Irish Govt ensure only expensive low heat Polish coal is available.

The Field Marshal

Finding it hard to heat your house with an open fire ?

Thank successive highly restrictive policies from Irish government that ensures only expensive low sulphur low heat Polish coal is available in the 26 counties.

The people in NI wont have to freeze because they can still purchase decent quality coal there

I am in the fortunate position of having an open fire in my house and this winter will be traveling to NI with my trailor to fill up with decent heat producing coal.

For anybody else interested here are some links

The same distributor on the link below Hayes Fuels is not allowed sell the high heat producing coal Black Diamond in the ROI

In NI higher heat coal is still available:
Coal Products for sale in Northern Ireland - Hayes Fuels
Low quality low heat Polish coal only:
Coal Products for sale in the Republic of Ireland - Hayes Fuels

british versus polish coal - Google Search
The Polish Bituminous Coal-Mining Industry

The quality of Polish bituminous coals is generally high, though somewhat inferior to that of British or Westphalian coals. The Saddle group, which is mainly ...

New ban to fully extinguish traditional coal fires - National News - Independent.ie

Last edited:

TiredOfBeingTired

Have you tried Morgan Fuels?

Tea Party Patriot

An another example of eco-policy introduced by FF and the Greens gone mad.

Cato

We installed stoves into our two open fires and they are far more efficient than an open fire. On that score (they are not, in fairness, as visually appealing) I would recommend them to anyone.

asset test

Ah yes, God be with the days when a quarter ton of Black Diamond coal was the ultimate warmer in our house! Then the ban came in and to be honest, even getting the smokeless coal to LIGHT up was a pain in the YKW. So reluctantly, having tried turf briquettes (burned far too quickly) we got a coal effect gas fire. It gives out feck all heat really, but looks nice without the cleaning. I am a philistine, I know.

Anyhow, it looks like the ban on smoky coal is going to be spread countrywide. The diesel launderers will have another option aswell so! Import from NI and sell on the QT. Just like the cigarettes.

Jeez the Government is only facilitating black market activity at this stage of the game.

Unfortunately, for us, going to NI to stock up on Black Diamond coal was never an option unfortunately. And that will be the case for many.

The Field Marshal

Have you tried Morgan Fuels?
No.
Where are they located?

It depends where the coal is sourced.
Polish coal has a lower sulphuor content than British coal and thats why it burns at a considerably lower temperature.

Can Morgan Fuels sell coal other than the rubbish from Poland?

ocoonassa

I burn the byproduct of dead Iraqis to heat my home but hope to switch soon to the byproduct of dead Libyans as they need less refining. Feck this corporatist regime though all the same, they'll be saying we can't cut our own turf next.

The Field Marshal

We installed stoves into our two open fires and they are far more efficient than an open fire. On that score (they are not, in fairness, as visually appealing) I would recommend them to anyone.
Such stoves can be a far greater fire hazard and also greater burn hazard to young children.
I agree they are efficient.

An open fire in a fireplace is a very traditional and delightful source of comfort on a cold winters night.

That Irish governments are preventing people from accessing good quality coal to heat such fires properly is a disgrace.

The Polish coal that is available is expensive and its virtually all rubbish having only a slightly greater heat output than briquettes.

Munnkeyman

Finding it hard to heat your house with an open fire ?

Thank successive highly restricitve policies from Irish government that ensures only expensive low sulphur low heat Polish coal is available in the 26 counties.

The people in NI wont have to freeze because they can still purchase decent quality coal there

I am in the fortunate position of having an open fire in my house and this winter will be traveling to NI with my trailor to fill up with decent heat producing coal.

For anybody else interested here are some links

The same distributor on the link below Hayes Fuels is not allowed sell the high heat producing coal Black Diamond in the ROI

In NI higher heat coal is still available:
Coal Products for sale in Northern Ireland - Hayes Fuels
Low quality low heat Polish coal only:
Coal Products for sale in the Republic of Ireland - Hayes Fuels

british versus polish coal - Google Search
The Polish Bituminous Coal-Mining Industry

The quality of Polish bituminous coals is generally high, though somewhat inferior to that of British or Westphalian coals. The Saddle group, which is mainly ...

New ban to fully extinguish traditional coal fires - National News - Independent.ie
What? Can you not buy it somewhere else? Black Diamond coal is the biggest selling brand in Ireland
It's sold by Bord na Móna Fuels. They sell Grade A anthracite.

former wesleyan

* cough * Thatcher *cough* Mines closed.

Clanrickard

As someone who sells coal I can tell you the OP is a load of rubbish. For a start Bord na Mona sell Black Diamond and it is widely available all you do is ring the company. Secondly Polish goal is superior to any other European coal. It burns slowly but gives off good heat. Also widely sold is poor quality Scottish coal which is almost dust and hi flame but quick burning Colombian coal. The OP is another piss poor effort to rant and whinge and get a swipe at the greens.

The Field Marshal

As someone who sells coal I can tell you the OP is a load of rubbish. For a start Bord na Mona sell Black Diamond and it is widely available all you do is ring the company. Secondly Polish goal is superior to any other European coal. It burns slowly but gives off good heat. Also widely sold is poor quality Scottish coal which is almost dust and hi flame but quick burning Colombian coal. The OP is another piss poor effort to rant and whinge and get a swipe at the greens.
Well you would say all that since you depend for a living on selling Polish muck.

Since you claim to be knowledgeable about coal please answer the following.

1] The Black Diamond coal from BNM where is it sourced?
2] On the links I posted the sulphour content is limited by the Irish govt
3] On the link I posted certain Black Diamond products in NI are not allowed to be sold here.
Can you explain why?

Most people I know can remeber when high heat coal was widely available.
The coal sold in the ROI over the past 10 years or so does not generally have the equivalent heat output.
Several posters on this thread support that contention.
Are they all wrong?

Clanrickard

Well you would say all that since you depend for a living on selling Polish muck.

Since you claim to be knowledgeable about coal please answer the following.

1] The Black Diamond coal from BNM where is it sourced?
2] On the links I posted the sulphour content is limited by the Irish govt
3] On the link I posted certain Black Diamond products in NI are not allowed to be sold here.
Can you explain why?

Most people I know can remeber when high heat coal was widely available.
The coal sold in the ROI over the past 10 years or so does not generally have the same heat output.
Several posters on this thread support that contention.
Are they all wrong?
The heat you get from coal is higher the slower it burns not the faster. The fast burning stuff they sell in NI has a great flame but burns quickly and gives off sulphour which is poisonous. Polish coal burns slower and gives off more heat. The Greens, rightly tried to restrict cheap coal because of the health consequences. Drop a lump of Polish a limp of the cheap stuff and see which breaks and into how many pieces. Polish is denser hence the fact it has a higher quality and price.

For the record BNM coal has to meet the same criteria as any other coal sold here in Ireland. It is not the country it is the emissions that decide whether you can sell it or not. Black Diamond is Polish but may be also Ukrainian or Colombian depending on supply.

Franzoni

Yep i think i will be putting one in shortly as well...heard great things about them off a few people i know that have them.....

Franzoni

No.
Where are they located?

It depends where the coal is sourced.
Polish coal has a lower sulphuor content than British coal and thats why it burns at a considerably lower temperature.

Can Morgan Fuels sell coal other than the rubbish from Poland?
Ask Sean for directions but he probably can't remember.......

ShoutingIsLeadership

Am I correct in thinking these are hot to touch and require a fireguard?

The Field Marshal

The heat you get from coal is higher the slower it burns not the faster. The fast burning stuff they sell in NI has a great flame but burns quickly and gives off sulphour which is poisonous. Polish coal burns slower and gives off more heat. The Greens, rightly tried to restrict cheap coal because of the health consequences. Drop a lump of Polish a limp of the cheap stuff and see which breaks and into how many pieces. Polish is denser hence the fact it has a higher quality and price.

For the record BNM coal has to meet the same criteria as any other coal sold here in Ireland. It is not the country it is the emissions that decide whether you can sell it or not. Black Diamond is Polish but may be also Ukrainian or Colombian depending on supply.
Im discussing the exothermic chemical reaction of burning coal.
The speed at which it burns is a separate matter.

The greater the sulphuor the higher the temperature.
British coal has a much greater sulphur content than Polish coal and thats why it is hotter.

The emissions are the problem and the Irish govt by introducing highly restrictive emission levels have effectively banned the sale of high heat coal.

Such coal continues to be available in NI and I recommend everybody to stock from there for the winter.

The Field Marshal

Am I correct in thinking these are hot to touch and require a fireguard?
They become extremely hot and are a real hazerd to small kids unless completly surrounded by a huge space consuming firegard.

The junction at the wall where the stove pipe from these devices exits often deteriorates over time so there is an element of higher maintenance attached to them.

All this is a bit off topic since you can burn anything you like in these devices.

The Field Marshal

Ask Sean for directions but he probably can't remember.......
Sean?

Who or what the F are you talking about?

Someone posted a link to a crowd called Morgan Fuels inferring they sold Black diamond or non Polish coal.

When asked to elaborate your coming out with this.

Are you a WUM?

Watcher2

Friends of mine installed a cast iron stove in their sitting room. It gives off tremendous heat. They received it from a family member who upgraded to a larger one so I dont know how much they are but guesses were about €1500. They then bought a fan which is powered by the heat of the stove and this blows heat into another room and keeps that warm too.

Its brilliant.

And there is sweet FA ash too so extremely efficient.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies