• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Irish Gov employees go commercial....

Beaker

I was interested to read that deputy Irish Data Protection Commissioner, Gary Davis is going to take up a position with Apple as Head of privacy in Europe Davis leaving data protection post to take up Apple job - The Irish Times - Fri, Jan 25, 2013

It's an interesting appointment! I don't know, is Mr Davies one of the leading experts on data protection accross all of Europe?

or

was it more important that he previously worked at the Data protection office in Ireland, which incidentally has responsibility for data protection, and upholding privacy laws for all of EU over tech companies who are headquartered in Ireland (FaceBook, Yahoo etc)..........

Additionally, it's interesting to read also that former NTMA employees are apparently jumping ship to join Irish Banks NTMA to review policy on staff who join banks - The Irish Times - Fri, Jan 25, 2013

Does this type of migration pose any difficulties for the longterm integrity of our regulatory and gov agencies? ......... staff recruitment and retention.......

firefly123

He won't last five minutes in the real world! Apparently.
I wonder what sort of paycut he took?

ShoutingIsLeadership

Did it myself. It gets to the point where money and the opportunity to be recognised for the work one does, is too hard to resist.

Sister Mercedes

I was interested to read that deputy Irish Data Protection Commissioner, Gary Davis is going to take up a position with Apple as Head of privacy in Europe Davis leaving data protection post to take up Apple job - The Irish Times - Fri, Jan 25, 2013

It's an interesting appointment! I don't know, is Mr Davies one of the leading experts on data protection accross all of Europe?

or

was it more important that he previously worked at the Data protection office in Ireland, which incidentally has responsibility for data protection, and upholding privacy laws for all of EU over tech companies who are headquartered in Ireland (FaceBook, Yahoo etc)..........

Additionally, it's interesting to read also that former NTMA employees are apparently jumping ship to join Irish Banks NTMA to review policy on staff who join banks - The Irish Times - Fri, Jan 25, 2013

Does this type of migration pose any difficulties for the longterm integrity of our regulatory and gov agencies? ......... staff recruitment and retention.......
Regulator takes up job with company he was Regulating?

Prester Jim

I don't claim anything; I couldn't give a toss what you think about my work life.
I, for one, salute the fact that you have the guts to say what you do despite the bile incurred.
Many others just snipe from the sidelines and either run from personal admissions or lie to suit the occasion.
:D

ShoutingIsLeadership

I, for one, salute the fact that you have the guts to say what you do despite the
bile incurred.
Many others just snipe from the sidelines and either run from personal admissions or lie to suit the occasion.
:D
:)

A brain-drain will take place in the public sector over the next few years.

Don't expect the likes of Elderfield and others to hang around. Certain parts of the PS have become no more than nurseries for private sector jobs.

Ribeye

He won't last five minutes in the real world! Apparently.
I wonder what sort of paycut he took?
In case you're getting worried, I noted your sarcasm:)

Now, back to the revolving door of corruption,

Mr. Bumble

If you're using an Apple, he already knows where you live. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

firefly123

Paycut????????

Not many people jump ship for a paycut.....
But?...But?... He's leaving the public sector and going to the private sector! It's a very well known 'fact' that there is 49%/25%/30%/whatever your havin yourself guvnor pay gap in favour of the PS.

cabledude

Was there no clause in his contract to barr his from taking up positions that may conflict with his role as Data Commissioner. Surely this role would be a conflict of interest. My boss insists on a five year non compete clause for any of us that hold and level of industrial knowledge relevant to our company.

Sister Mercedes

Was there no clause in his contract to barr his from taking up positions that may conflict with his role as Data Commissioner. Surely this role would be a conflict of interest. My boss insists on a five year non compete clause for any of us that hold and level of industrial knowledge relevant to our company.
A five-year non-compete clause for an employee would never stand up in court.

Beaker

Spot on!

I would have thought that such a non compete clause would be mandatory in such sensitive regulatory positions..... Ditto with the NTMA.....

cabledude

@ Sister Mercedes:

If I sign a contract, I stick to it.

I work in a small enough industry. If I jumped ship and walked out of a non compete, I would never work in the industry again. I would be bled of my knowledge and dumped.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Paying the going rate is the best non-compete clause.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies