• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Irish Independent says water charges to be based on house size.

seabhcan

pinemartin

And how would they calculate house size? They have no register of it.
i presume they are going to have a problem with putting meters in flats in large buildings. They will get people to self access.

Heligoland

Irish Water will also be allowed access to the Department of Social Protection records, and it is understood certain welfare recipients, as well as people with acute medical needs, will not pay the full amount of the charge.

And it is now thought apartment blocks will have one meter installed which will measure the usage of all occupants – then the charges will be divided up per apartment.
Neither of those ideas strike me as particularly bright.

Hakaman

"... Sources involved ... " and " ... one source said ..."

That's all I needed to see - the usual attention-grabbing makey-uppy rubbish from the Indo.

ruserious

Why not base it on income divided by family size and have significant safety nets for people who cannot afford to pay the new tax so the rich pay more?

pinemartin

Why not base it on income divided by family size and have significant safety nets for people who cannot afford to pay the new tax so the rich pay more?
Because it is a tax that should also discourage the waste of water. It does not matter if you are rich or poor, there should be an incentive(tax) to penalise waste.

ruserious

Because it is a tax that should also discourage the waste of water. It does not matter if you are rich or poor, there should be an incentive(tax) to penalise waste.
This isn't the Sahara. We have plenty water. The biggest waste is coming from the pipes where 50% is lost in Cork alone. That is the source of waste. Not the people.

Grumpy Jack

If they can't base the property tax on house size, how come they can do it for water charges?

Eye of Angkor

There is no relationship between the size of a house and the use of water.

It is so irrational a benchmark that it would be open to legal challenge, even in this jurisdiction!

Dougal

There is no relationship between the size of a house and the use of water.

It is so irrational a benchmark that it would be open to legal challenge, even in this jurisdiction!
Completely agree. Bit unfair on single people or even just couples. My friend lives (single) in a house slightly bigger then their next door neighbours who have four living in there (two adults and two children). At least on the poll tax in the UK, single people get 25% discount.

Disillusioned democrat

Saving water is the least of the priorities of this scheme - it's about taking something you already pay for through tax and making you pay for it again, and then when they need MORE money to feed the beast, they will justify charging even MORE for the same service.

This scheme meets the governments two big (if somewhat dysfunctional and mutually destructive) objectives - get even MORE money into the public coffers and be able to justify giving a decent share of this to well connected big business through service contracts.

The planet can go phuck itself as far as the government is concerned...sure didn't we reject the GP?

Eye of Angkor

Agreed - but that cannot happen as a consequence of linking the tax to the size of the premises.

chippie

Twitter
IrishEconFacts
I really can't believe this article is true. I live alone in a 3 bed semi, the family next door has 5 people, same house. If they were stupid enough to bring this in I would just leave the tap on all day to get the value for what I have to pay. Crazy system but as its the Indo I place little store in it.

Clanrickard

Why? Should rich people pay more bread than poor people? You should pay for what you use.

Dougal

I really can't believe this article is true. I live alone in a 3 bed semi, the family next door has 5 people, same house. If they were stupid enough to bring this in I would just leave the tap on all day to get the value for what I have to pay. Crazy system but as its the Indo I place little store in it.
Yep, I see a revolt of the "singles" and quite rightly so.

ruserious

Why? Should rich people pay more bread than poor people? You should pay for what you use.
This is a common resource of all Irish people. People need water to live. Poor people will have a far higher % of income going on this vital resource than rich people. This is unfair. It should be the same % of income that goes towards costs of service. Therefore the rich will pay more but it will be the same % paid by all.

Eye of Angkor

One possible solution would be to give every individual a water quota and seek to charge for usage above that amount by reference to the number of inhabitants in a dwelling.

The possibility of that being introduced is zero!

pinemartin

Agreed - but that cannot happen as a consequence of linking the tax to the size of the premises.
I know that and of course would not support a tax like this but people should not be allowed to leave a tap open or have a leaking pipe and face no sanction. This should be the same for County councils and their leaking systems.

there is a costs in providing potable water to houses.