Irish Independent's Online Commentary Policy

Destiny's Soldier

Have you ever tried to post a well written, well researched comment under an Irish Independent article but discover it doesn't get published yet a meaningless bland comment does? Well you're not alone.

The Irish Independent's editorial policy under its opinion pieces ensures many well written comments that counters the opinion piece in any way will not get published. Very often the more blandly written with poor grammar one-liners will however.

It puts the Irish Times streets ahead by comparison for discussion and honest debate leaving it open to the online community to flag offensive or inappropriate comments.

I would conclude from my experience that, the more factually accurate the comment running counter to the opinion piece, the less likely it is to get published.

There are tonnes of examples and it is about time it was debated publicly. It would be no harm to comment here to demonstrate how so many well written non-defamatory comments do not get past the Indo's editorial delete button.

Sotired

How very topical.

Just had this comment 'ignored' today, multiple times.

On the thread about the crusaders submitting to islam.

And yes, other comments by me were let through on that thread.

A great celebration of "openness" "inclusiveness" and "diversity"
More like submitting to sinister threats from terrorists.

I doubt that the poisonous knuckledraggers that made the threats have much time for "openness" "inclusivity" and "diversity".

Sends out a strong message.

A lot more to come.

I wonder if the 'Saracens' will be getting threats for the use of that name?

shoneen

The Indo have the market cornered in pointless and inane articles about SFA. When comments point this out they don't last very long. At least the Irish Times are honest enough not to include comment sections on some of their pointless and inane articles about SFA. Except for Fintan O Toole's for some bizarre reason.

GabhaDubh

Do the P.ie Mods work there?

Peppermint

Have you ever tried to post a well written, well researched comment under an Irish Independent article but discover it doesn't get published yet a meaningless bland comment does? Well you're not alone.

The Irish Independent's editorial policy under its opinion pieces ensures many well written comments that counters the opinion piece in any way will not get published. Very often the more blandly written with poor grammar one-liners will however.

It puts the Irish Times streets ahead by comparison for discussion and honest debate leaving it open to the online community to flag offensive or inappropriate comments.

I would conclude from my experience that, the more factually accurate the comment running counter to the opinion piece, the less likely it is to get published.

There are tonnes of examples and it is about time it was debated publicly. It would be no harm to comment here to demonstrate how so many well written non-defamatory comments do not get past the Indo's editorial delete button.
You do realise who you are talking about??
The Indo!!
Not a paper, that in any way, tries to live up to it's name...

former wesleyan

One mans well researched and written commentary is another mans racist rant.

Analyzer

To be honest I have no interest in Malteser's Main Bulletin.

One can post comments here. No need for the comic owned by 3 non dom billoonaires availing of taxpayer funded debt writedowns.

Analyzer

I wonder how they would react if one made a comment about
- the Moriarty Tribunal
- corruption in Brussels
- corrupt centrist party politicians
- real estate market price rigging
- Ming or Mick Wallace or Claire Daly or Catherine Murphy
- the media cheerleading the borrowing binge
- tax non dom billionaires

Ireland's media facilitates corruption by looking the other way.

ShoutingIsLeadership

They can hardly have the comments section appearing more coherent than the articles, to be fair

edifice.

They also seem to have a policy of allowing slagging matches between commentators go on and on as if to distract from constructive criticism of the article itself.

former wesleyan

Destiny's Soldier

They also seem to have a policy of allowing slagging matches between commentators go on and on as if to distract from constructive criticism of the article itself.
That's it precisely.

Cellachán Chaisil

Have you ever written a well written and well researched comment?

Destiny's Soldier

One mans well researched and written commentary is another mans racist rant.
Then if the Indo editors think that an obviously non-racist comment is racist then the indo is presenting a false paradigm by having a comments section. The comments section is almost a deception because it is a pretense that fair commentary is allowed when it is not allowed.

Destiny's Soldier

Have you ever written a well written and well researched comment?
Ah sure sometimes. I do muck about here many's a time but I can do formal researched stuff too when required. I am capable of writing grammatically correct analysis -the typical lazy stereotype that usually passes for analysis in modern newsprint.

Lúidín

Have you ever tried to post a well written, well researched comment under an Irish Independent article?
Who in their right mind would do such a nonsensical thing?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies