• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Irish Examiner lashes Cork FG Gombeenism.

Mushroom

The Irish Examiner's editorial quite rightly lashes the Cork Branch of FF-lite after a crass display of gobsh1tery that also involved giving two fingers to Cork members of the CoI.

"VEC exclusion - Fine Gael get it wrong

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

THERE are 25 members of the Cork Vocational Education Committee but the rawest gombeenism has been used by Fine Gael to advance their party interests and bring an admirable tradition of inclusion to an end.

On Monday Cork county councillors voted to exclude the Church of Ireland nominee from the committee to facilitate the election of Tom Sheahan, a FG failure at the last local elections.

There is a long-standing tradition that two religious nominees are given a place on the committee but Monday’s self-serving and out-of-touch vote by the Fine Gael-dominated council put that aside.

Already Bishop Paul Colton has called for a review of how legislation, designed to protect minority interests in the country VEC structures, was followed in this instance. If it is shown the rules, or their spirit, were not observed, then the vote must be revisited.

Though the country aches for change Fine Gael’s actions repeatedly beg the question – are they up to the job? This vote only strengthens that doubt."

This story appeared in the printed version of the Irish Examiner Wednesday, September 29, 2010

At this point in time, Fine Gael must have run out of feet to shoot itself in.

florin

Of course, why exactly should religious figures get an automatic place on the VEC? What of the many thousands of nonreligious Corkonians?

TonyBird

Sounds fishy , but thats 'local government' for you . If only there was a party that promised to reform it ! Ah well . Perhaps the EU will force us in 2018 or something . God this country is screwed up on so many levels . Its unreal .

Santos

Florin's answer is why I tend to disagree with members of a political party a lot, they're almost like a cult, defending every decision, it's very few party members who will say 'yeah we messed it up there'. I mean, come on, if FG really had a problem with this idea, they could have found someone completely neutral with no public political interest instead of appointing a party hack. This is FG looking after their own.

Fubsss

Hmmm, sounds like FG did make a bit a balls of it but then again I also agree somewhat with Florian. Why should they have places saved for religious figures??

pujols

Hmmm, sounds like FG did make a bit a balls of it but then again I also agree somewhat with Florian. Why should they have places saved for religious figures??
Even if you accept Florian's position, it does not seem as if FG in Cork reached a principled decision to exclude the COI, rather that they decided to get their guy in at whatever cost.

It hardly seems fair to allow them to cover their actions in a cloak of retrospectively rationalised principles!

Bleu Poppy

Of course, why exactly should religious figures get an automatic place on the VEC? What of the many thousands of nonreligious Corkonians?
The legislation establishing the Vocational Education system in the 1920's is seen as the first legislation pertaining to education that allowed for the equal recognition of religions, unlike the primary and secondary schools where there was a strong religious ethos, one way or the other.

Enda, Simon, Bernard, et al, had better start realising that a majority will only come their way when they are clearly seen as being distinctive to, and above the chicanery of, the MaFFia.

Otherwise, there is a distinct chance that I will give my precious vote to another party... perhaps even Sinn Féin, such is my disgust at this sort of tomfoolery which has more potential to cause long-lasting harm than the drunken ramblings of the like of P.J. Sheehan.

cricket

I would prefer to see no involvement of religious in education , but if you have it , minority faiths have to be accommodated. FG acted more like a 1960 to 2000 version of the DUP here. Shame on them a, and even greater shame on Kenny if he does nothing about it.

TonyBird

Shame on them a, and even greater shame on Kenny if he does nothing about it.
Why on earth would Kenny do anything about it ? He done nothing about an anti immigrant ,anti EU mayor in Limerick .

karldaly

@ Bleu Poppy
"Enda, Simon, Bernard, et al, had better start realising that a majority will only come their way when they are clearly seen as being distinctive to, and above the chicanery of, the MaFFia."

There is creeping evidence of late that FG are suffering under the deluded idea that the outcome of the next GE is a foregone conclusion based on the notion that 'its our turn next.'
A few more instances of arrogance like this VEC vote and Boy Are They In For The Surprise Of Their Life.

@ Mushroom
"The Irish Examiner's editorial quite rightly lashes the Cork Branch of FF-lite after a crass display of gobsh1tery that also involved giving two fingers to Cork members of the CoI."

I agree 100%

William D

our capacity to convince members of the CoI etc in the North that we are a tolerant , inclusive society is diminished by these decisions -- FG not F-it for G-overnment ( Nor are FF )

Tomas Mor

If the FG party have any cop on or decency this gombeen should be made resign and position handed to Canon Salter. Is he anything to PJ of Goleen ?

Franzoni

@ Bleu Poppy
"Enda, Simon, Bernard, et al, had better start realising that a majority will only come their way when they are clearly seen as being distinctive to, and above the chicanery of, the MaFFia."

There is creeping evidence of late that FG are suffering under the deluded idea that the outcome of the next GE is a foregone conclusion based on the notion that 'its our turn next.'
A few more instances of arrogance like this VEC vote and Boy Are They In For The Surprise Of Their Life.

@ Mushroom
"The Irish Examiner's editorial quite rightly lashes the Cork Branch of FF-lite after a crass display of gobsh1tery that also involved giving two fingers to Cork members of the CoI."

I agree 100%
yep i agree... i think all the hacks have it wrong ...FF and FG will both get a kicking at the next election they have totally underestimated the public anger at the garbage that both sides continually put out....

Tomas Mor

How different this is to case of William T Cosgrove in Mayo who persisted and appointed a Protestant Librarian, despite the objections of the Catholic Church and DeValera at time, Letitia Harrison was her name. She subsequently gave up the job and moved to Dublin,such was the vehemance of it all.

Clanrickard

Why on earth would Kenny do anything about it ? He done nothing about an anti immigrant ,anti EU mayor in Limerick .
What is he to "do about" people who express their views? If he goes around micro managing FG in every town and village he'll be knackered by the next election. What he should do is reform the VECs and local government but that he seems unwilling to do.

Clanrickard

How different this is to case of William T Cosgrove in Mayo who persisted and appointed a Protestant Librarian, despite the objections of the Catholic Church and DeValera at time, Letitia Harrison was her name. She subsequently gave up the job and moved to Dublin,such was the vehemance of it all.
Back then we had a generation of politicians who genuinely were focused on building a new state for the people however wrong headed they appear now they at least had a streak of honesty and integrity. Now...............

WTTR

Website
www.johnfhiggins.eu
Lack of religious values increases business fraud

Christianity and its associated business ethics are failing in the Western World. Honesty and integrity will be very hard found in the international sphere. Witness the riffling of wealth from retirement investments in the U.S.A; religion has not been thought in its State Schools for the past forty years and only few can afford the huge cost of education in religious schools. Business operates most effectively when the workers have fundamental religious beliefs; no longer do many people have that inner mechanism fear of “eternal damnation”. Now there are many more people and by extension corporations around, whose only restriction is that if they steal enough, they can hire top solicitors to get around man-made laws. Business only operates effectively where you can get workers with strong religious ethics. For this reason, one should be extra careful when doing business in former anti-religious countries. Business needs sound fundamentals, and only a society with a background in religious values can provide this. It is up to the leaders of any society to make sure that the religious community gets all the support it needs; otherwise the whole house of cards come tumbling down! This is the main reason why Mayo and Irish emigrants were so welcomed abroad, they were trustworthy and it was their religious belief to put in a hard day’s work. http://www.politics.ie/justice/138320-justice-croagh-patrick-6.html

Baron von Biffo

If FG are taking a principled stand against reserving places for religious organisations then they deserve praise for this. If it's just a snout in the trough manoeuvre then they've earned any slaps they get.

Tomas Mor

What about the way minorities are treated. If this happened to say, an emigrant representative, there would be an outcry. I suspect FG are just slotting in a defeated candidate as a consolation prize,in the snout in the trough manner.

universidy

Because simply, they are community figures who are intrinsically involved in education at primary and secondary level. Due to amalgamations of various other institutions into Community Schools, there is an expectation that the voices of former trustees would have anchor in the VEC responsible for their upkeep, and ethos.

This was a stupid and crass action by FG. I say that as a member.

Popular Threads

Most Replies