• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Irish govt,s initiative will put foreign uniformed police on Dublins streets during international sporting events

The Field Marshal

Irish govt,s initiative will put foreign uniformed police on Dublins streets during international sporting events

The Irish govt have now set a precedent in France.

Travelling to Euro 2016? You might see some uniformed gardaí on the beat

This initiative means any foreign govt concerned about the security of its citizen when on holiday here can demand from the Irish govt permission to place its uniformed policemen on Irish streets.

If international sporting events are held in Dublin eg say Turkey/Israel or the US plays Ireland in soccer or we hold the Eurovision or some other international event will Irish people be happy to see uniformed American /Turkish/ Israeli French etc cops
patrolling Dublins streets?

This is not at all far fetched in particular in the light of Irelands currently challenged Garda force

What do other posters think?

[I am starting this thread as a parallel thread to
http://www.politics.ie/forum/justice/249069-irish-taxpayer-now-directly-funding-french-govt-gardai-get-freebies-sports-events-4.html#post10344559.
[If the mods wish to merge the above linked thread with this one I would be obliged.
Thanks]

silverharp

it sounds like you are overegging the issue. If England was playing here or even Northern Ireland, I don't think it would be absurd to have some spotters for the respective police forces.
You also make it sound like they can just do their own thing , im pretty sure they are with French police , they wouldn't have the authority to make arrests in another country

Old Mr Grouser

it sounds like you are overegging the issue. If England was playing here or even Northern Ireland, I don't think it would be absurd to have some spotters for the respective police forces.
You also make it sound like they can just do their own thing , im pretty sure they are with French police , they wouldn't have the authority to make arrests in another country
I'm not sure that a foreign policeman would always need authority to make an arrest.

If a visiting foreign policeman saw someone, of any nationality, kicking the life out of another he'd be entitled to intervene, and perhaps detain the offender until gardai arrived; in fact he might be liable to disciplinary action back home if CCTV had caught him just standing aside.

Astral Peaks

Sorry, Field Mouse, but this has been happening for years. Had a great chat with some Met detectives after the recent Ire v Eng friendly at Landsdowne Road, they had 25 officers over.

And no, they were NOT "patrolling" the streets, as well you know.

General Urko

A friend of mine was going through Ostende, just after a British soldier had been killed by a few volunteers in the general area!
Due to a misunderstanding with a barber, he was virtually bald and looked a bit different from his passport photo.
He was stopped by the Belgian Police and 2 British plain clothes Pigz and more or less forced to join a pigz line up!
Same lad detests Miltant Irish Republicans and is a professor with an esteemed university today!
I think the difference in passport photo to his then look gave the Breitish Pigz leeway to act the bollex and he couldn't do anything about it!

EUrJokingMeRight

There are lots of armed personnel from foreign states walking around with guns on the streets of Dublin. All above board.

Watcher2

This initiative means any foreign govt concerned about the security of its citizen when on holiday here can demand from the Irish govt permission to place its uniformed policemen on Irish streets.

If international sporting events are held in Dublin eg say Turkey/Israel or the US plays Ireland in soccer or we hold the Eurovision or some other international event will Irish people be happy to see uniformed American /Turkish/ Israeli French etc cops

This is not at all far fetched in particular in the light of Irelands currently challenged Garda force

http://www.politics.ie/forum/justice/249069-irish-taxpayer-now-directly-funding-french-govt-gardai-get-freebies-sports-events-4.html#post10344559.
[If the mods wish to merge the above linked thread with this one I would be obliged.
Thanks]
Jesus, what is your problem? Is one thread not enough for you? This is not just a French/Irish thing. All police forces have sent representatives to the Euro's. It is not something that happens with internationals as far as I know. The euro's is a major event with more than a home team and an away team. It apparently happens at all euro's, maybe even world cup too.

Get over it.

Boy M5

I used the Eurostar London Paris train & there was an armed French gendarme at the London end checking passports (a bit like the US Customs at Dublin but they aren't armed)

General Urko

No doubt Biden's security people are armed while they are protecting him here!

luggage

We can but hope our erstwhile police force learn something about modern policing from professionals. I doubt it though.

General Urko

We can but hope our erstwhile police force learn something about modern policing from professionals. I doubt it though.
It's a pity that the professional groups or so called professional groups and the so called public service were virtually totally immune from being subjected to competition from the 100 million potential workers from The Accession States, unlike ordinary people, because we might have The Polish Riot Squad here to deal with Anti-social behaviour etc. and I bet it would be dealt with then unlike our gobshyte Pigz waiting on their pensions and having the easy life!

General Urko

BTW complete and utter gobshytism is so ingrained in our Pigz that like most of our criminal class they are completely beyond reform!:mad:

freewillie

It's a pity that the professional groups or so called professional groups and the so called public service were virtually totally immune from being subjected to competition from the 100 million potential workers from The Accession States, unlike ordinary people, because we might have The Polish Riot Squad here to deal with Anti-social behaviour etc. and I bet it would be dealt with then unlike our gobshyte Pigz waiting on their pensions and having the easy life!
20 minutes from the Polish Riot Squad and you would be doing decades of the Rosary Begging for the Garda to come back and police protests (having changed your underwear of course)

Hans Von Horn

Thanks]

I don't get where you are getting Foreign from. We are on the edge of de facto EU Political Union. Our Euro Partners are no longer foreign but we have become Europeans.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Police forces around Europe are keen to learn what they can from the Gardai.

Next year in France there will be an outbreak of gendarmes turning up in court to report that 'ze file. She has been lost.'

freewillie

Next year in France there will be an outbreak of gendarmes turning up in court to report that 'ze file. She has been lost.'
Gud moaning

General Urko

Ya how to act the bollex!

The Field Marshal

I don't get where you are getting Foreign from. We are on the edge of de facto EU Political Union. Our Euro Partners are no longer foreign but we have become Europeans.
The concept of " European" as a badge of identity has vague meaning because to be real it must be backed by a real idea that is commonly and popularly supported .

The great reality is that people living in the geographical area known on the map as Europe still see themselves as distinct nationalities.

Europe , at the conceptual level remains that sticky fly speckled map on the school room wall

Last edited:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies