Irish Govt ensure only expensive low heat Polish coal is available.

The Field Marshal

The online University of Guatamala?

And this is where you learned you knowledge of coal so adeptly displayed at the beginning of this thread?
Presumably you mean "anomalies"?

This was the finding of your research? Or something you copied and pasted off the internet?
Indeed, sounds like serious findings of serious research.

My hole.
Its quite clear you know nothing at all about science.

I accept your spelling correction re "anomalies" thank you.

CookieMonster

Its quite clear you know nothing at all about science.
It's quite clear you know nothing about coal:

As someone who sells coal I can tell you the OP is a load of rubbish. For a start Bord na Mona sell Black Diamond and it is widely available all you do is ring the company. Secondly Polish goal is superior to any other European coal. It burns slowly but gives off good heat. Also widely sold is poor quality Scottish coal which is almost dust and hi flame but quick burning Colombian coal. The OP is another piss poor effort to rant and whinge and get a swipe at the greens.

Well you would say all that since you depend for a living on selling Polish muck.

Since you claim to be knowledgeable about coal please answer the following.

1] The Black Diamond coal from BNM where is it sourced?
2] On the links I posted the sulphour content is limited by the Irish govt
3] On the link I posted certain Black Diamond products in NI are not allowed to be sold here.
Can you explain why?

Most people I know can remeber when high heat coal was widely available.
The coal sold in the ROI over the past 10 years or so does not generally have the equivalent heat output.
Several posters on this thread support that contention.
Are they all wrong?
The heat you get from coal is higher the slower it burns not the faster. The fast burning stuff they sell in NI has a great flame but burns quickly and gives off sulphour which is poisonous. Polish coal burns slower and gives off more heat. The Greens, rightly tried to restrict cheap coal because of the health consequences. Drop a lump of Polish a limp of the cheap stuff and see which breaks and into how many pieces. Polish is denser hence the fact it has a higher quality and price.

For the record BNM coal has to meet the same criteria as any other coal sold here in Ireland. It is not the country it is the emissions that decide whether you can sell it or not. Black Diamond is Polish but may be also Ukrainian or Colombian depending on supply.
Im discussing the exothermic chemical reaction of burning coal.
The speed at which it burns is a separate matter.

The greater the sulphuor the higher the temperature.
British coal has a much greater sulphur content than Polish coal and thats why it is hotter.

The emissions are the problem and the Irish govt by introducing highly restrictive emission levels have effectively banned the sale of high heat coal.

Such coal continues to be available in NI and I recommend everybody to stock from there for the winter.
Born na Mona are a rip off company selling sub standard fuel products.

I recently purchased a heap of crap from them called FireMagic "the faster way to a fuller fire everywhere" 3euros and 99 cent for just 4 largish fire lighters which are supposed to set your fire ablaze.

Worthless and a complete swindle.
Do not every buy that product.

I also bought the crap they called Black Diamond and it is not the genuine article of about 10 years ago.

BNM are a government company and are implementing the low heat coal policies of Irish governments.

They are not to be trusted and have a virtual monopoly on the Irish solid fuels market.
That you think Polish coal is marginally hotter than Briquettes shows you are talking out your posterior. Also if you want a "delightful source of comfort" then you pay more for the privilege of emitting poisonous gases into the atmosphere. There are more environmentaly friendly ways of heating.

And burns quicker thus using up your coal quicker.. That is why high sulphur coal is used in coal burning stations as it burns quicker. Polish coal burns slower and for longer and you get more bang for your buck. There is a reason why it is the biggest selling type of coal in Ireland. Applying your logic we should have more chemicals in coal as this would make it hotter. Also there is an EU directive coming up which will further reduce the amount of sulphur on coal lessening your delight but ensuring we breath cleaner air.

You are a paranoid nutter.

I accept your spelling correction re "anomalies" thank you.
They didn't teach you to spell in your magic made up science school?

The Field Marshal

It's quite clear you know nothing about coal

Are you ok?

You realise that you are collecting the statements of other posters as some sort of rebuttal?

They didn't teach you to spell in your magic made up science school?
No I graduated university but spelling was not one of the subjects.

It usually is not .

Perhaps you were not aware of that.

CookieMonster

Are you ok?

You realise that you are collecting the statements of other posters as some sort of rebuttal?
You claimed some sort of scientific superiority, when in fact you got owned by another poster about coal.

No I graduated university but spelling was not one of the subjects.
Clearly not.

It usually is not .

Perhaps you were not aware of that.
Well, yes it is. A PI would take an RA to task, and rightly so, for submission of work with glaring spelling errors.

The Field Marshal

You claimed some sort of scientific superiority, when in fact you got owned by another poster about coal.
Clearly not.
Well, yes it is. A PI would take an RA to task, and rightly so, for submission of work with glaring spelling errors.

I don,t claim scientific superiority.

My scientific training simply enables me to see the serious flaws and error,s in the anthropomorphic global warming argument and its associated govt driven carbon taxes fraud.

ocianain

People burning peat or coal are not a threat to world civilization; people who think people burning peat and coal are a threat to world civilization are the threat. They represent a movement away from science and truth, and a movement towards the actualization of will, of desire, over reality.

Wanna help the environment and live in Europe? Address storm water runoff in cities and towns. Don't build wind farms (wind is a free forward variable, the only outcome of a feed forward variable is a dependent outcome). Since you can't control the wind, you can't control the energy output from the wind. It's dependent on the characteristics of the wind. Because of this fact wind will never be a reliable source of electricity; it must be therefore backed up with fossil fuel generation. Regardless of the wind blowing, people need electricity.

So we have a problem, demand is relatively constant, while the wind is variable, it "stops." Backup generation must come on line to meet the decreased supply. This generation capacity must be able to satisfy sudden and abrupt changes in demand/supply. It must be almost like a light switch On/Off, this precludes efficiency. Which minimizes pollution, so by default quick start, low efficiency/high pollution back up generation is needed.

Thus, Green energy pollutes.

The Field Marshal

People burning peat or coal are not a threat to world civilization; people who think people burning peat and coal are a threat to world civilization are the threat. They represent a movement away from science and truth, and a movement towards the actualization of will, of desire, over reality.
Unfortunately this is true.
Objective science has been corrupted and abused for nefarious political ends

Wanna help the environment and live in Europe? Address storm water runoff in cities and towns. Don't build wind farms (wind is a free forward variable, the only outcome of a feed forward variable is a dependent outcome). Since you can't control the wind, you can't control the energy output from the wind. It's dependent on the characteristics of the wind. Because of this fact wind will never be a reliable source of electricity; it must be therefore backed up with fossil fuel generation. Regardless of the wind blowing, people need electricity.
There is no single easy solution to world energy demand.
One hour of the suns energy hitting earth properly directed would meet all human needs for 1 year.

So we have a problem, demand is relatively constant, while the wind is variable, it "stops." Backup generation must come on line to meet the decreased supply. This generation capacity must be able to satisfy sudden and abrupt changes in demand/supply. It must be almost like a light switch On/Off, this precludes efficiency. Which minimizes pollution, so by default quick start, low efficiency/high pollution back up generation is needed.

Thus, Green energy pollutes.
A distinction must be made between pollution which is undesireable and contamination which is inevitable and associated with all energy producing systems.

Sadly the normal and sustainable contamination associated with most human activities has been morphed into pollution by the vested interest scientific fraudsters and advisors to most governments.

In the era of big govt this has resulted in the notorious carbon tax fraud.

CookieMonster

I don,t claim scientific superiority.
Can't. You can't claim scientific superiority.

My scientific training simply enables me to see the serious flaws and error,s in the anthropomorphic global warming argument and its associated govt driven carbon taxes fraud.
You don't have scientific training. You couldn't even lie about coal without being taken apart.

The Field Marshal

Can't. You can't claim scientific superiority.
No .
I can,t claim scientific superiority.

Ie Can not .
Am not able etc.

Do is an active verb so to say I don,t claim etc implies a degree of action opposed to an argument based on passive equilibrium.

You don't have scientific training. You couldn't even lie about coal without being taken apart.
Where did I lie about coal?
This is the second time you made this accusation.
I cannot reply unless you acquaint me of your grievance wrt to what was propositioned.

You insist on repeating that criticism without providing any evidence.

Therefore I can only conclude that you are driven by a personal animus that has nothing to do with rational argument.

CookieMonster

No .
I can,t claim scientific superiority.

Ie Can not .
Am not able etc.

Do is an active verb so to say I don,t claim etc implies a degree of action opposed to an argument based on passive equilibrium.
Did an adult help you with your spelling there?

Where did I lie about coal?
This is the second time you made this accusation.
I cannot reply unless you acquaint me of your grievance wrt to what was propositioned.
The first post in this thread.

You insist on repeating that criticism without providing any evidence.
Therefore I can only conclude that you are driven by a personal animus that has nothing to do with rational argument.
Oh I do think you're a tosser, but you're also a liar too.

The Field Marshal

The first post in this thread.
Where are the lies in the OP?

You continually make these assertions without arguing or debating specific points.:roll:

This proves my point that

1] you are a poster motivated by personal malice .
2] you are a moderator on this site continually giving bad example by hurling abuse at people whose views you dislike

Last edited:

The Field Marshal

Time to bump this thread now that the winter is on its way and the monster seems to have departed.

riven

Finding it hard to heat your house with an open fire ?

Thank successive highly restrictive policies from Irish government that ensures only expensive low sulphur low heat Polish coal is available in the 26 counties.
Am, low sulphur coal will generally be of a higher quality and higher calorific value than higher sulphur coals. Anthracite is a low sulphur coal and is in high demand by power generators along with Bituminous. They balance the quick burning of bit with high heat of ant.

In any case you would not look to sulphur content to assess the heat quality of your coal. You would look to its carbon content.

The Field Marshal

Ireland has no coal, but I sell coal, I am delighted with the Trump victory. He is a real man and a very fair minded man. Ireland should enter the market to buy American Coal and make it available as the fuel of choice for electricity and heat. Ireland needs to get a new government because Enda Kenny made such hurtful remarks about Trump and I don't think he will be forgiven on St. Patrick's day.
http://www.politics.ie/forum/foreign-affairs/252398-trumpian-post-brexapocalypse-how-ought-ireland-align-itself-3.html#post10703761

The Field Marshal

Am, low sulphur coal will generally be of a higher quality and higher calorific value than higher sulphur coals. Anthracite is a low sulphur coal and is in high demand by power generators along with Bituminous. They balance the quick burning of bit with high heat of ant.

In any case you would not look to sulphur content to assess the heat quality of your coal. You would look to its carbon content.
Thank you for that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coal

http://www.iea-coal.org.uk/documents/82615/7953/Global-perspective-on-the-use-of-low-quality-coals-CCC/180

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/threads/coal-wont-light.71883/*

*I got ten bags of coal delivered before Christmas, it's smokeless and this is the second batch of this coal that I have bought from this company. My problem is that the coal is taking forever to light, sometimes it takes 5 or 6 attempts to get it going and even when it does eventually get going (if I last that long) there isn't great heat and no great flames, it might be giving out some heat by the time I'm ready to go to bed.

I had no problems with the previous batch of coal i had got. I rang the company this evening and they said that they had no other complaints, therefore they were not going to do anything. Eventually she said she would give me 1 bag of polish coal and that i should use this to start the fire. But she made me feel I was over reacting at the fact that I had coal that doesn't light! Bottom line they would take no responsibility because coal is a natural product and they had no other complaints.

valamhic

Ah yes, God be with the days when a quarter ton of Black Diamond coal was the ultimate warmer in our house! Then the ban came in and to be honest, even getting the smokeless coal to LIGHT up was a pain in the YKW. So reluctantly, having tried turf briquettes (burned far too quickly) we got a coal effect gas fire. It gives out feck all heat really, but looks nice without the cleaning. I am a philistine, I know.

Anyhow, it looks like the ban on smoky coal is going to be spread countrywide. The diesel launderers will have another option aswell so! Import from NI and sell on the QT. Just like the cigarettes.

Jeez the Government is only facilitating black market activity at this stage of the game.

Unfortunately, for us, going to NI to stock up on Black Diamond coal was never an option unfortunately. And that will be the case for many.
Vote them out, halt green policies by the back door. There is plenty of Columbia coal on sale in Cavan still

The Field Marshal

Vote them out, halt green policies by the back door. There is plenty of Columbia coal on sale in Cavan still
One of Irelands finest counties.
Colombian coal | coal

This is the first time I ever heard of this product.
I expect it is quite a bit more expensive though.

As the less well off Irish huddle and freeze due to the high cost of home heating imposed on them by the Green party and its vile supporters it will never be forgotten the cruel suffering inflicted by these heartless and uncaring politicians.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies