• Before posting anything about COVID-19, READ THIS FIRST! COVID-19 and Misinformation (UPDATED)
    Misinformation and/or conspiracy theories about this topic, even if intended as humor, will not be tolerated!

jmcc

Must admit that when I read that O'Broin's book was considered a best seller that I wondered how many books are actually sold. I bought one of McWilliams' books once and I'd never someone else's opinion again.
This seems accurate.

james toney

Who's surprised...apart from those lemmings in the Green Party?

"They're sitting the last few weeks voting for shit they don't want to vote for," one party source said.

ringobrodgar

I'm astonished that there are 19 independents currently elected in your parliament in Holyrood there are precisely 0. Last time we had independents was because they left the SNP over its NATO policy

RelentlessApathy!

I'm astonished that there are 19 independents currently elected in your parliament in Holyrood there are precisely 0. Last time we had independents was because they left the SNP over its NATO policy
Two key reasons for that in Ireland, most independents usually come from a previous party background meaning they have name recognition, and secondly proportional representation means smaller parties and independents can stay in the race long enough to fight for the last seats. I know Scotland has ranked choice voting for party lists, but it's probably not the same as PR in terms of leveraging smaller candidates/parties.

ringobrodgar

Two key reasons for that in Ireland, most independents usually come from a previous party background meaning they have name recognition, and secondly proportional representation means smaller parties and independents can stay in the race long enough to fight for the last seats. I know Scotland has ranked choice voting for party lists, but it's probably not the same as PR in terms of leveraging smaller candidates/parties.
there are 73 constituencies and 56 additional members but you need to get more than 5% to get a seat on the list and in most cases it more like 6 to 7%

james toney

'Senators receive expenses for period when Seanad was closed'

Senators have been awarded expenses for April and May of this year, despite the fact the Seanad was closed at the time.

€240,000 was divided among 48 senators, averaging around €4,000 each.

Sittings were delayed for 90 days after the general election in March due to the Covid-19 crisis and until a new Taoiseach was elected.

Expose the lot of them

Senators have been awarded expenses for April and May of this year, despite the fact the Seanad was closed at the time.

Sittings were delayed for 90 days after the general election in March due to the Covid-19 crisis and until a new Taoiseach was elected.
Disappointment money.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Just goes to show that expenses allowances are clearly regarded as a perk still instead of a method of reimbursing someone for genuine expenses. The expenses in this case around travel to Dublin etc basically didn't happen.

This is quarter of a million euros just handed out without documented evidence of expense spend. Only in a parliament could you get something like this justified that wouldn't last a second as a proposal in any commercial concern.

james toney

shiel

We had a chance to get rid of the Seanad but the Irish media cheer led its retention.

shiel

james toney

The Irish tax system is relatively good at taxing the rich.

Those on low incomes pay low or no income tax.
I understand why you don't get the reality that the poor, elderly,and those in poverty will suffer from these coalition policies.

shiel

I understand why you don't get the reality that the poor, elderly,and those in poverty will suffer from these coalition policies.

The following is the reality on the Irish taxation system according to wikipedia with the references given.

'Within Ireland's taxation system, the most distinctive element is the ratio of net Personal Income taxes on higher earners versus lower earners, which is called progressivity.

In 2016, the OECD ranked Irish personal taxation as the 2nd most progressive tax system in the OECD, with the top 10% of earners paying 60% of taxes.[8][9][10]

The 2018 OCED Taxing Wages study showed Irish average single and average married wage-earnershttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxation_in_the_Republic_of_Ireland#cite_note-status-12 paid some of the lowest effective employment tax rates in the OECD, with Irish average married wage-earners paying an employee tax rate of 1.2%.[11][12]'

james toney

Thanks for confirming that you feel it won't be punishing the poor,elderley,or vulnerable.
The opposite is clearly the case.....try reading the article again....maybe you will realise that is indeed punishing those people.

shiel

Thanks for confirming that you feel it won't be punishing the poor,elderley,or vulnerable.
The opposite is clearly the case.....try reading the article again....maybe you will realise that is indeed punishing those people.
Are you not willing to accept the official figures?

shiel

Nope its a mixture of half truths, and lies, massaging the figures, misleading and deflection of the real issues.
That is brain dead shite.

The OECD figures are the among the most reliable figures in the world.

What are your alternatives?

Quote your sources.

james toney

Are you not willing to accept the official figures?
Is this your deluded excuse for those vulnerable in society won't be punished by banning 2 for 1 meals and putting levies on cheap and second hand clothes?

Fcuking hell...I thought the other deranged FG trolls hbap, marcos and co were bad.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom