• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Irish citizen captured fighting with ISIS

reg11

My mum worked for most of her life. She had missed some contributions, not many, for various reasons and was on a reduced pension which she had to fight tooth and nail to get made up to a full pension. She has to pay 50 euro to see a doctor if she gets sick, she has to pay full price for her prescriptions too. She recently got her free Travel pass.

But what's sticking in people's throats is that anyone showing up here and claiming asylum, even when they are here illegally, is entitled to free accommodation care of DP, 3 meals a day in DP, a free travel pass and a free medical card. That is seriously fooked up and you'd better believe that we are going to be working until we are at least 70 to pay for these benefit tourists.
Oh so I get it. Lisa went on a brutal rampage in the ME to kill them at source because she didn't want them coming here as benefit tourists and she having to work until 70 to pay for it.

Maybe we should give a civic reception instead? Our dear uchtarain might allow a room in his aras to be used where her weaponry would be put on permanent display.

Lagertha

Lisa's child's father isn't Irish and possibly has dual citizenship in his father's home country, perhaps ''Lisa'' and her child should seek asylum in her husband's home land.

Lagertha

You'll be working until 70 eitherway, benefit tourists or not.
Probably true, but if the taxes I were paying were doing something tangible that I approved of like paying for services like hospitals etc for people, both Irish and EU nationals who've been here paying taxes and contributing to our economy then that would be something. It's the fact that our government is flouting the Dublin agreement and letting any African who lands here stay for years making failed claim after failed claim and being bullied for the sake of optics, into letting kids from illegal migrant backgrounds stay in the country because the school they attend started a petition to keep them in the country.

Or the way that the asylum process has been changed so that instead of keeping genuine refugees here until it is safe for them to return home our government has instead introduced a system where those granted asylum are now able to bring in as many relatives as they like, i.e the guy who brought in 70 relatives and that's only one case that we know of.

People don't mind helping genuine refugees, but the majority here are migrants posing as asylum seekers who are costing us a fortune. The new system was supposed to stop that but now we have people going through the asylum process system being told that they don't have a right to asylum but are being given Leave to Remain. Say that out loud, you are an economic migrant with no right to be here but we're letting you stay anyway. Makes no sense.

Politics matters

IvoShandor

Twitter
yes
Maybe they should be reminded about Abu Nuwas..but no doubt, they'd be outraged.

reg11

Probably true, but if the taxes I were paying were doing something tangible that I approved of like paying for services like hospitals etc for people, both Irish and EU nationals who've been here paying taxes and contributing to our economy then that would be something. It's the fact that our government is flouting the Dublin agreement and letting any African who lands here stay for years making failed claim after failed claim and being bullied for the sake of optics, into letting kids from illegal migrant backgrounds stay in the country because the school they attend started a petition to keep them in the country.

Or the way that the asylum process has been changed so that instead of keeping genuine refugees here until it is safe for them to return home our government has instead introduced a system where those granted asylum are now able to bring in as many relatives as they like, i.e the guy who brought in 70 relatives and that's only one case that we know of.

People don't mind helping genuine refugees, but the majority here are migrants posing as asylum seekers who are costing us a fortune. The new system was supposed to stop that but now we have people going through the asylum process system being told that they don't have a right to asylum but are being given Leave to Remain. Say that out loud, you are an economic migrant with no right to be here but we're letting you stay anyway. Makes no sense.
Like most people in Ireland I don't know what's true or not true with regard to asylum seekers and the asylum system. However, I do know it shouldn't cost so much. The service providers are obviously making out like bandits from it.

You say it makes no sense. I think you're right. If I was an uneducated, not very bright thus less likely to have bright kids I wouldn't see the sense in moving to a country like Ireland, to have no hope that either oneself or one's progeny would ever be able to move up the ladder.

I know an electrician who wasn't the brightest who went on a contract to an African country and stayed for a few years after contract was over. He couldn't believe his luck, it was the land of opportunity. The lack of regulation was ideal for his wheeling and dealing. In a relatively few short years he had made a fortune whilst his cohorts probably struggled for years in the US and Oz, just like similar migrants will be doing here. If you don't have the fit or your kids are unlikely to have it, then it's foolish to move to Western countries such as Ireland.

Lagertha

Like most people in Ireland I don't know what's true or not true with regard to asylum seekers and the asylum system. However, I do know it shouldn't cost so much. The service providers are obviously making out like bandits from it.

You say it makes no sense. I think you're right. If I was an uneducated, not very bright thus less likely to have bright kids I wouldn't see the sense in moving to a country like Ireland, to have no hope that either oneself or one's progeny would ever be able to move up the ladder.

I know an electrician who wasn't the brightest who went on a contract to an African country and stayed for a few years after contract was over. He couldn't believe his luck, it was the land of opportunity. The lack of regulation was ideal for his wheeling and dealing. In a relatively few short years he had made a fortune whilst his cohorts probably struggled for years in the US and Oz, just like similar migrants will be doing here. If you don't have the fit or your kids are unlikely to have it, then it's foolish to move to Western countries such as Ireland.
The problem is that unemployment in Africa is huge, youth unemployment in particular is running at around 55%. The wages are so low that a life on benefit in Ireland pays more per year than a year of working back home.

yosef shompeter

There you have the nub of it all (above in bold).
I was recently reading an article about how many refugees want to head for Ethiopa
Of course the article is very sympathetic towards their plight. But one refugee nailed. He actually is waiting his chance to move on to Europe or America so as to become a (you name it) footballer, ballet dancer ....whatever.
Back in my student days in the eighties on two occasions I had "guests" sleeping on my floor in a student room. The first were a Polish couple. They could have easily applied and got asylum then when Breschnev's Red army were batin' Solidarnosc trade union and Lech Walesa. But they told me that they wanted to go back. The next lad was much older than me. He was Iranian. He did apply for asylum (and got it), but he freely admitted to me that nobody in Iran was persecuting him. It was just that it was so "boring" in Iran where you were supposed to pray five times a day to Allah.

Now fast forward to Ireland where 90% of the applicants were deemed to be bogus -- but the government tolerates them to stay on in the country! The govt even replaced the commissioner who was refusing 90% of them so as they'd look more liberal. The trouble is that these lads who are hanging around for years, they wear out the welcome for the (few) genuine refugees who desperately need asylum.
Even the ones being fished out of the Mediterranean of late -- one of them said that he came from Ghana. He really should explain why a reasonable person would agree that he was being persecuted in Ghana... or another example Nigeria. If you are persecuted in Northern Nigeria, why not move into Lagos... a big city that provides anonymity. And it's rich. They have oil.

Politics matters

So all Muslims are all the same, all bad?
No, but there is a big risk involved in allowing your daughter to get with one of them.

A member of my family was in such a situation and it did not end well.

It is safer for Irish women to stick to their own kind. If they don't, the worst-case scenario is they end up radicalised like Lisa Smyth, others will end up being the victims of domestic violence.

reg11

No, but there is a big risk involved in allowing your daughter to get with one of them.

A member of my family was in such a situation and it did not end well.

It is safer for Irish women to stick to their own kind. If they don't, the worst-case scenario is they end up radicalised like Lisa Smyth, others will end up being the victims of domestic violence.
There's an underlying assumption in what you say, that all women are vulnerable and innocent and open to being taken advantage of, in need of our protection.

I too have an anecdote too regarding a distant relative. She married an African man and it didn't end well either. It seems she wanted motherhood but didn't want the traditional route to it and he was the very type that fit the bill. When she had her two kids, which he worked his ass off at menial jobs to provide for, she started her endless nagging and having the single life again. He left Ireland with his EU passport, broken hearted and used leaving her to look like the victim to those who don't know the inside story.

What are the odds that LS didn't selfishly use Muslim men for her own deranged purposes?

Politics matters

There's an underlying assumption in what you say, that all women are vulnerable and innocent and open to being taken advantage of, in need of our protection.

I too have an anecdote too regarding a distant relative. She married an African man and it didn't end well either. It seems she wanted motherhood but didn't want the traditional route to it and he was the very type that fit the bill. When she had her two kids, which he worked his ass off at menial jobs to provide for, she started her endless nagging and having the single life again. He left Ireland with his EU passport, broken hearted and used leaving her to look like the victim to those who don't know the inside story.

What are the odds that LS didn't selfishly use Muslim men for her own deranged purposes?
Hard to say. This woman's circumstances are similar to Samantha Lewthwaite, also known as 'The White Widow', she too converted to Islam when she met her future husband and became one of the most ruthless Muslim terrorists in the world. Her husband was also part of the jihadist group responsible for the London 7/7 attacks.

yosef shompeter

Some more liberal pro-migration for yous from der Fatherland:
It certainly doesn't appear at a timely moment for der Spiegel because Germany is once again in the throes of self doubt what with two recent court cases about serious violent behaviour against young women.
I'd also draw your attention to this link once again:
In it the report presents positive reports of successful migration/ integration? but when one of the success stories says he wants to immigrate on to the golden west that says it all. You can safely assume that practically all of them whether refugees or Ethiopian -- or Morrocon or whatever, consider heading to the west whatever way they can. Wouldn't you? A small rubber dinghy? No, a bit risky for most. Incidentally, the smugglers get the asylum seekers to "paddle their own canoe" so to speak. That way the smugglers remain on the right side of the law. They merely sold a boat with outboard motor and radio in the Libyan/Turkish jurisdiction.
Do the refugees have a point? Well consider that the temperature in France last month nearly got to nearly 40 degrees celcius... in India it surpassed 50 degrees celcius.
Tough times ahead all round

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies