• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Irish Daily Mail, nasty but needed.

Verhofstadt

Website
As much as I despise the tone of the Irish Daily Mail you have to give them some credit for breaking down the cosy cartel in Irish media.. just read these puff pieces in the Irish Times & Indo followed by Broadsheet's snap of the Mail story and compare and contrast:

Denis O'Brien and chums organise a celebration of BOD.. no harm there.. but who do they invite, only Seanie Fitzpatrick.

’A roomful of Paddies, a free bar and the future king of England. It’s going to be messy’ - Rugby News | Rugby Results, Fixtures & Tables | The Irish Times - Tue, Mar 19, 2013

Prince William makes special appearance at BOD

Meanwhile, At The Grosvenor House Hotel | Broadsheet.ie

The fact that the Indo uses the phrase "the Great and the Good" in respect of Seanie Fitz is too sad a reflection on our sick state.

Verhofstadt

Website
Why is it important whether Seanie Fitz attended O'Driscolls dinner?
I think it is newsworthy that an event organised by our biggest media mogul includes a pariah like Seanie.

The Golden Circles haven't gone away you know.

If it is newsworthy to report the other attendees why ignore Seanie?

jpfahy

The Daily Mail has consistently exposed scandals and corruption in this country. The writers for other papers here should be ashamed to call themselves journalists.

meriwether

I think it is newsworthy that an event organised by our biggest media mogul includes a pariah like Seanie.

The Golden Circles haven't gone away you know.

If it is newsworthy to report the other attendees why ignore Seanie?
'Newsworthy' does not equal 'important'.

Jersey shore is newsworthy. It is not important. Seanie Fitz attending O'Driscolls dinner is mere tittle tattle, designed to elicit a pavlovian response than anything else.

Verhofstadt

Website
'Newsworthy' does not equal 'important'.

Jersey shore is newsworthy. It is not important. Seanie Fitz attending O'Driscolls dinner is mere tittle tattle, designed to elicit a pavlovian response than anything else.
Disagree, while it may not be as important as much other news, it is newsworthy in that it shows that Fitzpatrick is still sitting at the top table of Irish corporate society.

You can bet Bernie Madoff won't be getting similar invites in the US if ever gets out of jail.

It shows he still has money to burn.

emulator

Agree totally....

The media in this Country know what's what and seldom put themselves in harms way to tell a story.... never mind the truth.

We need more (do we have any ?) investigative journalists in this Country....

Radix

Ah no.. he's bankrupt don't you know.

Presumably he made some of the people in the room wealthy, with the Irish Government asking the rest of us to underwrite and indemnify such privilege.

Rural

Agree totally....

The media in this Country know what's what and seldom put themselves in harms way to tell a story.... never mind the truth.

We need more (do we have any ?) investigative journalists in this Country....
The problem is that the media folk, politicians, rich "exiles" and union officials all wine and dine together.

Half Nelson

Irish Daily Mail, nasty but needed.
The exact same thought occurred to me. To a large extent it broke the cosy mould of Irish reportage.
Bertie hated it.

mr. jings

The problem is that the media folk, politicians, rich "exiles" and union officials all wine and dine together.
+1. A lot of journos seem to really buzz off the fact that they're embedded with Dail players without seeming to care too much about the limitations that can often come hand ion had with such cosiness. This couple with the high ratio of opinion pieces to scrupulous reporting/investigave journalism has long defanged and spayed many of our newshounds.

Last edited:
D

Dylan2010

you see if it was "you" or me and Fitzpatrick was put at the next table to you at a restaurant, I'd like to think reasonable people would want to be reseated. I'm sure he wasnt short of people to talk to.

Rural

you see if it was "you" or me and Fitzpatrick was put at the next table to you at a restaurant, I'd like to think reasonable people would want to be reseated. I'm sure he wasnt short of people to talk to.
I wouldn't sit beside any of them - Ergo, I'm unemployed at the moment, because I do not do sucking up.

ard san aer

It's also interesting to note how the mainstream media vilified the GAA in general because a few misguided individuals were publicly supporting Sean Quinn. Contrast this to BOD surrounded by some dodgy characters: but these are "the great and the good"!!!

Popular Threads

Most Replies