• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

irish Independent calls bull On RTE and the Government

Neutron

Maybe just Maybe the Irish media is starting to wake up and realise that the people of Ireland are being taken for fools by RTE and the government.

2 stories carried in todays Edition appear to be attacking both RTE and the Government.

Could the tide be turning and time running out for this government?

I see Labour have gone into sleep mode over this.

Angela's ashes bury Kenny's illusion - Analysis, Opinion - Independent.ie

Last Friday night,RTE's Six-One News gave Sharon Ni Bheolain a script which began as follows: "The German chancellor Angela Merkel appears to have created confusion around Irish hopes for a deal on bank debt." But of course, it was Enda Kenny and not Angela Merkel who had created the confusion.

RTE News helped Kenny spread that confusion for the past five months. Every second bulletin seemed to begin with gung-ho stories about the bank debt deal from Sean Whelan, Paul Cunningham, and somewhat more restrained reports from Tony Connolly. Even even after Merkel dropped her bombshell on Friday afternoon, RTE News failed to come to terms with the fall-out.Friday's bulletin was full of fudge. We were told the Taoiseach felt it was "better not to be fixated on dates". Sean Whelan asked rhetorically how concerned should we be -- apparently not that much. Paul Cunningham said he'd been told (presumably by the Taoiseach's staff) that Merkel's statement merely concerned Spain.
Angela's ashes bury Kenny's illusion - Analysis, Opinion - Independent.ie

Appeasing Merkel has cost us the Bank deal

'If middle Ireland takes to streets it's goodbye Fine Gael' - Minister

IRELAND'S "social stability" will fragment into Greek-style street protests if the Government fails to get tough with Europe on the €64bn bank debt, Taoiseach Enda Kenny has been warned.

Opposition leader Micheal Martin, along with a senior Fine Gaelminister, warned Mr Kenny that middle Ireland is at the brink and needs to "see light at the end of the tunnel."If we bring middle Ireland onto the streets then it will be 'Goodbye Fine Gael'," the Minister said.Banking expert and Fine Gael TD Peter Mathews yesterday said Mr Kenny's and Mr Noonan's overselling of the June 29 summit compared to Neville Chamberlain's appeasement policy before World the Second World War.He said: "Chamberlain innocently sold his people, a pup rather than face the stark reality in front of them. It is the same here now."Mr Kenny was"sucker-punched" by German Chancellor Angela Merkel, who on Friday insisted that there would be no bailout of legacy bank debt, says TD Stephen Donnelly in today's Sunday Independent.
Appeasing Merkel has cost us the Bank deal - National News - Independent.ie

sic transit

Yep as the whole article was in the OP.

Neutron

Cato removed the thread because I posted images of the article.:mad:

Josip Broz

Chamberlain's Britain? Vichy France? Why the sudden outbreak of ww2 analogies? Has Ireland Been sucked in to the Hadron Collider of Godwin's Law or are the same idiots who cheerled for the boom simply approaching the current mess with their customary sense of balance and wisdom.

Boy M5

Coppyright issues. I would guess.

sic transit

Could the tide be turning and time running out for this government?
The original is "time and tide wait for no man" so what's your point with this version of it?

Tin Foil Hat

Not just RTE, but the vast majority of the Irish media is complicit in the Euroscam. They have all played their part in bullying us, terrorising us and outright lying to us for treaty after treaty. And we've been more than willing to swallow it up.
What have we got for our obedience? Nothing. We've been fukked like a cheap groupie slut and thrown out in the cold without breakfast. It was never going to be any other way. Why would the EU take some of our debts off our hands when we've already given them everything they want?

Boy M5

Chamberlain's Britain? Vichy France? Why the sudden outbreak of ww2 analogies? Has Ireland Been sucked in to the Hadron Collider of Godwin's Law or are the same idiots who cheerled for the boom simply approaching the current mess with their customary sense of balance and wisdom.
It wasn't a boom it was a bubble.
I've used the Vichy analogy slightly in the past on here. Mainly to point out that the country needs a DeGaulle (or Collins).
I don't believe zgermans are Nazis or want EUrope domination.

Boy M5

I presume Harris is the author of one of the pieces? He wrote it after eating good West Cork Protestant Food and the fairies that live on the pier telling him that the veterans of the 3rd West Cork Brigade signed up en masse to serve with the Einzsatsgruppe in 1941 but resigned as there were no Protestants in Belorussia. 

sic transit

It's the selective slicing up of events that our media these days does, well the Sindo does. All events, hot air reactions to events and no actual explanation whatsoever. I will say Mathews enthusiasm for really daft hyperbole seems to know no bounds.

sic transit

It wasn't a boom it was a bubble.
I've used the Vichy analogy slightly in the past on here. Mainly to point out that the country needs a DeGaulle (or Collins).
I don't believe zgermans are Nazis or want EUrope domination.
Cults of personality are of no benefit to anyone. We need to sort out our finances with grey colourless bean counters and a few people who can take a big picture view.

DCon

I see Labour have gone into sleep mode over this.
Where are Labour?

Eamo only wants to be on the screens when announcing good, or alleged good, news

shenana

That attacks in bed will not achieve the spiritual need after long years of battle which court and administrative controls has been defeated now it's a battle of taken over my home, come on, get a life!

However, the burglary case must have been a mistaken of identity which was later withdrawn so would you called that, history of burglary rap sheet having declare it officially with no meaning, which should not even be declared at all be honest ?

Truth is on the side of the oppressed.

Jackass

The original is "time and tide wait for no man" so what's your point with this version of it?
Time And Tide, is/was the name of a very large property development business in the UK. They had problems with the RBS and were forced to abandon multi-million pound projects overnight resulting in hundreds losing their jobs and unpaid suppliers etc.

Kevin Ryan

I think the most forceful and damaging critique in the Sindo comes from Colm McCarthy.

The insistence that things are fine, that budget adjustments are on schedule, three-month Treasury bills can be sold and Ireland will exit the rescue programme next year, is a serviceable domestic political message. But it is also an open invitation to our European 'partners' to offer no assistance whatsoever outside the terms already agreed.

A better negotiating platform, and one with at least equal plausibility, is the following: that the debt is not sustainable and will reach 150 per cent of national income; the economy is flat and will remain so; the politics of further retrenchment are getting too difficult and debt relief is inevitable. The Government should quit behaving like the marketing arm of a debt-management agency.

Ireland gets its reward for being EU's little pet poodle -- nothing - Analysis, Opinion - Independent.ie

The Sindo is an awful rag, and bears a lot of responsibility for the culture behind the bubble and the Lenihan agenda that brought us 95% of the way to where we are now. But the current government has chosen not to break from its braindead departmental advice, and to follow that agenda in act and spirit. It is a failed and increasingly craven agenda, and if it takes the Sindo to point that out, so be it. Others in Fine Gael and Labour will follow.

shenana

I think the most forceful and damaging critique in the Sindo comes from Colm McCarthy.

The insistence that things are fine, that budget adjustments are on schedule, three-month Treasury bills can be sold and Ireland will exit the rescue programme next year, is a serviceable domestic political message. But it is also an open invitation to our European 'partners' to offer no assistance whatsoever outside the terms already agreed.

A better negotiating platform, and one with at least equal plausibility, is the following: that the debt is not sustainable and will reach 150 per cent of national income; the economy is flat and will remain so; the politics of further retrenchment are getting too difficult and debt relief is inevitable. The Government should quit behaving like the marketing arm of a debt-management agency.

Ireland gets its reward for being EU's little pet poodle -- nothing - Analysis, Opinion - Independent.ie

The Sindo is an awful rag, and bears a lot of responsibility for the culture behind the bubble and the Lenihan agenda that brought us 95% of the way to where we are now. But the current government has chosen not to break from its braindead departmental advice, and to follow that agenda in act and spirit. It is a failed and increasingly craven agenda, and if it takes the Sindo to point that out, so be it. Others in Fine Gael and Labour will follow.
I think you should be looking forward to the children referendum come next month with the use of phrases you used in drafting believes!!!