Irish incarceration rates are well below European average.

O

Oscurito

With the number of people being incarcerated standing at 3,746 (as of September 2015) the Republic of Ireland's prison population rate per 100,000 inhabitants is 80.4. That is well below the European average of 134.7 and below that of our near neighbours such as France (98.3) and Belgium (113.7). No combined figures are presented for the UK in the source below but the RoI figure is below Northern Ireland (91.5), Scotland (144.6) and England/Wales (148.3).

I'm surprised we're so far below the European average because I've had the impression that the Irish justice system has been slow to adopt non-custodial forms of punishment. I recall large numbers of people being sent to prison even for non-payment of debts or fines in the last few years, never mind more serious but still non-violent acts such as shop-lifting.

The figures come from SPACE (Statistiques Pénales Annuelles du Conseil de l’Europe) or the Council of Europe Annual Penal Statistics which were released on Tuesday. The highest rate of imprisonment - perhaps unsurprisingly - is in Russia where there are a whopping 439.2 prisoners per 100,000 people. Mind you, that figure is dwarfed by the USA where 716 per 100,000 are locked up.

At the other end of the scale is the tiny Most Serene Republic of San Marino where the incarceration rate is 6.1/100,000. Given the small number of Sammarinesi, that amounts to a prison population of two. Bless.

Figures:
Statistiques Pénales Annuelles du Conseil de l’Europe - 2015 (see page 34)

Dame_Enda

Unlike you, I am not in the least surprised by this, given the constant media reports of people with hundreds of prior convictions roaming the streets. A revolving door prison system profits the legal profession, many of whom are politicians.

O

Oscurito

Unlike you, I am not in the least surprised by this, given the constant media reports of people with hundreds of prior convictions roaming the streets. A revolving door prison system profits the legal profession, many of whom are politicians.
Are there really so many such cases that were such people imprisoned, it would bring us significantly nearer the European average?

stopdoingstuff

At the other end of the scale is the tiny Most Serene Republic of San Marino where the incarceration rate is 6.1/100,000. Given the small number of Sammarinesi, that amounts to a prison population of two. Bless.
It's probably white collar crime anyway and they take turns guarding each other.

Hunter-Gatherer

Lawless ireland

Dame_Enda

Are there really so many such cases that were such people imprisoned, it would bring us significantly nearer the European average?
its very hard to get statistics on this. The INIS website hasnt had its statistics updated for years. But I do remember that only around 21% of violent offences were resulting in prison sentences in 2008.

D

Deleted member 48908

Them Sammarenesi always did the right thing, helping out their fellow man. Sure, didn't yerman, Simon, help Jesus out with the cross he had to bear.

greengoose2

We are citizens of the "Island of Saints and Scholars". We do not commit crimes and are the most intelligent nation on the Continent of Europe. We are great rugby players and have admirable lady boxers. A proud nation are we not? Oh and we have the best Gaelic football team in Ireland. And Guinness, shamrock and even an ethnic community who wander from town to town, sharing their ancient culture!

Who needs jails, gaols or indeed, any other places of incarceration?

bal o dhia oraibh

Boy M5

I misread the title.
I thought it said Irish reincarnation rates were higher....

But incarceration rates - I thought we were lower than our neighbours

shoneen

We are citizens of the "Island of Saints and Scholars". We do not commit crimes and are the most intelligent nation on the Continent of Europe. We are great rugby players and have admirable lady boxers. A proud nation are we not? Oh and we have the best Gaelic football team in Ireland. And Guinness, shamrock and even an ethnic community who wander from town to town, sharing their ancient culture!

Who needs jails, gaols or indeed, any other places of incarceration?

bal o dhia oraibh
In fairness X has turned his life aroud and has a new baby. Plus he's REALLY sorry ... as is Y who comes from a good family who are all terribly shocked ... he's also on a training couse and has sworn off the drink/drugs ... etc.

O

Oscurito

its very hard to get statistics on this. The INIS website hasnt had its statistics updated for years. But I do remember that only around 21% of violent offences were resulting in prison sentences in 2008.
A link to that would be great. I wonder if we differ radically from other European countries in this regard.

I'm not a fan of prisons really. They seem to only "harden" the soft cases and serve as schools for crime.

If someone has been found guilty of a violent crime for the first time, maybe prison isn't always the best option. If they repeat, then it should be.

Mad as Fish

With the number of people being incarcerated standing at 3,746 (as of September 2015) the Republic of Ireland's prison population rate per 100,000 inhabitants is 80.4. That is well below the European average of 134.7 and below that of our near neighbours such as France (98.3) and Belgium (113.7). No combined figures are presented for the UK in the source below but the RoI figure is below Northern Ireland (91.5), Scotland (144.6) and England/Wales (148.3).

I'm surprised we're so far below the European average because I've had the impression that the Irish justice system has been slow to adopt non-custodial forms of punishment. I recall large numbers of people being sent to prison even for non-payment of debts or fines in the last few years, never mind more serious but still non-violent acts such as shop-lifting.

The figures come from SPACE (Statistiques Pénales Annuelles du Conseil de l’Europe) or the Council of Europe Annual Penal Statistics which were released on Tuesday. The highest rate of imprisonment - perhaps unsurprisingly - is in Russia where there are a whopping 439.2 prisoners per 100,000 people. Mind you, that figure is dwarfed by the USA where 716 per 100,000 are locked up.

Figures:
One wonders how that rate would be affected if we pursued white collar crime with even a fraction of the vigour that we ought.

Clanrickard

Figures:
Maybe Irish people are in general more law abiding?

O

Oscurito

Maybe Irish people are in general more law abiding?
Now there's a radical idea.

If one delves into the most recent official statistics**, it turns out that we have one of the lowest murder rates in all of Europe. The media would have us believe that we're a crime-ridden hell-hole.

**and you'll probably have to go to the CSO website because I didn't see any newspaper picking up on them,

Last edited:

Sister Mercedes

Now there's a radical idea.

If one delves into the most recent official statistics**, it turns out that we have one of the lowest homicide rates in all of Europe. The media would have us believe that we're a crime-ridden hell-hole.

**and you'll probably have to go to the CSO website because I didn't see any newspaper picking up on them,
Give over with your Fake News.

Ireland has a higher homicide rate than most of our European neighbours, according to a UN report.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies