Irish connection to the London Attacks

ruserious

Surely the point should be that if you apply for asylum in a country and are refused , you should be returned to your own country , not just allowed to wander off to try your luck elsewhere .
There are masses of failed asylum seekers hidden in plain sight in the UK. Very easy to get a ferry to Ireland and avoid the near non existent GNIB controls at the sea ports.

hollandia

The U.K. shares immigration history with Irish authorities.

Any good journalists reading: please put in an FOI for the Jihadis original visa application.
And you know for a fact that they shared this particular piece of information? Because in the case of the Italian-Moroccan killer, it appears the UK did not act on the information provided to them by Italian Security Services. Seems to me that there are far too many assumptions being made here on the basis of absolutely no evidence whatsoever.

Sister Mercedes

There are masses of failed asylum seekers hidden in plain sight in the UK. Very easy to get a ferry to Ireland and avoid the near non existent GNIB controls at the sea ports.
They won't be non-existent for much longer at this rate.

Analyzer

Shatter had the cops focussed on priority tasks.

Like collecting information on Mick Wallace.

And nabbing Claire Daly for drink driving and alerting the propaganda organ in Montrose. ( which had the story on the rvening news even though Daly was cleared weeks later, & effectively reported as a news item for a non-offence, as if it were an offence ).

Meanwhile terrorist come and leave like as if it was being facilitated by means of incompetence.

ruserious

Isn't there already considerable co-operation between the ROI and UK on terrorism and all things related?

Hence the assurances given, for example, that the RAF was covering against any sort of 9/11 attack?

But It does seem that there was some EU based loophole that enabled this dirtbird to get a foothold in the archipelago - and it would be sad if the threat ended up damaging the free movement within the Islands.
It's not a loophole. It's a guaranteed European right. He married an EU national in a country other than her own and was therefore eligible for European treaty rights and once received used the Surinder Singh route back to the UK. And there are many Irish and UK solicitors offering advice on how to do this.

Analyzer

Border control here is inadequate and ineffective.

Sister Mercedes

And you know for a fact that they shared this particular piece of information? Because in the case of the Italian-Moroccan killer, it appears the UK did not act on the information provided to them by Italian Security Services. Seems to me that there are far too many assumptions being made here on the basis of absolutely no evidence whatsoever.
There are 20,000 identified radicals in the UK, of which about 3,000 are under constant surveillance. That's a lot of people to keep track of. Meanwhile Ireland has 30 'identified' radicals.

hollandia

There are 20,000 identified radicals in the UK, of which about 3,000 are under constant surveillance. That's a lot of people to keep track of. Meanwhile Ireland has 30 'identified' radicals.
Thank you for making my point for me.

eoghanacht

in Dundrum you often see groups of people that are likely praying at Clonskeagh. What is most noteworthy is the relative lack of diversity in these groups ( ie the relative lack of pale irish christian/athiest types ). It does beg the question : Are these people integrating within the general population or are they a separate and aloof grouping that will never integrate ?
I dunno but I feel a lot safer knowing that you and cattle pest are keeping an eye on any dodgy brown folk.

Cruimh

I suspect - with no proof admittedly - that information is easily lost between the various agencies monitoring Extremists.

ruserious

They won't be non-existent for much longer at this rate.
Well the Dept of Justice seem to be taking over passport control duties from GNIB. I think they started in Dublin airport already. The idea I believe is to free up GNIB for more macro investigations such as this.

TheWolf

The intelligence guy on Kenny's radio show earlier reckons it takes 60 members of the security forces to monitor each suspect.
Ireland is a haven for these ragheads.

ruserious

Border control here is inadequate and ineffective.
I remember reading an article that the numbers refused entry to the country has had more than a 100% increase on 4 years ago last year.

Cruimh

It's not a loophole. It's a guaranteed European right. He married an EU national in a country other than her own and was therefore eligible for European treaty rights and once received used the Surinder Singh route back to the UK. And there are many Irish and UK solicitors offering advice on how to do this.
As far as I'm concerned it is a loophole. Do people have a "right" to marry dangerous cúnts and enable them to enter countries they hate and want to attack? if they do then no wonder we want out of the EU....

occams_butterknife

Isn't there already considerable co-operation between the ROI and UK on terrorism and all things related?

Hence the assurances given, for example, that the RAF was covering against any sort of 9/11 attack?
Yes, there is. And rightly so.

We would obviously do our own assessment.. but that would (realistically) be based on UK-gathered intelligence anyway!

ruserious

As far as I'm concerned it is a loophole. Do people have a "right" to marry dangerous cúnts and enable them to enter countries they hate and want to attack? if they do then no wonder we want out of the EU....
We are in danger of using hindsight with this case. He may have only radicalised in the last 6 months for all we know at this point.
You're right though, the route he used back to the UK, although legal, is a serious abuse of the system.

'orebel

Who is this 'we' you speak of?

eoghanacht

GSOC, underfunded, toothless, ineffectual.....will be praised/attacked by politicians playing political football.

Office of corporate enforcement, underfunded, toothless, in effectual...

tusla...same

Financial regulator.....same

And some people want an intelligence service brough forth with no mention of funding.

Guy on the radio said it would take at least ten years before it would be up and running.

Do you know what the pass out rate for British intelligence is compared to its recruiting rates.

Less than half will be selected, with a 50% drop out rate amongst the remainder of the recruits.

It's all well and good saying we need this and that but the practicalities of such and under taking are not being full appreciated.

occams_butterknife

Who is this 'we' you speak of?
Well, that poster can't be referring to the people of NI.. which is odd given that he or she appears to be from the people's republic of derry. A visionary is always rejected in their homeland though, so we have to forgive... ;) :D

New Threads