• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Irish government to pay immigrants to go home

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/ireland

Irish government to pay immigrants to go home | World news | The Observer

Why are we paying them? Most are here illegally!

teapot

Well, it sounds very nice - but keeping in mind the success rate of such schemes here, could it end up with someone (Irish or otherwise) making money out of it; people getting a free trip home + cash, then coming back here with forged papers, etc., etc., The people to whom this is being 'offered' are a good deal more worldy than our officials.

Truth.ie

A good idea. Should only be paid to non E.U citizens currently entitled to or on benefits.
I know other countries are doing this and its been succesful. Once claimed you forfeit the right to return for at least 2 years.

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
Wish somebody would pay for me to get the hell outta here.
They need people to stay and be enslaved by scama and the welfare/public sector scam.

toughbutfair

I welcomed the immigrants here when times were good. Now they should be forced to leave unless they have skills that Irish people cannot provide. The Irish unemployed then fill the jobs and crises solved.

I wish we could just ship the 100,000 Irish unemployed too lazy to work in the boom off to Australia too.

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
I welcomed the immigrants here when times were good. Now they should be forced to leave unless they have skills that Irish people cannot provide. The Irish unemployed then fill the jobs and crises solved.

I wish we could just ship the 100,000 Irish unemployed too lazy to work in the boom off to Australia too.
They are not too lazy. They are making a rational decision which is why work when you can get 205 quid a week + rent allowance + medical card. Like you, our managers(certainly not leaders) in government want the unemployed to feck off to OZ.

Fing Fers

I never understood why those people flee their countries to come here? It must be because of our SW system. It makes perfect sense to use the money to go towards making their own country a better place, fleeing the country does nothing to improve the situation there. The majority abuse our system and the ones who really require help cant even leave their country.

Now we are in a situation where, we will be paying for the stragglers, the ones who fight to stay via the courts etc and we'll also be paying into these community's.

I am fed up with this government, they are going to cut SW to "incentive" people back into work when there is no stinking jobs, we our own citizens are being absolutely abused by our Government, no extra funding is going towards the unemployed, cut backs in all areas from FAS to SW that's what we get but they make extra funding available for immigrants.

If they controlled the immigrant situation in the first place we they wouldn't be worried about excessive immigrants .

Can our Government do one single thing that's right? They screw up absolutely everything and we pay them more than any other Government World wide. Its madness.

Fing Fers

"The grants will not be given to individuals but rather the scheme will operate through projects and organisations," she added.

Cant believe what I am reading, by the sounds of it money is going to be given to community or even businesses to fund them, probably to have the immigrants here return to their home country and return to work etc. Its like saying we'll pay you to work in your own country.

bormotello

If they controlled the immigrant situation in the first place we they wouldn't be worried about excessive immigrants .
If they controlled the immigrant situation then property bublle would burst in 2005
FF didn't have any other choice to extend prosperity and win next election

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
This is most welcome but then again, it underlines the hypocrisy of FF in condemning similar proposals from Leo Varadkar some months back. One thing I find surprising though is where the article claims the CSO says 18% of the population are foreign-nationals while Dr Bryan Fanning of TCD says it's closer to 20%. I have never heard the CSO come out with such figures. If true then it underlines how far immigration in this country has gone out of control as we surrender control of our borders in the name of failed PC-ideology like 'multiculturalism' and vested-interests. The property-bubble was in no small part due to a calculated policy of encouraging mass-immigration in order to pump up property and rental prices for the benefit of the friends of FF.

I wonder how it could be 20% though. The 2006 Census said that around 3.79 million people were Irish citizens. The April 2009 estimates for the total population in the State were around 4.5 million. That means an increase in the population by 700,000. But the recent CSO QNHS estimated the foreign national population in the workforce over the age of 15 at approximately 500,000 - 11% of the population. Something isn't adding up here. I think the 20% is only likely to make sense if you include illegals - mostly Chinese 'students' who went underground after entering the State. Excluding illegals, I estimate around 15% of the population are foreign-nationals.

It seems clear to me that the Observer is lazily using the figures from the proportion of the workforce that are foreign nationals - most likely based on a story from the Irish Times for 7th November.
Irish Times 07/11/09 said:
The incidence of foreign nationals returning home was not a dominant factor in last month’s fall in the Live Register, according to a detailed breakdown of the figures published yesterday.The figures reveal that, in percentage terms, as many Irish nationals left the register in October as foreign nationals.
The unadjusted Live Register declined to 412,407 in October from 419,854 in September, a monthly decrease of 7,447 (-1.8 per cent). It was the first fall in unemployment benefit claimants in 2½ years.
The figures reveal a similar percentage drop among Irish and foreign nationals. In October, there were 336,103 Irish nationals and 76,304 foreign nationals on the Live Register. This is a monthly drop of 6,008 (-1.8 per cent) in Irish nationals and a decline of 1,439 (-1.9 per cent) in foreign nationals. Among foreign nationals, the largest number signing on were nationals from EU accession states (41,663).
People from outside the Republic comprised 18.5 per cent of all persons on the Register in October 2009. In the year to last month, Irish nationals on the Live Register increased by 129,810, while the annual increase for non-Irish nationals was 31,917.
The number of people signing on the Live Register fell across all regions. In geographical terms, the biggest percentage fall during October came in the west region (-3.3 per cent), while the smallest percentage decrease was in the southeast and southwest regions (-0.6 per cent). By county, the largest fall was in Galway (-6.1 per cent). The number of males and females claiming benefits dropped across the State last month.
In the year to October 2009, the unadjusted figure for those signing on rose 161,727 (+64.5 per cent). All regions showed annual increases with the largest percentage increase in the mideast region and the smallest rise in the midwest region...

Last edited:

nonpartyboy

If they controlled the immigrant situation then property bublle would burst in 2005
FF didn't have any other choice to extend prosperity and win next election
Indeed,check my sig............ff nation destroyers

Sean O'Brian

What's to stop immigrants from taking the money, going home and then returning to Ireland again? That's what happened in Germany after they paid immigrants to go home. If we don't have proper border security then our country is just like a giant airport for anyone to come and go as they like.

Fing Fers

FF rob good honest Irish citizens of their lively hoods and turn them into racists.

Its very hard not to be racist in Ireland when you see the difference in comparison of Government treatment towards born Irish citizens and asylum seekers/refugees.

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
What's to stop immigrants from taking the money, going home and then returning to Ireland again? That's what happened in Germany after they paid immigrants to go home. If we don't have proper border security then our country is just like a giant airport for anyone to come and go as they like.
Well, this will only apply to non-EU citizens so they won't have an automatic right to return here. As you would know had you read the article in full. :rolleyes:

Sean O'Brian

Well, this will only apply to non-EU citizens so they won't have an automatic right to return here. As you would know had you read the article in full.
I did read the article in full. I also mentioned border security in my comment because I was asking what is to stop immigrants from *physically* returning here whether they have a right to or not. It's like if I kick you out of my house and then I leave the door wide open and decide to go for an early night. What's to stop you from coming back into my house without my permission? Germany had paid non-EU citizens (Turks mostly) to go home and AFAIK did not give them to permission to return, which they did.

Last edited:

Digout

They need people to stay and be enslaved by scama and the welfare/public sector scam.
The can fluck off, I'm off to Amsterdam at the beginning of next month to check out some office space etc, had enough of this place. Some cash from FF to help we leave would be ideal.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies