• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Irish dole does not pay enough.

AngloIrishLad

I have read with stark shock and horror the attitudes people have to the Irish unemployed.

Last month I lost my job and I have had to sign on to support my family.

The welfare I receive does very little to help and support myself and my loved ones.

I am a married man with 5 children. I didnt have my children to claim benefits, I had 5 children because I knew I could love and support them.

The company I worked for went bust after the banks withdrew credit from them.

My Income was well over €60,000 a year.

I am able to claim around €460 per week in welfare.

This equals to around €65 per person in my family.

I also receive Child benefit of around €960.00.

My total Welfare payment including CB, equals to around €681.00 per week.

This is around €35,412 per year.

With my Welfare payment I have the following bills.

A mortgage of €850 per month.

Weekly food shop of €260.00

Monthly electricity costs of €140.00 - €280 per month average spend.

Motor costs of € 250.00 per month, this is made up from the costs of taxing my vehicle, servicing petrol and insurance.

Because of my family size I have to have a vehicle of a certain size, I also live in the countryside and have to travel for job interviews, shopping and signing on.

I have a monthly credit card repayment of € 100.00 per month.

I have a car loan of €400.00 per month, the car is essential as mentioned above.

And I also have a home improvements loan of €300 per month.

My total outgoings are €3166 per month.

My total incomings are €2951 per month.

I also have other costs which I havent mentioned, Clothes for the kids, School uniforms, TV licence, House Insurance, not to mention I have no idea how I am going to be able to pay towards Birthdays and Christmas.

How will I afford heating oil this winter?

Clearly I am in discussion with MABS to reduce my loan repayments, but even after meaningful reductions such as the above I still will have to repay a hefty amount of cash to my debtors.

Mabs have told me that I will be left with virtually no money at the end of each month.

I am unemployed by no fault of my own. I want to work. I cant get a job.
I have debts.

I am eating up my savings.

Can someone please tell me how I am living it up on Welfare?

I always thought my job was safe, but alas I was wrong.

It happened to me, it could happen to you.

hammer

Yes some attitudes are very bad, but that is what some people are like. It is pure luck as to who will lose their job next. Some people want to dump on everyone. Be careful not to generalise. Liam Carroll was once worth €1,000,000,000 now all his staff will lose their jobs.

All i can say is approach bank, and ask for interest only for 2 years.

Keep sending out cv`s but it could be a few months b4 you get anything. A lot of employers wont even reply to your letters.

Dont read to many posts as you will get even more depressed.

Expect the Govt to cut your income by at least 10% so make adjustments now.

This govt dont care about you and your family so expect nothing in extra assistance.

Pick up even a small job every week and it might not effect your welfare. check first.

Keep the head up.................... you are not alone

Tommy Tayto

Em, I'll be brutally frank with you. You should have saved some money for a rainy day. There, I said it. We are not responsible for your money management.

Stendec

I have read with stark shock and horror the attitudes people have to the Irish unemployed.

The welfare I receive does very little to help and support myself and my loved ones.

I am a married man with 5 children. I didnt have my children to claim benefits, I had 5 children because I knew I could love and support them.

Motor costs of € 250.00 per month, this is made up from the costs of taxing my vehicle, servicing petrol and insurance.

Because of my family size I have to have a vehicle of a certain size, I also live in the countryside and have to travel for job interviews, shopping and signing on.

I have a car loan of €400.00 per month, the car is essential as mentioned above.

I also have other costs which I havent mentioned, Clothes for the kids, School uniforms, TV licence, House Insurance, not to mention I have no idea how I am going to be able to pay towards Birthdays and Christmas.

Clearly I am in discussion with MABS to reduce my loan repayments, but even after meaningful reductions such as the above I still will have to repay a hefty amount of cash to my debtors.

Mabs have told me that I will be left with virtually no money at the end of each month.

I have debts.

sorry to hear that you poor basterd. dont mind the bolloxs here there all up there arses and living off there fathers. id love to see them living on the dole theyd be beggin by friday!!!

toughbutfair

Have you tried refinancing? If you bought your house many years ago then you may have equity in it which you can use to release a small bit of money to repay your credit card debts and car loans. This would save much cashflow. I'd also see if you could switch to an interest only mortgage. Does the dole pay the interest on mortgage when out of work?

I'd also cut the internet to save about 25 quid a month, use a library somewhere to check re jobs,etc or just pop into a friends place or have a working friend set up a hotmail account with your name and use it for cvs.

I'd definately try those agencies to help people with their money problems.

I also assume that your wife is looking for work? there is much sexism out there and it is unlikely you'd get hired for jobs society considers feminine.

That's my advice anyway.

Staropramen

I thought there was a massive backlog of welfare claims, you were lucky you got yours processed so quickly!

B

birthday

Be aware that if you are claiming for UA that it is means tested.
If you have been putting money aside for a rainy day you could end up being entitled to nothing.
Hope that you are sorted with new job long before that.
In the meantime it should be possible to stretch food budget much more and do something about your very high ESB bill. Are you sure that what you quoted is not the two mothly amount. Even still it seems unusually high.

kerrynorth

I have debts.

Are you not claiming your monthly mortgage payment against the mortgage insurance payment protection? If not why not? This covers your mortgage for a year. Thereafter you can claim for the mortgage interest allowance. Is there any reason why you have not included these in your calculations?

MrYouGoBoss

sorry for your troubles bud,
if your not already, shop in aldi, or lidls. get rid of that monthly car payment, buy an ol banger, just to get around, the loan your paying back for home inprovements, you can claim some of the interest back so get onto the tax office, cut down on the esb bills, one telly in the house in such cut down on your heating aswell, just wrap the kids up well.

irish_bob

Em, I'll be brutally frank with you. You should have saved some money for a rainy day. There, I said it. We are not responsible for your money management.
+1 , this is where i differ with those who ( although have contempt for those who are lifers ) are sympathetic to new entrants on the dole , any brickie , electrician , carpenter , plumber or tradesman in general who bothered to show up at work , could more or less name their price this last ten years , each of them has litterally ten golden years , surely they should have some savings to dip into now and not be completley relying on the state , ive said it before , you dont become poor over night , in america , its called dipping into your savings untill you get back on your feet

EamonnZ

Some attitudes here are disgraceful to put it mildly. Once you mention that you are on welfare, you are automatically a "scrounger"

Your position is similar to mine, I lost my job in October last, and like any normal person have a car, food, heat to maintain. Apparently, you are not allowed by some here to have a car whilst on welfare, despite the fact that you bought it whilst in employment.

I sincerely empathise with your situation, but attitudes here will not change unless the "begrudgers" here are put into the same position.

The way the Job Seekers allowance is structured is totally wrong, whereby a working person, paying taxes can be treated like any other who has not contributed at all.

I would suggest that you go to your HSE Welfare Officer and get help with the Interest Payments on your mortgage and also seek a supplementary income, neither I am entitled to because my circumstances differ in that I am not married but still support someone. they used to be called Health Boards until the HSE came along...

Also, check your credit card statements, if you see payment protection, then you will have the minimum amount paid for 12 months when made redundant as you have been paying protection against such an event. Your credit card company won't tell you that.

Just to point out, MABS findings/rulings or whatever you want to call them are not legally binding.

I wish you luck for the future and I hope that your fortunes change for the better.

Sincerely,

Eamonn

ballot stuffer

Talk to your banks early if you are having difficulties with the mortgage. Thats about all the useful advice I can offer.

Irish dole is one of the largest in Europe and we will be borrowing the 20 billion or so required to finance it this year even before bail outs are paid for which is unsustainable. Expect dole and benefits to decrease over the next few months. Budget accordingly.

edit: generous was a poor choice of words

topcat4

you are an ass hole for making a comment like that, the man is clearly genuine.

Catalpa

I have debts.

Sorry for your troubles mate - been there done that & got the T shirt in times past on that one!

That is why I have been arguing that the best way for the State to save money on SW is to tackle the Scammers & limit long term payments to Irish & British Citizens only!

CookieMonster

He did mention that he is eating up his savings - which would indicate that he had done so.

There are an awful lot of people in the same situation and there is nothing that can really be done about it. My advice look for a job overseas and leave. You won't be finding one here for quite some time.

Rebus2008

better people to advise around here MABS, reducing expenditure etc. Other avenue to increase income.
Are you involved in sports? Why not take up ref'ing? Not as illogical as it sounds. Revenue not interestedin the cash income - gaa/local soccer always short of refs and money isn't too bad if you can get couple of matches in a row on a saturday.
You'll get the added health benefits, involvemnt for the kids, more contacts for job opportunities((u know the gaa still run this country,don't u) and somthing else to keep you sane. U know the motto - how to eat an elephant - in small pieces

Just a thought, rather than talk on something I wouldn't be 100% on or demeaning your situation, I'd throw a curve ball in.
Best of luck and keep the chin up