Irish General Election 2020 - Candidates, Polls, Predictions and Results

mangaire2

His comments in the immediate aftermath of the results left the door open to talks with SF. It looks as if he couldn't bring the parliamentary party with him.
indeed, Martin did appear to soften his stance re SF "in the immediate aftermath of the results"
& a number of FF TDs, such as Jim O'Callaghan, Michael McGrath, Thomas Byrne, who were nowhere as hard as Martin on the SF issue before the election, came out harder than him after the lection.
the reason for the hardening of their position, as Martin appeared to soften his ?.

IMO the TDs in question gave assurances in the course of the campaign, to any shinnerphobic potential voters, that FF would not enter into any arrangement with SF, in line with what Martin was proclaiming on a daily basis,
& they knew that the voters in question would'nt buy a second had car from them, not to mind voting for them ever again, if the reneged on their quarantine re SF.

as I said previously Biffo, shinnerphobia was Martin's undoing,
& you should remember that too.

shiel

"Get change done" is what we need then..

.. and when something changes, it will have been achieved.
What change?

We elected a lot of big spenders.

Big spending already bankrupted the country in the most spectacular way less than a decade ago.

Also the Dail is still nearly eighty per cent male.

No change there either.

Orbit v2

Interesting that O Cuiv is a significant figure within FF, to the rest of us, not so much :)
One thing that has changed is that having two separate centrist parties, keeping each other honest... up to a point, is a luxury that is becoming harder to justify.

Maybe, they do have a future as separate entities, but they definitely won't be able to avoid governing together, and the sooner these 'significant people' come to terms with it the better.

seanof

That's not a fair assessment. He took an utterly defeated party and made it the largest party in the Dail over the course of two terms.

Although it hasn't been appreciated by the voters, the C&S deal was principled and statesmanlike.

I think history will be kinder to him than the electorate were on Saturday.
Traditional / tribal FF support was going to return to FF after a period of forgiveness, regardless of who was leader. It's no tribute to Martin. I doubt that he has inspired even one new voter to support FF.

RelentlessApathy!

I'm sure someone has posted the following already but it's worth reading again. Probably the most truth we've seen about the state of FF since the election:
‘Significant people’ in Fianna Fáil oppose Fine Gael deal, says Ó Cuív
There's an interesting idea buried in the article, mention of an ard-fheis meaning the vote could go to the membership. Which leaves another question, would FF rules allow a counter motion i.e. SF/FF?

It's a potential wildcard if possible.

RelentlessApathy!

Traditional / tribal FF support was going to return to FF after a period of forgiveness, regardless of who was leader. It's no tribute to Martin. I doubt that he has inspired even one new voter to support FF.
The fatal flaw of ogra FF/FG is that not a single member ever seems to be outside lifer families. I'd bet they even get more non-national members than young Irish joining.

shiel

That's not a fair assessment. He took an utterly defeated party and made it the largest party in the Dail over the course of two terms.

Although it hasn't been appreciated by the voters, the C&S deal was principled and statesmanlike.

I think history will be kinder to him than the electorate were on Saturday.
The Irish media supported him and his colleagues when they were bankrupting the country in the pre-2010 period.

The media then supported and are still supporting him and his colleagues when they were blaming everyone else for the consequences in health, housing etc of him and his colleagues bankrupting the country.

The ultimate in hypocrisy was him and his colleagues introducing water charges in the 2009 budget and then opposing them later.

Not a word of criticism from the Irish media for that exercise in hypocrisy.

mangaire2

I always express a preference for every candidate on the paper. That doesn't mean my No.14 for Stanley last week was indicative of support for SF.
as there were 15 candidates on your ballot paper, your " No.14 for Stanley last week" was indicative of your shinnerphobia,
& totally predictable to anyone familiar with your comments here on P.ie.

seanof

I always express a preference for every candidate on the paper. That doesn't mean my No.14 for Stanley last week was indicative of support for SF.

This is the sort of confusion that slips in when we go away from the only valid of party support - seats won - and try to elevate spin into something of genuine significance.
A preference vote potentially counts. If you don't wish to support them, then don't vote for them! Leave them out.

Last edited:

Cdebru

A preference vote potentially counts. If you don't wish to support them, don't vote for them!
I voted all the way down except for the national party, on the basis that I would rather a FF or FG TD than a knuckle dragger, but that in no way means I want FF or FG in government unless the only other option is the national party or some other loon like gemtrails,
The only votes we know for certain are first preferences and like it or lump it over 75% preferred another party than SF, and 44% preferred either FF or FG, and irrespective of any of that who gets to be Taoiseach is who ever can win the vote in LH.

mangaire2

The only votes we know for certain are first preferences and like it or lump it over 75% preferred another party than SF, and 44% preferred either FF or FG, and irrespective of any of that who gets to be Taoiseach is who ever can win the vote in LH.
the stark reality is that more voters "preferred" SF than any other party,
& that was a sensational result.

MsDaisyC

I voted all the way down except for the national party, on the basis that I would rather a FF or FG TD than a knuckle dragger, but that in no way means I want FF or FG in government unless the only other option is the national party or some other loon like gemtrails,
That means 78% preferred another party than FF and 79% voted against FG. Hardly an endorsement of either party.

seanof

Did anyone of whatever persuasion or none ever think they would see the day when FF/FG/ Labour together would not be able to form a govenment?
i first voted in a general election in 1973 and I never thought that I would ever witness it.
It's developing exactly as I hoped but more slowly.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies