Irish General Election 2020 - Candidates, Polls, Predictions and Results

Baron von Biffo

you know Biffo - I couldn't have put it any better myself.
& why did Martin make this "grave tactical error " ?
in a word Biffo - Shinnerphobia
Martin is an intelligent guy & an experienced politician, but he's inflicted with acute Shinnerphobia,
& he has that much in common with your good self & several more of our cáirde here on P.ie.

my guess is that we wont have another GE immediately _ FG & FF will swallow their pride & cobble something together.
'twont be easy for the blue shirted ones either - supporting the Party that they've been telling us for the past nine years, that bankrupted the state.

I reckon that SF are in a good position.
they will be happy to be leading the opposition in the Dáil to a FF/FG bag of cats.
on the other hand - they have the least to fear from another election
His comments in the immediate aftermath of the results left the door open to talks with SF. It looks as if he couldn't bring the parliamentary party with him.

Baron von Biffo

Not a good look, if the circumstances are she stated and we've no reason to disbelieve her, I would have sympathy with the families situation. Saying that, she probably should make a donation to a homeless charity of her choice.
Hers would be a good result to watch if we have a quick election. It may be that voters who actually pay their rent and pay their mortgages will view her differently as a result of the revelations.

seanof

His comments in the immediate aftermath of the results left the door open to talks with SF. It looks as if he couldn't bring the parliamentary party with him.
Of course he couldn't. Because Martin is a sh1te leader. Unfortunately for FF, there's no obvious adept replacement.

Fullforward

When the next election is called the Fianna Fail candidates will not be attacking Sinn Féin, they will be too busy fighting their colleagues. I've just glanced through the results and so far I notice the Niamh Smyth, Sean Haughey, Charlie McConalogue, Aindrias Moynihan, Michael McGrath, James O'Connor, Jim O'Callaghan, Paul McAuliffe, John Lahart, Cormac Devlin, Anne Rabbitte, Norma Foley, James Lawless, Sean Fleming, Robert Troy, Thomas Byrne and Jackie Cahill.

That's ALMOST 50% of their TD's taking the last seat! They also had several other TD's taking the second last seats. Fianna Fail are Donald Ducked!

Fullforward

'Get Brexit done' was at least a solid, measurable aspiration. 'Change' is nebulous and amorphous. It means different, perhaps mutually exclusive, things to different voters.
And Brexit (Fine Gaels darling) managed to get the attention of 1% of the voters.

mangaire2

Yep. Since I was a child in the 1970's I've been hearing the Irish left (including SF) bleating on about the need for a proper left/right divide in Irish politics. Well, they have it now. There are by my reckoning at least 70 TD's either avowedly or vaguely of the left while FF/FG have 73 (or 72 if the current CC is reelected), and while most of the other 15 or so are FF/FG gene poolers, they're unlikely to want a return trip to the polls any time soon.

My understanding of the SF strategy was that they would try to negotiate an arrangement with at least some or the other left groups and then present FF with a 'take it or leave it' option on forming a coalition with the left with MLMD as Taoiseach. Instead their united left option didn't even last to the weekend, and they now seem to have pinned all their hopes on FF, the object of years of their vitriol and contempt.

Neither FF nor FG are under any obligation to put SF into power. To argue otherwise is to suggest that the votes of the 24% who voted SF are in some way more worthy that those of the 43% who voted FF and FG or the remaining 25% who voted for none of the above. Presumably SF would hope to increase their seats to 50 or so in a new election, but if they did they would still require the support of at least 30 other TD's, presumably by cultivating some left-wing allies, or do they still want to court a rump FF or FG under such circumstances?
"Yep. Since I was a child in the 1970's I've been hearing the Irish left (including SF) bleating on about the need for a proper left/right divide in Irish politics.

you did in your arse.
you may have heard Labour & they went in with the Blueshirts at very opportunity.
you certainly did not hear SF - for one thing due to Section 31 censorship until 1993,
& of course SF had no TDs in the '70s.
a number of Hunger Strikers were elected in1980, but you sure didn't hear them "bleating on about the need for a proper left/right divide in Irish politics"
it was not until 1997 that Caoimhghín Ó Caoláin was elected as the sole SF TD.

stop telling porkies here on P.ie.

wombat

'Get Brexit done' was at least a solid, measurable aspiration. 'Change' is nebulous and amorphous. It means different, perhaps mutually exclusive, things to different voters.
The only point of agreement was to remove the last govt. Even FG supporters didn't want a continuation of that shambles where FG were in office but not in power. Its pretty obvious that FG have a different approach to the role of govt to the other parties in that they admit that they are a conservative party whereas the rest of them believe that they are on the "left" (whatever that means)

ShoutingIsLeadership

I always express a preference for every candidate on the paper. That doesn't mean my No.14 for Stanley last week was indicative of support for SF.

This is the sort of confusion that slips in when we go away from the only valid of party support - seats won - and try to elevate spin into something of genuine significance.
If you put them as number 2 it would indicate you relative comfort with them governing. Which is why saying that 76% did not vote for them is wrong.

That's my sole point

wombat

And Brexit (Fine Gaels darling) managed to get the attention of 1% of the voters.
Sure it did but if it goes the way it looks like going, it will get the attention of 90% at year's end.

wombat

Orbit v2

"Get change done" is what we need then..

.. and when something changes, it will have been achieved.

Baron von Biffo

Of course he couldn't. Because Martin is a sh1te leader. Unfortunately for FF, there's no obvious adept replacement.
That's not a fair assessment. He took an utterly defeated party and made it the largest party in the Dail over the course of two terms.

Although it hasn't been appreciated by the voters, the C&S deal was principled and statesmanlike.

I think history will be kinder to him than the electorate were on Saturday.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies