• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Irish company's supply factory collapses killing over 1000

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Primark is one of the world's most successful clothing companies yet few realise it is Irish. It only employs about 30, 000 directly but employs some 250, 000 more indirectly, mostly in the 3rd World who make its garments.

Today news comes through that 113+ people died in Bangladesh in a building collapse of one of its suppliers:

Dozens dead after factory supplying Primark collapses in Bangladesh - Telegraph

I am fine with Primark's existence as I accept globalisation as a positive force, yet I wonder why their record isn't subjected to more scrutiny here.

Primark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

cYp

darkhorse

Are you suggesting that the building collapse was Penney's fault?

eoghanacht

Is it not a bit unfair to drag Penny's into this. I doubt they were aware that there was cracks appearing in the building in the last 24 hrs.

Any cyp as a dedicated neo con capitalist you'd happily have Irish people working in similar conditions wouldn't you.

Anything to remain competitive right?

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Is it not a bit unfair to drag Penny's into this. I doubt they were aware that there was cracks appearing in the building in the last 24 hrs.

Any cyp as a dedicated neo con capitalist you'd happily have Irish people working in similar conditions wouldn't you.

Anything to remain competitive right?
No I wouldn't. That said this business is welcome to Bangladesh and hopefully will raise them out of their corrupt mire

spidermom

Didn't they announce huge profits this week??....

Nemesiscorporation

Primark is one of the world's most successful clothing companies yet few realise it is Irish. It only employs about 30, 000 directly but employs some 250, 000 more indirectly, mostly in the 3rd World who make its garments.

Today news comes through that 113+ people died in Bangladesh in a building collapse of one of its suppliers:

I am fine with Primark's existence as I accept globalisation as a positive force, yet I wonder why their record isn't subjected to more scrutiny here.

cYp
30,000 employee's and it is Irish.

I hope it is paying tax in Ireland.

Not paying its tax in Ireland could be seen as anti-Irish in a time of austerity :)

Deep Blue

yet few realise it is Irish.
I don't know where you're postng from but everyone in Ireland has known for years that Penneys/Primark is Irish. Arthur Ryan owns the company. Married to Alma Carroll, former Eurovision entrant.

Toidissatafu

cYp
A multinational is just that.
Primark are a subsidiary of a London based PLC, who themselves are owned by global shareholders, notably North American.

By definition, there is really no such thing as a PLC [SUP][SUB]public [/SUB][/SUP]that really belongs to any nation bar symbolism.

There are plenty of foreign PLC's that are based in Ireland for tax purposes, some do not employ more than a handful & then only by necessity. Yet on paper they are based in Ireland.

Factory collapses is down to poor building not the company who buys from them. Primark purchased from a company who had one floor in an 8th story building.

I remember a friend was in Turkey during the mega Earthquake, Company he went to see, his company sourced from ceased to exist inside 10 minutes when whole building collapsed killing in excess of 200 people. They had sourced for 5 years but ensuring building will not collapse is not part of their agreement commercial agreement.

forest

I always say if you a buying a pair of trousers for 5€ you have to ask who is losing out in this deal

ON THE ONE ROAD

I always say if you a buying a pair of trousers for 5€ you have to ask who is losing out in this deal
Yeah not that more expensive brands necessarily cost more to produce but think its fair to ask for contentious buyers which rules or costs are being avoided by locating in 3rd world countries.

Twin Towers

I don't think I'd wear a pair of €5 trousers but I'm sure those that are making them are happy to have a job.

Brian Foley

Shocking and Tragic, all those kids who's parents didn't pick them up from School today. Cheap and cheerful for us simply means that other people pay a higher price elsewhere.

Asparagus

I don't think I'd wear a pair of €5 trousers but I'm sure those that are making them are happy to have a job.
Yep. a dollar a day goes a long way in some countries.
0 dollars a day goes no where, fast.

You pull nike and pennys out of these places for "ethical reasons" and you cause a famine.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies