Irish fascist Gearóid Ó Cuinneagáin What did he do later in life?

Fo Real

Gearóid Ó Cuinneagáin (1910 - 1991) was a Belfast born tax clerk working in the Department of Finance in Dublin who resigned from his job when he was refused leave to improve his Irish. He went on to establish Ailtirí na hAiséirghe, a far-right Catholic party, which had some influence for a short time in the 1940s. The party had some crazy goals which included the banning of English spoken in public, the total revival of the Irish language across Ireland, the removal of Jews from Irish society, the rejection of Partition and the installation of a Catholic-based dictatorship. Ailtirí na hAiséirghe promised full employment, an end to emigration by making it a criminal offence to leave the country. The party quickly fizzled out but remained on life support throughout the early 50s and held its last formal meeting in 1958, though the party newspaper, Aiséirghe, continued to appear until the early 1970s.

I can't seem to find any info on what Ó Cuinneagáin got up to after the party was dissolved in 1958. Did he remain active in the shadows of Irish political life? Did the media just forget about him? Did he return to Belfast? How did his neighbours react to him knowing that he was openly fascist? What did he work at afterwards? He lived right up to the 90s when political correctness was beginning to become en vogue. Can't imagine the lefties left him alone knowing his beliefs.

cropbeye

I like those what ever happened to pieces. Read a bit about him years ago

but never heard of what happened to him or any of his colleagues in later years.

cricket

Seem to remember hearing that Seán South was either a member or supporter. Sounds absolutely bonkers.

Fo Real

Can't even find an obituary for him. You'd think the Irish Times would have one about him in their archives considering his place in Irish political history. Apparently he remained a devout fascist till the end and even on his deathbed he believed Ireland would become an autocratic Gaelic-speaking Catholic theocracy.

Edo

sounds like he would have been a permanent and cherished member of P.ie had it been around at the time.........would definitely have fitted in well in recent years anyway.

Edo

Can't even find an obituary for him. You'd think the Irish Times would have one about him in their archives considering his place in Irish political history. Apparently he remained a devout fascist till the end and even on his deathbed he believed Ireland would become an autocratic Gaelic-speaking Catholic theocracy.
well I suppose 2 out of 3 ain't bad as the Meat would say.............

Malcolm Redfellow

Website
redfellow.blogspot.com
Twitter
mredfellow
Belfast-born Gerry Cunningham's Ailtirí na hAiséirghe was a totalitarian off-shoot of the Gaelic League. It claimed ideological descent from Pius XI Ratti's Quadragesimo Anni of 1931.

Special Branch and G2 kept an occasional eye on these nonsenses (though Ernest Blythe allegedly crossed the denominational barrier to get involved in this one). By all accounts Ailtirí na hAiséirghe never mustered more than 3-4 dozen members.

diaspora-mick

Belfast-born Gerry Cunningham's Ailtirí na hAiséirghe was a totalitarian off-shoot of the Gaelic League. It claimed ideological descent from Pius XI Ratti's Quadragesimo Anni of 1931.

Special Branch and G2 kept an occasional eye on these nonsenses (though Ernest Blythe allegedly crossed the denominational barrier to get involved in this one). By all accounts Ailtirí na hAiséirghe never mustered more than 3-4 dozen members.
You never know Redshanks, they might come back into vogue with all this Brexit malarky ... petunia

Lúidín

Can't imagine the lefties left him alone knowing his beliefs.
Lefties know who their real enemies are and they are not the crackpots with pictures of Adolf Hitler on the mantlepiece.

GDPR

Seem to remember hearing that Seán South was either a member or supporter. Sounds absolutely bonkers.
No he wasn't a member, he was though a reader of their newspaper Aiseiri which outlasted them and was quite brilliant.

bokuden

Levellers

Most re-joined Fine Gael after their openly fascist project failed and continued with a subterfuge plot instead.

McTell

Twitter
No
OP

//

Ailtirí na hAiséirghe, a far-right Catholic party, which had some influence for a short time in the 1940s. The party had some crazy goals which included the banning of English spoken in public, the total revival of the Irish language across Ireland, the removal of Jews from Irish society, the rejection of Partition and the installation of a Catholic-based dictatorship. Ailtirí na hAiséirghe promised full employment, an end to emigration by making it a criminal offence to leave the country. ///.

Bonkers, but not the first time.

Our 1919-22 republic also banned emigration, unless you got permission.

Dáil Éireann - 06/Aug/1920 MINISTERIAL MOTIONS. - PROHIBITION OF EMIGRATION.

THE SECRETARY FOR HOME AFFAIRS moved and E.J. DUGGAN (Meath S.) seconded:
“That the Ministry Proclamation of the 24th July, 1920, prohibiting Emigration from Ireland be confirmed as a Decree of the Dail.”
The terms of the Decree are:
“WHEREAS it has come to our knowledge that a number of men of Military age and other Citizens of the Republic are leaving Ireland.
[207]“AND WHEREAS Ireland cannot spare any of her children at the present juncture.
“NOW IT IS HEREBY DECREED THAT after the date of this Proclamation no Citizens of the Irish Republic shall be permitted to leave Ireland for the purpose of settling abroad unless with the written sanction of the Government of the Republic.
“Applications for Permits must be made to the Secretary of State for Home Affairs. Each application must set out:—
(1) Name of Applicant.
(2) His or her address.
(3) Place of birth.
(4) Date of birth.
(5) Date of proposed departure.
(6) Country of destination.
(7) Proposed period of absence.
(8) Reasons for emigrating.
“Every application must be authenticated by a Justice and the Registrar of the District Court for the District in which the applicant resides.
“Applications by soldiers of the I.R.A. should set out particulars of their companies, battalions, and brigades, and should be authenticated and recommended by the Brigade Commandant in each case. ....

Fo Real

I never did get an answer to my original question but I recently came across this fascinating documentary about Gearóid Ó Cuinneagáin featuring his children and wife. Interesting to hear his offspring come to terms with their father's legacy and recant tales from their childhood. It's in Irish but your Leaving Cert Irish should get you the gist of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX8IfFap-5M

troll account

I never did get an answer to my original question but I recently came across this fascinating documentary about Gearóid Ó Cuinneagáin featuring his children and wife. Interesting to hear his offspring come to terms with their father's legacy and recant tales from their childhood. It's in Irish but your Leaving Cert Irish should get you the gist of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX8IfFap-5M
are you a fascist yourself?

McTell

Twitter
No

Thanks be he doesn't have a place in irish history. Just another case of aspergers from belfast, must be something in the water?

redneck

I don't know a lot about Mr O Cuinneagan, but I have sympathy for his love of An Gaeilge and the Irish state.
I would expect the Communist's on this site would have a lot of problems with him.

New Threads

Most Replies