Irish Democratic Party - Public Meeting

Rochey

Ireland’s newest centrist political party, The Irish Democratic Party, invites you to “Rebuilding Your Republic” – our first public meeting which will take place on Tuesday, 16 November 2010 at 8pm in The Church Bar, Mary Street, Dublin 1.

The time is right for a new political movement in Ireland. Despite the circumstances the country is now faced with, none of the major parties have outlined a true vision for change. The other parties have yet to realise that our political system itself is at the root of the inadequate regulation, poor judgement and questionable decisions made by those in power. Our party chair Ciarán Ó Floinn explains:

"We're obviously not all about political reform, but ... political reform is definitely our differentiator. It's what separates us from all of the existing political parties. None of the existing parties want to do this because it would lessen their control. We're about the only political party that wants to get into power in order to give it away - back to our citizens."

The event is your opportunity to discover a credible alternative in Irish politics. Come along and hear about the IDP's core values and its vision of political reform for Ireland. Some of the institutional reforms we are proposing include:

• New directly-elected regional assemblies to manage regional affairs; replacing the failing council system.
• True municipal government to build strong local communities; allowing community decisions to be made at a community level.
• The direct election of the executive branch of our national government by abolishing the unelected Office of the Taoiseach and vesting the Office of the President with executive powers.
• The re-establishment of the Initiative Process in our constitution; giving our citizens a stronger voice in the legislative process.

We are also hoping to hear a range of ideas from attendees about political reform and policy issues in general. You are also welcome to become members of the Irish Democratic Party and by doing so, help to firmly establish this movement and directly challenge those who claim to represent us.

If you want real change in Irish politics; if you want root and branch reform of our political system; if you want a true centrist alternative then come along to “Rebuilding Your Republic” on Tuesday, 16 November 2010 at 8pm in The Church Bar, Mary Street, Dublin 1.

To find out more about our party, the event or to join this new democratic movement please visit:

Irish Democratic Party - Rebuild Your Republic

Casillas

It's good to see someone trying to do something but half the population lives outside Dublin. Is this just a small let's build up in the capital thing again?

redhead101

It's good to see someone trying to do something but half the population lives outside Dublin. Is this just a small let's build up in the capital thing again?
If you feel strongly about it, you could organise a meeting outside Dublin yourself.

Rochey

We are trying to build it up outside the capital too but we're short members at the moment. We were on the Sean Doherty show on Highland Radio recently and we've got some members from Donegal from that and they're going to try set up a meeting there soon. Other than that most of our members are in Dublin or surrounding commuter areas at the moment.

fluffykontbiscuits

What is your policy on Immigration?

I see you mention 'Citizens'

- I presume you mean only Irish Citizens?
Being the opposite side of the divide of Catalpa I would be interested in hearing it too, plus gay marriage, human rights and taxation

Clanrickard

What is your policy on Immigration?

I see you mention 'Citizens'

- I presume you mean only Irish Citizens?
Trust you. Being a typical ignorant xenophobic bigot you scanned the website to see if they were "agin them furriners".

oddsox

this smells of PD ,,,boom to bust
except this time its DP bust to boom

former wesleyan

Why does the term " democratic " in any political party cause shivers to run up (and down ) my spine ?

Chrisco

My problem is that you have put the cart before the horse too much: rather than being a platform and magnet for people (like myself) who believe in the importance of constitutional and electoral reform, you have laid out from the beginning one vision of what that reform should be.

I am not sure if I agree with that vision of reform, so am not sure if the IDP offers any sort of political home for me...

ocoonassa

If you want real change in Irish politics; if you want root and branch reform of our political system; if you want a true centrist alternative then come along to “Rebuilding Your Republic” on Tuesday, 16 November 2010 at 8pm in The Church Bar, Mary Street, Dublin 1.
Are you officially signed up to these principles Direct Democracy Ireland?

I may well not want your centrist alternative if it's just more of the same corporatist folly, but I might see myself supporting you on the issue of root and branch reform of the political system. I imagine others might feel the same.

The problem with the opposition to the current Kleptocracy is that it's fragmented under many different banners and some like myself aren't under any banners at all. I see an Irish Liberal Party starting up and now yourselves. Maybe the best policy is to find common ground and for the 31st Dáil only stand on that ticket. One that will guarantee the basic fundamental changes that all the opposition can agree on.

ocoonassa

Why does the term " democratic " in any political party cause shivers to run up (and down ) my spine ?
I know what you mean but the whole notion of political factions set in stone does exactly the same thing to me.

commonman

its the f...en pds in disguise harney will be out the back lis listening

Rochey

My problem is that you have put the cart before the horse too much: rather than being a platform and magnet for people (like myself) who believe in the importance of constitutional and electoral reform, you have laid out from the beginning one vision of what that reform should be.

I am not sure if I agree with that vision of reform, so am not sure if the IDP offers any sort of political home for me...
To be honest we're a very small party at the moment and our policies will and can be adjusted as our membership grows. However the main issue that binds us is that there is a need for a replacement of the current parliamentary democracy system with a seperate executive and legislature and replacing the current council system. So if you believe in that please come along to the meeting.

In relation to additional policies, we have one on our site regarding the banking crisis but we don't want to create a full list of policies until we have a larger membership. We want the people who join to have a say in what the party stands for. Root and branch political reform is really what we're about at the moment, although we realise we will need to create policies around taxation, human rights, immigration et al.

Regarding gay marriage, the current 'executive' would be in favour of it but that wouldn't be official party policy at the moment.

Rochey

Are you officially signed up to these principles Direct Democracy Ireland?

I may well not want your centrist alternative if it's just more of the same corporatist folly, but I might see myself supporting you on the issue of root and branch reform of the political system. I imagine others might feel the same.

The problem with the opposition to the current Kleptocracy is that it's fragmented under many different banners and some like myself aren't under any banners at all. I see an Irish Liberal Party starting up and now yourselves. Maybe the best policy is to find common ground and for the 31st Dáil only stand on that ticket. One that will guarantee the basic fundamental changes that all the opposition can agree on.
That's not a bad idea. I read through the Direct Democray principles and I agree with them but we are not officially signed up to it.

BTW we are not the PDs reincarnated.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies