Irish Government to appoint CIO to manage 21st-century nation

DCon

The Irish Government is finally going to appoint a digital tsar to manage the Irish public sector’s use of IT, existing e-government infrastructure and national digital assets, it emerged today.

Speaking at the launch of Imagine’s WiMax technology, which will bring speeds of 8Mbps and higher from base stations 8km away and which will cover 90pc of the country by 2012, Taoiseach Brian Cowen TD said his Government will appoint a Chief Information Officer (CIO).

“The Government have made a commitment in our renewed programme that we will appoint a Chief Information Officer. This CIO will provide leadership for the development of information and communications technology and other relevant technologies within and outside Government.
Cowen said the CIO will advise the Government on how to take a proactive, leading role in championing ICT innovation and development externally, as part of building a Smart Economy.

“The CIO will assist public-sector modernisation by driving changes to government business processes and implementing improvements in how government communicates with its citizens through ICT. And the CIO will take a cross-departmental and agency-leadership role in driving the e-government programme. This is a further expression of this Government’s commitment to the development of innovative ICT technology in Ireland."

Cowen confirmed the Government will commit to ensuring that 100Mbps broadband will roll out to all second-level schools in Ireland.
SiliconRepublic.com: Irish Government to appoint CIO to manage 21st-century nation - CIO

nonpartyboy

Another useless overpaid position,each dept will do what it likes, just like it always has done.

johnb

Any idea if they are going to appoint a CEO anytime soon. This country seems to be operating on auto pilot for the last 12 months...no signs of any leadership whatsoever.

jmcc

Probably be another quangoite gobsh*te with no credibility or clue.

Regards...jmcc

Squib

How do I apply?

Sounds like a great job! It will involve jetting around the world to IT conferences at the tax payers expense. When in Ireland I can sit in my plush Quango office playing playstation. once a year to justify my position I will write a waffle paper with a liberal use of the words broadband and innovation.

Fusilier

Potentially an excellent move if done correctly, it'll be interesting to see who gets appointed.

Knowing this government though, it'll just be an excuse for ministers to talk more crap about the "knowledge economy", and give some Fianna Fail loyalist a nice opportunity for junkets.

DCon

Potentially an excellent move if done correctly, it'll be interesting to see who gets appointed.

Knowing this government though, it'll just be an excuse for ministers to talk more crap about the "knowledge economy", and give some Fianna Fail loyalist a nice opportunity for junkets.
this Fianna Fail loyalist might be interested in the travel opportunities

Victor Meldrew

How do I apply?

Sounds like a great job! It will involve jetting around the world to IT conferences at the tax payers expense. When in Ireland I can sit in my plush Quango office playing playstation. once a year to justify my position I will write a waffle paper with a liberal use of the words broadband and innovation.
You'll also get a bonus for having a weird beard and never wearing a suit.

And for communicating completely in acronyms ...

Pure Green Party window dressing..... Is this request the "jump the shark" moment?

ergo2

Don't forget to use words like "sustainable" and "over-arching"

GreenMeanie

FF really wanted to appoint a Chief Propaganda Officer. The yellow party convinced them that information and propaganda were synonymous.

Skrynesaver

Will go to a party hack

My suspicion is that this will go to a FF party hack probably one with ties to Microsoft thereby ensuring that our public sector becomes the last in Europe to adopt Open Source technologies with the attendant savings.

Mutter...mutter...Eircom selloff ...mutter...mutter...MIT Europe ...mutter...mutter... Digital hub ...mutter...mutter... WorldCom...

I trust FF with IT like I'd trust John O'Donoghue's expense returns

oneuse

CIO recruitment

(Hope it's okay to resurrect this thread)

I just noticed that the Govt are now really recruiting a CIO - Chief Information Officer for the Irish Government is now listed on the publicjobs website.

Seems like a good idea, although I'd say there will be some raised eyebrows that they seem to be allowing for the CIO to negotiate away the CP2 increment freeze.

I see the reference to CMOD. Is this just a rebranding of the head of CMOD job?

LamportsEdge

Ha ha ... will the office of the Chief Information Officer be subject to the Freedom of Information Act?

My bet is that someone by the name of John Fitzgerald will be appointed. There's a tribe of John Fitzgeralds somewhere in Connemara that are raised to be appointed to quangos.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies