• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Irish Firefighters banned from St. Patrick's Day Parade -Savannah, Georgia.

timhorgan

It looks like Irish firefighters will not be "Marching through Georgia" this St. Patrick's Day.

They have been banned by the organisers in Savannah due to their drunken behaviour in previous years. This can only be to the good and hopefully it is the first step in the fightback by decent Irish people to have our National Holiday celebrated as a family occasion with decency and decorum.

Shock as firefighters banned from Savannah St. Patrick

I suppose it would be too much to ask that those from Ireland who have been banned in the US parade could be identified and also prevented from marching anywhere in Ireland.

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Shock-as-firefighters-banned-from-Savannah-St-Patricks-Day-parade--195234891.html

Congratulations -Savannah!

Last edited:

ruserious

FDNY....Did you even read the piece?

Niall996

I wonder when the next fire comes along will the good people of Savannah and 'decent' people generally such as our very decent Tim Horgan decline to call upon these very same firefighters to come out and save their decent lives. Maybe a blacklist of firefighters who enjoy a drink might serve the public well.

ShoutingIsLeadership

I wonder when the next fire comes along will the good people of Savannah and 'decent' people generally such as our very decent Tim Horgan decline to call upon these very same firefighters to come out and save their decent lives. Maybe a blacklist of firefighters who enjoy a drink might serve the public well.
Using the word blacklist when referring to Georgia, probably isn't ideal :)

Aindriu

Niall, no-one is denying the bravery of our fire fighters but that does not give them an excuse to act the maggot in a foreign country where they are supposed to be acting as ambassadors for their profession.

timhorgan

FDNY....Did you even read the piece?
Yes - it says " firemen from New York and Ireland"

In a shock move, hundreds of firefighters including firemen from New York and Ireland have been barred from the Savannah, Georgia parade because of repeated drinking violations.

Niall996

Niall, no-one is denying the bravery of our fire fighters but that does not give them an excuse to act the maggot in a foreign country where they are supposed to be acting as ambassadors for their profession.
The article is about all American firemen. It refers to a group that represents US firemen. Irish firemen are invited to participate. It is not an article about Irish Firemen going over and getting hammered in front of a bewlidered American audience of decent people ruining the nations reputation as Tim Hrogan protrays it by deliberately and cynically misnaming the thread title.

amsterdemmetje

Thats just typical of you to leave out half the facts of the article.
Have a read of this.

bob3344

I suppose it would be too much to ask that those from Ireland who have been banned in the US parade could be identified and also prevented from marching anywhere in Ireland.
Get a grip.

The group which marches under the banner “Our Nation’s Firefighters” and has units from all over received a letter from the Saint Patrick’s Parade Committee banning them from the parade because of repeated violations of the no alcohol policy.
Article doesn't say anything about drunken louts, just that some guys breached the no alcohol policy on Paddys Day.

Paddys day ffs.

“It's not that we want to limit anybody having fun,” said Sheehan. But if you want to have fun and drink alcohol do it outside of the parade route. Do it where there's no possibility that you're going to harm somebody ‘cause ...... you're marching in the line and that you're going to hurt somebody in the parade.”
lunatics.

Campion

The article is about all American firemen. It refers to a group that represents US firemen. Irish firemen are invited to participate. It is not an article about Irish Firemen going over and getting hammered in front of a bewlidered American audience of decent people ruining the nations reputation as Tim Hrogan protrays it by deliberately and cynically misnaming the thread title.
First its Des Bishop and now its Savannah. Why won't these Yanks leave us alone for to enjoy our pattern and faction fights?

timhorgan

"Enjoying a drink" does not give anybody the right to impose drunken and loutish behaviour on the rest of us -and it does not matter what uniform they wear. I have no intention to be held to ransom by a bunch of plastic Paddies who have in recent years disgraced our National Day in far too many locations.

Just watch how the parades have been hijacked by Guinness who dish out cheap tat merchandising material which is gladly worn by dumb-ass "Oirish" who like you know, shure, like you know enjoy getting pished 'cos, like you know, we are loveable Oirish, like you know.

Everyone knows that, don't they?

optics

Banned, not even for being drunk but for breaching a no-alcohol policy? Why on earth don't they just get tough with those who are drunk besides punishing everyone?

bob3344

"Enjoying a drink" does not give anybody the right to impose drunken and loutish behaviour on the rest of us -and it does not matter what uniform they wear. I have no intention to be held to ransom by a bunch of plastic Paddies who have in recent years disgraced our National Day in far too many locations.

Just watch how the parades have been hijacked by Guinness who dish out cheap tat merchandising material which is gladly worn by dumb-ass "Oirish" who like you know, shure, like you know enjoy getting pished 'cos, like you know, we are loveable Oirish, like you know.

Paddys day is what it is. You want cucumber sandwiches & polite conversation, go to the opera.

Expose the lot of them

It looks like Irish firefighters will not be "Marching through Georgia" this St. Patrick's Day.

They have been banned by the organisers in Savannah due to their drunken behaviour in previous years. This can only be to the good and hopefully it is the first step in the fightback by decent Irish people to have our National Holiday celebrated as a family occasion with decency and decorum.

Congratulations -Savannah!
I suppose it would be too much to ask to actually read the article and watch and listen to the video clip.

Time for this to be consigned to the Zoo where it belongs.

The Preacher

Have to say I'm coming around to this point of view myself. Enjoying a few social drinks is one thing, behaving like a mob of knackers using the "ah sure aren't we great for havin' de craic" excuse is another thing.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies