylum, even when they are here illegally, is entitled to free accommodation care of DP, 3 meals a day in DP, a free travel pass and a free medical card. That is seriously fooked up and you'd better believe that we are going to be working until we are at least 70 to pay for these benefit tourists.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies