• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Irish Gov ministers use of Twitter

Disillusioned democrat

Up to two years ago there was widespread ridicule of Donald Trump's use of Twitter...until he won the US Presidential election.

Over the past 6 - 9 months I've noticed our own ministers increasing turn to Twitter to let us know how hard they're working, what important people they're meeting and what deep insights they've developed.

Many are just bizarre - Simon Harris TD on Twitter: - here Harris tries to re-kindle the adulation he got for single handedly :roll: bringing abortion to Ireland and inferring that OpEd pieces in the newspapers were somehow to blame for his department not getting the legislation passed.

Others are just pure fuel on the fire stuff - any self-aggrandizing drivel Eoghan Murphy posts on Twitter gets derided by hundreds of openly hostile twitter users with real feedback.

Varadkar seems oblivious to peoples' genuine problems across health, justice, housing and the environment as he continually tells us what a great place Ireland is to live and how fabulous he is at his job.

I don't know if the twitter thing is a vestige of the il-fated SCU strategy or a personal choice, but I can't for the life of me think it's actually creating a positive momentum in their ongoing @campaignforme - what does anyone else think of our leaders' Twitter obsession?

Florence

Maybe I'm getting prematurely old even though my 30th birthday is not that long ago, but I find Ministers and 'lesser' politicians 'informing' us by Twitter insulting. It tells me something about them that I do not like.

I do have a Twitter account - it was never very active. I'm thinking of cancelling it and don't think this would break the hearts of my almost 200 followers!

Disillusioned democrat

I was somewhat heartened listening to Callan's Kicks over the weekend that it wasn't just me noticing how Harris has no plans, just a re-loop on Twitter back to the repeal referendum every week or so.

Dame_Enda

I don't mind although I still wont vote FG. It helps in particular to communicate with younger voters.

statsman

Politicians adapt to the brave new world of social media, shock horror.

statsman

Up to two years ago there was widespread ridicule of Donald Trump's use of Twitter...until he won the US Presidential election.

Over the past 6 - 9 months I've noticed our own ministers increasing turn to Twitter to let us know how hard they're working, what important people they're meeting and what deep insights they've developed.

Many are just bizarre - Simon Harris TD on Twitter: - here Harris tries to re-kindle the adulation he got for single handedly :roll: bringing abortion to Ireland and inferring that OpEd pieces in the newspapers were somehow to blame for his department not getting the legislation passed.

Others are just pure fuel on the fire stuff - any self-aggrandizing drivel Eoghan Murphy posts on Twitter gets derided by hundreds of openly hostile twitter users with real feedback.

Varadkar seems oblivious to peoples' genuine problems across health, justice, housing and the environment as he continually tells us what a great place Ireland is to live and how fabulous he is at his job.

I don't know if the twitter thing is a vestige of the il-fated SCU strategy or a personal choice, but I can't for the life of me think it's actually creating a positive momentum in their ongoing @campaignforme - what does anyone else think of our leaders' Twitter obsession?
It isn't Trump's using Twitter that makes people despair, it's the tripe he tweets.

Disillusioned democrat

It isn't Trump's using Twitter that makes people despair, it's the tripe he tweets.
IMHO the content of our own politicians' Tweets aren't exactly inspirational either.

Varadkar's are predictably self-aggrandising "Here's me up early, here's me meeting more important people than me", "Here's a roll of bloopers to show how totes hillaire I am"

Then there's Harris, all reminding us about the abortion referendum and how it's the most important health service of all.

statsman

IMHO the content of our own politicians' Tweets aren't exactly inspirational either.

Varadkar's are predictably self-aggrandising "Here's me up early, here's me meeting more important people than me", "Here's a roll of bloopers to show how totes hillaire I am"

Then there's Harris, all reminding us about the abortion referendum and how it's the most important health service of all.
At least none of ours hade declared a trade war with China on twitter or attacked officers of the law, for that matter.

hollandia

I don't think it's anything more sinister than just another method of politicians getting "their message out". And that message will invariably be "look at how great I am and vote for me next time." It's not limited to Govt Ministers (most govt ministers, in most countries have a twitter account), but practically all senior politicians (and no mean number of local pols as well), and content ranges from the factual, self promotion and the outright bizarre (I'm looking at you here, Gerry Adams...)

It's the nature of the game, so I wouldn't read to much into it. What it does however (and very much a positive) is let politicians know when they are out of line - witness the visceral response to Simon Harris' tweet on the passing of Emma Mhic Mhathuna over the weekend.

[TWEET]1048914214763601920[/TWEET]

artfoley56

to be honest id have much greater issue with use of departmental twitter as a politician propaganda tool. the civil service is supposed to be apolitical and therefore should the departmental twitter should be used for imparting information to citizens about their services etc, rather than putting photo ops for those in power.