Irish General Election 2020 - Candidates, Polls, Predictions and Results

brughahaha

I don’t think too many voted to give Jarry a mandate, yet, there he was above in the thick of it yesterday. When people see that they may well think again.
You , Voltaire, Redmonite and Biffo should set up a straw clutching club ...you are all world class at it

james toney

The people that voted for change and had enough of the FG/FF coalition can't wait for Micheal Martin to put Fine Gael,Simon Harris and Eoghan Murphy,Charlie Flanagan back into government.
The onus is on Martin to destroy FF once and for all.....the vast majority hope he succeeds.

talkingshop

Stephen Donnelly:

“For decades SF has roared abuse at FF, FG, Lab & Greens about how terrible these parties were, and how everything would work if only SF led government. With 87 seats available, they’ve given up after just two days.”

Baron von Biffo

Watching Prime Time last night , as FF and FG insisted there were other options (when there simply arent if they wont talk to SF) ....was like listening to a newly married couple insisting there'd be no sex on the honeymoon.

If anything FFs and FGs shenanigans are only going to infuriate the electorate even more with snails paced government formation and prevarication ....

Its the only show in town so FF and FGshould appoint a moderator (Lab or Greens) and sh!t or get off the pot
It interesting that you SF supporters see every twist and turn as an ill omen for FF and FG.

I wonder if you think there's anything that has happened or could happen which would be against SFs interests?

talkingshop

FF made a grave tactical error in my opinion by ruling out talks with SF yesterday.

Had they begun talks but rejected SF proposals such as the unconstitutional rent freeze and dismantling the tax base then they'd have the high ground in the next GE when the talks failed.

The more SF members banged on about 'we won the election' and Mary Lou must be Taoiseach', the more FF would be able to depict them as arrogant.

By excluding SF they've painted themselves into a corner. Now all that's on the table is FF/FG or a new GE.

I genuinely can't see FF/FG coming about so I think we're heading for a GE. And it's a GE that as of now will be pretty much a re-run of last Saturday.
I think FF, FG and others will come about. There’s no other option. And, while it’s risky for FF, it’s less risky than going in with SF imo.

Look at it this way - SF are dying to get into government with FF: if SF think that’s the best thing for them, it’s hardly going to be in FF’s interests.

Baron von Biffo

Itsalaugh

He received an anonymous tip off that he'd sworn an oath of allegiance to the Queen to get his NZ citizenship. So shocked was he to discover that he's now a hysterical loyalist, swivel eyed, window licking, toxic loon that he had to split with himself.

Now he watches himself like a hawk and at the first hint that he's about to post a West Brit screed he turns off his computer and sings himself to sleep with alternating choruses of 'Come out ye black and tans' and 'God save the queen'.
That sounds like a projection of the dichotomony devouring the last residues of patriotism within the sleeveen FF milieu. Neo-partionism won't end well for them. Our confident, patriotic youth striding the globe detest the doff capping obsequiuousness the over 60s paid to the english while at same time hating themselves for being so pathetic. Our young honour Ireland's pariotic heroes, knowledge of which is onky a YT video away and party with the shire children as equals. Eoghan Harris the guru for Martin is really nothing but one of the Tudor's court fools transplanted here who can't beleive for 4 decades he was given a captive audience, the section 31 generations, to inform them that maturity meant grovelling to the apron strings of Mother England and acknowledging Pearse and co as traitorous thrash, rolling out the red carpet for Ian Paisley at RTE etc.

No more. FG performing admirabably during the Brexit negotiatuons should have detected the sea change here, but they're the progeny of blinkered Redmondites, however whats the excuses for you FFers. You let yourselves be brainswashed, and the only corrective remedy for your self-hatred is to do Ireland a favour and diseappear.

james toney

Fianna Fail leader Micheal Martin has ruled out a “grand coalition” with Fine Gael....saying Fine Gael should not be in government.

Ok,Ok...it's the corrupt Fianna Fail...and Martin has seen plenty of it from Haughey,Ahern,Cowen and himself.
But surely his word is already worthless and his credibility Zero.
Is it a medical condition he has regarding his lies and constant shift of positions?

glandore

It was the People Before Profit (as per article) - an offshoot?

Micheal Martin ought to be outsted as Leader of FF. He belongs in the paleolithic period along with Leo Varadkar. They need a leader who demonstrates good will and acts in good faith.
But he is acting in good faith. He said before the election that FF would not enter Gov with Sinn Fein. He is only seeing through what he promised his voters. Sinn Fein are only playing games and have no interest in forming a Gov with FF or FG. They will just blame everyone else. They could not give a toss about people on trolleys or the homeless.

Cailleach

I think FF, FG and others will come about. There’s no other option. And, while it’s risky for FF, it’s less risky than going in with SF imo.

Look at it this way - SF are dying to get into government with FF: if SF think that’s the best thing for them, it’s hardly going to be in FF’s interests.
Why should I give two flying fcuks for FF's interests ...

Baron von Biffo

Well there is the option of another GE.

A deal may be sub-optimal for each party and still be better than no deal.

My own view is that FF should have engaged in talks with SF but stood firm on rejecting the madder parts of the SF manifesto.

That would have seen them contesting the GE as the party that mad a fair effort to govern while SF would be the intransigent ones who failed to do a deal despite two attempts.

Baron von Biffo

That sounds like a projection of the dichotomony devouring the last residues of patriotism within the sleeveen FF milieu. Neo-partionism won't end well for them. Our confident, patriotic youth striding the globe detest the doff capping obsequiuousness the over 60s paid to the english while at same time hating themselves for being so pathetic. Our young honour Ireland's pariotic heroes, knowledge of which is onky a YT video away and party with the shire children as equals. Eoghan Harris the guru for Martin is really nothing but one of the Tudor's court fools transplanted here who can't beleive for 4 decades he was given a captive audience, the section 31 generations, to inform them that maturity meant grovelling to the apron strings of Mother England and acknowledging Pearse and co as traitorous thrash, rolling out the red carpet for Ian Paisley at RTE etc.

No more. FG performing admirabably during the Brexit negotiatuons should have detected the sea change here, but they're the progeny of blinkered Redmondites, however whats the excuses for you FFers. You let yourselves be brainswashed, and the only corrective remedy for your self-hatred is to do Ireland a favour and diseappear.
Happy Valentine's day. 😘

talkingshop

Well there is the option of another GE.

A deal may be sub-optimal for each party and still be better than no deal.

My own view is that FF should have engaged in talks with SF but stood firm on rejecting the madder parts of the SF manifesto.

That would have seen them contesting the GE as the party that mad a fair effort to govern while SF would be the intransigent ones who failed to do a deal despite two attempts.
I don’t think that would have worked - SF would have compromised on the madder parts of their manifesto.

Top Bottom