• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Irish Courts - €2,500 being donated to a benevolent fund for former civil servants who have “fallen on hard times”.

Beaker

Irish Courts - €2,500 being donated to a benevolent fund for former civil servants who have “fallen on hard times”.

With the state of the Irish economy, and the many deserving charitable organisations that exist for poverty, cancer, mental health etc etc.....

I was amused to hear an Irish court directing donations to a benevolent fund for former civil servants who have “fallen on hard times”. - Tallifornia star Cormac Brannigan has green diesel conviction wiped clean - Independent.ie

So what exactly is this benovelent fund???? Is it for judges????

tigerben

What! Can former civil servants not manage on the OAP pension like a lot of people. It is March Ist not April Ist?

southwestkerry

Lads I read the link to the tallyphone guy/program... why in the name off God is the US always used as an excuse to dodge a conviction along with an donation off cash. COB anyhow methinks... as for the TV3 gig... biggirlsblouses I say.
swK

sauntersplash

More than likely most of this money will end up in the hands of financially insecure, elderly widows of former civil servants.

Judges are not civil servants.

Get a life ya bunch of bigoted jerks.

brughahaha

With the state of the Irish economy, and the many deserving charitable organisations that exist for poverty, cancer, mental health etc etc.....

I was amused to hear an Irish court directing donations to a benevolent fund for former civil servants who have “fallen on hard times”. - Tallifornia star Cormac Brannigan has green diesel conviction wiped clean - Independent.ie

So what exactly is this benovelent fund???? Is it for judges????
I wonder if this fund is to cover many that retired from state sector jobs in the 70's and 80's on set pensions that weren't grade or index linked, But were fixed at time of retirement ...... Have vague recollections of a CIE uncle retiring in the early 80's on a fixed pension of £15 .....which if he was still live today would not really suffice ...

tokkie

What! Can former civil servants not manage on the OAP pension like a lot of people. It is March Ist not April Ist?
Evidently, some cannot manage as is the case with other OAPs who rely on charity. BTW do you know what the average pension is for a retired civil servant, or are you indulging in your usual groundless, poorly informed approach?

daveL

Sister Mercedes

Is there a Court-supported benevolent fund for former Private Sector Workers who've fallen on hard times?

cabledude

You beat me to it. Hates that:)

brughahaha

Is there a Court-supported benevolent fund for former Private Sector Workers who've fallen on hard times?
There are many areas where private sector or the self employed have legitimate grievances about pay pensions and perks enjoyed by SOME public servants and the poor management of resources or poor customer service in SOME areas of the PS
This thread and its particular complaint however seems to display nothing but curmudgeonly begrudgery especially asthe OP doesn't even know the functions of the charity involved and just assumes retired PS workers could never ever need charitable assistance - an argument it would take all of 3 seconds to destroy

Socratus O' Pericles

How shall we attack the public service,
Let me count the ways...........

livingstone

We can imagine how insightful this thread's going to be.

Staff benevolent funds aren't unusual, and not, as far as I'm aware, in any way publicly funded. Civil Servants are asked if they want a portion of their income donated to the charity that, as the name suggests, helps former civil servants or their families that have come upon financial hardship.

For the record, before people start bemoaning the idea of a civil servant in hardship, or a civil servants family, remember that a staffer at a passport office, or a new teacher, or plenty of other jobs with modest incomes are civil servants, and just as prone to accidents, illnesses, death as anyone else.

As far as I know, courts made orders for donations to a range of charities, so not sure why this should be excluded.

It seems to me the money would have been better spent in educating the Independent's sub-editors in how to spell the names of TV programmes correctly.

Sister Mercedes

As far as I know, courts made orders for donations to a range of charities
Why don't they just impose fines (and a conviction), instead of instructing donations to the pet charity of whoever happens to be the Judge on the day?