Irish General Election 2020 - Candidates, Polls, Predictions and Results

brughahaha

You don't think for instance, that the 'up the Ra' stuff or the revelation about the new SF TD with €12k rent arrears for a social house will have any negative effect at all?
you were saying the same about a 12 year old issue highlighted by the media before the election ,....how did that pan out

Yet despite McDonald spouting nonsense about SF winning 'the popular vote', 75% of first preferences were cast for candidates other than SF.
To accuse others of failing to understand our system and then spout this nonsesne is priceless

MLM won the popular vote by getting the most first preferences .....getting more than any other leader ....it wasnt a 2 horse race , the other 75% didnt vote against SF ...they voted for others ...and none of them mustered the support MLM did
She won the most votes and was most popular ...despite you saying after her every media appearance that it had been a disaster that would lose SF votes

If you're waiting for the first entirely left wing government you'll be waiting a while.

Labour's in a mess, the SDs only exist because Shortall and Murphy couldn't work with Labour and the alphabets struggle to work with themselves.

And on top of all that, it's those Left seats that SF will be targeting if they're to become the largest party.
The Sds exist because they couldn't stomach your beloved parties corruption under james Reilly ...we've been here before and you've been proven to be a complete liar on the subject ...half driven by your terror/hatred of the left half driven by your misogyny

As for a government of the left .....could be here very soon, in fact could have been here now if SF had fielded more candidates ...

And this despite me saying even before the GE was called that I'd love to see a few elections in quick succession.

When did you say that? when your precious FG were on 19% ...hoping for political turmoil so FG might get a chance at resurrection ...as you now fervently hope for a SF/FF coalition as you think it gives FG a chance to improve

Your hatred for SF is palpable ......your terror of change hilarious ...your political ignorance breathtaking ..... and your attempts to write pro FG narratives ...utterly priceless

Baron von Biffo

It may not have been in the gift of the last government, but that is because they didn't have the numbers to impose their will.
If FFG get the numbers for a majority, they will decide who to vote for as CC, and it will be a threeline whip.
It's not possible to enforce the whip on a secret ballot.

On the other hand, I have serious difficulties with my representative taking part in secret votes. I for one want to know how my rep. has voted so that I can evaluate his actions at the next election. Who he or she votes in as CC should be part of that.
Also a secret vote on one matter can be extended to other matters, which is incredibly dangerous.
I agree absolutely.

Any vote a TD casts in that chamber is cast on our behalf, not their own.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Because it's utterly irrelevant.

The question reveals a flawed understanding of our system.

Each TD only has those votes which make up their quota (or part of a quota in some cases). The party or parties that can command the most votes in the Dail govern. That has always been the case.
It is not irrelevant when somebody claims that the other 76% didn't vote for SF.

And it doesn't display any misunderstanding. I did not say that it was wrong or illegal or anything of the sort, I am fully aware that the numbers dictate everything.

Hewson

We don't know what preferences the 76% might have given SF.

Has there ever been an occasion in Irish history where the party which got the most votes has been excluded from government?

This is how democracy works. If Sinn Fein can form a government then neither FF nor FG can stop them. It's all about numbers. There's now a strong left wing presence in the Dail so if SF have the powers of persuasion and a sensible range of achievable objectives to work towards (without tanking the economy) then they should be able to get the numbers to form a coalition.

There's no moral imperative on either of the two big parties to spoon feed SF into government. Why would they? Neither has much in common with them.

My own guess is a FF/FG coalition or minority government with Green support. SF seem to have been bitten by the same entitlement-to-govern bug that has long afflicted the two centrist parties.

Life's tough. Politics is tougher, and that's another lesson awaiting the newcomers.

Barroso

It's not possible to enforce the whip on a secret ballot.
Theoretically, you are right - but imagine that FFGLab decided that their members should all vote for Mr/Ms X as CC, and then they fail to get the numbers. Do you imagine that there wouldn't be an inquiry and a witch hunt to find out who had disobeyed?

Mickeymac

When did you say that? when your precious FG were on 19% ...hoping for political turmoil so FG might get a chance at resurrection ...as you now fervently hope for a SF/FF coalition as you think it gives FG a chance to improve

Your hatred for SF is palpable ......your terror of change hilarious ...your political ignorance breathtaking ..... and your attempts to write pro FG narratives ...utterly priceless

Priceless indeed sir and the added bonus for such electioneering by him and his toxic pals in the media..........is more surge of votes for SF.

bang bang

That is correct - they won' the most first preference votes. They did not however win a majority of votes or a majority of seats. As such they are not in the position to govern without a coalition, and it is entirely possible a coalition is formed without them.
True, but the arrogance of FFG in saying they will talk to all parties except SF is pissing a lot of people off, and not just SF voters.

Talk Back

This is how democracy works. If Sinn Fein can form a government then neither FF nor FG can stop them. It's all about numbers. There's now a strong left wing presence in the Dail so if SF have the powers of persuasion and a sensible range of achievable objectives to work towards (without tanking the economy) then they should be able to get the numbers to form a coalition.

There's no moral imperative on either of the two big parties to spoon feed SF into government. Why would they? Neither has much in common with them.

My own guess is a FF/FG coalition or minority government with Green support. SF seem to have been bitten by the same entitlement-to-govern bug that has long afflicted the two centrist parties.

Life's tough. Politics is tougher, and that's another lesson awaiting the newcomers.
What "newcomers" would they be???

Sinn Fein won the 1918 election and formed the real Dail Eireann (there were only ever 3 elections to Dail Eireann 1918/21/22) in 1919.

Last edited:

Hewson

What "newcomers" would they be???

Sinn Fein won the 1918 election and formed the real Dail Eireann (they were only 3 elected Dail Eireann) in 1919.

I was referring to Provisional Sinn Fein, as you know.

Talk Back

I was referring to Provisional Sinn Fein, as you know.
The Sinn Fein that won the recent 'Southern Ireland' State election are a direct line to the Sinn Fein that won the 1918 election in Ireland.

Sinn Fein didn't die when members left to form Cumann na nGaedheal and Fianna Fail.

Cumann na nGaedheal and Fianna Fail left Sinn Fein - but Sinn Fein kept going and even ran for election north and south, even though back in the day, they had no intention of sitting in either partition Houses of Commons.

Hewson

The Sinn Fein that won the recent 'Southern Ireland' State election are a direct line to the Sinn Fein that won the 1918 election in Ireland.

Yes, they are. But like most political parties they undergo periods of change, often transforming into something at variance to their core principles.

Killing protestant workmen on their way home from work isn't something I would have associated with the SF of 1919.

Talk Back

Yes, they are. But like most political parties they undergo periods of change, often transforming into something at variance to their core principles.

Killing protestant workmen on their way home from work isn't something I would have associated with the SF of 1919.
Only because you are ignorant of Irish history - plenty of protestants were killed by members of Sinn Fein during the 1919/21 period of Ireland's ongoing war of independence.

Some of those Sinn Fein members later left Sinn Fein and joined Cumann na nGaedheal and Fianna Fail - and some of them were Ministers in the English King's dominion Free State.

bang bang

"the stardust vigil , people who were denied justice love sinn féin and no other party "
- Eamon Dunphy
Feb 13, 2020

that's the same Eamon Dunphy who went to a paedophiles house and gave him a present after he got caught
Here BB, if you pm me I'll give you the number of a friend of mine, who's an excellent counsellor.

Hewson

Only because you are ignorant of Irish history - plenty of protestants were killed by members of Sinn Fein during the 1919/21 period of Ireland's ongoing war of independence.

Some of those Sinn Fein members later left Sinn Fein and joined Cumann na nGaedheal and Fianna Fail - and some of them were Ministers in the English King's dominion Free State.

My grasp of Irish history is healthy enough. I used the Kingsmill massacre as an example of the protracted campaign of sectarian murder the Provos engaged in. I'm still trying to square the circle of their logic in a quest for a united Ireland through murdering the very people they wanted to persuade.

SF is a party with two faces busy trying to persuade the electorate that there's really only one.

Not buying it. Not yet.

bang bang

Well said TB, but I imagine you're wasting your time.

Talk Back

My grasp of Irish history is healthy enough. I used the Kingsmill massacre as an example of the protracted campaign of sectarian murder the Provos engaged in. I'm still trying to square the circle of their logic in a quest for a united Ireland through murdering the very people they wanted to persuade.

SF is a party with two faces busy trying to persuade the electorate that there's really only one.

Not buying it. Not yet.
Same as it always was then - why be a hypocrite about it???

Fine Gael and Fianna Fail members had plenty of blood on their hands.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies