• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Irish International Immigrant Center "shops" Irish Student.

Cruimh

An angry piece by Niall O'Dowd in his "Periscope" column for Irish Central.

Young Irish woman turned in to U.S. authorities by Irish immigrant support group - Boston-based Irish International Immigrant Center does the unspeakable

The girl in question - in the USA - breached the terms of her 12 month study/travel visa by working in a bar for extra money. She was also - quite properly - working for Irish Central at the time and made the mistake of writing about her experiences. The article was spotted and the US authorities informed.

An unusual - and surely rather petty - twist in the ongoing Irish immigrant situation - especially when it is looking as if some sort of deal will be done over the "illegal Irish".

Strictly speaking, of course, she did break her "contract" with the US Government. But was this just and should the Irish Government consider any future funding for the Irish International Immigrant Center?

Last edited:

stopdoingstuff

Motherfkrs. They should be shot with a ball of their own sht.

blokesbloke

Well I don't know Cruimh. Is it there to support Irish immigrants in breaking the law? If it is, then clearly it has failed in its duties and yes the Irish government should indeed stop funding it.

Socratus O' Pericles

Put an Irishman on the spit and you can always get another Irishman to turn him.

-GBS

Cruimh

Well I don't know Cruimh. Is it there to support Irish immigrants in breaking the law? If it is, then clearly it has failed in its duties and yes the Irish government should indeed stop funding it.
It seems to have been a very minor breach of the terms of her Visa. I did wonder though if, as she was there on a one year visa, whether or not she should even be considered an immigrant?

Didimus

Apparently according to Mr O'Dowd it was the Northern Irish people's fault

fontenoy

They make millions processing student working visas, while also getting Irish Government grants. Scumbags

blokesbloke

It seems to have been a very minor breach of the terms of her Visa. I did wonder though if, as she was there on a one year visa, whether or not she should even be considered an immigrant?
It does seem minor, but a breach is a breach. I doubt I'd report something like that myself but I really can't get too worked up about someone who did... and certainly not a government-funded agency doing it.

Cruimh

It does seem minor, but a breach is a breach. I doubt I'd report something like that myself but I really can't get too worked up about someone who did... and certainly not a government-funded agency doing it.
I could understand if the centre had been officially involved in some way and as such were worried about getting in trouble themselves - but it seems that an employee noticed the article she had written and chose to follow it up. Of course, it can be argued that it was foolish to write the article in the first place.

blokesbloke

I could understand if the centre had been officially involved in some way and as such were worried about getting in trouble themselves - but it seems that an employee noticed the article she had written and chose to follow it up. Of course, it can be argued that it was foolish to write the article in the first place.
Indeed - if you're going to break the law, best not to write an article about it. Or even better - do not break the law, especially in a country which has been kind enough to allow you a visa.

Was the individual employee just acting on their own then? In which case it's kind of irrelevant who they work for - it's not like they were ordered to do it, or it had anything to do with the organisation. Just one person noticing someone broke the law and making an in individual decision to report it.

Sync

She took work away from someone there legally and broke the terms of her agreement with the US. If she couldn't afford to stay there then she shouldn't have gone under those terms.

If her actions were found to be widespread then the US would simply remove the travel visa option. I find it impossible to get outraged by these "Person A reported a crime/breach of the law. PERSON A'S A JERK!" threads.

Galloper Thompson

She took work away from someone there legally and broke the terms of her agreement with the US. If she couldn't afford to stay there then she shouldn't have gone under those terms.

If her actions were found to be widespread then the US would simply remove the travel visa option. I find it impossible to get outraged by these "Person A reported a crime/breach of the law. PERSON A'S A JERK!" threads.
You do know there are tens of thousands of illegal Irish Immigrants all over the world...thats why this organisation was founded to help those illegals.....should they all be informed on and sent back? is that what you are suggesting?

Sync

You do know there are tens of thousands of illegal Irish Immigrants all over the world...thats why this organisation was founded to help those illegals.....should they all be informed on and sent back? is that what you are suggesting?
Yes I'm saying illegal immigrants should be deported and prevented from re-entering the country who's laws they broke. Revolutionary, I know.

Our goal is to keep Massachusetts a welcoming place for workers, students, and refugees from around the world. We believe all residents deserve justice, equality, and dignity. We advocate for this goal in partnership with
Which is she?

Glenshane4

I entirely agree with you. Illegal immigration or breaking the terms under which one is granted a visa is not a trivial offence.

Galloper Thompson

Yes I'm saying illegal immigrants should be deported and prevented from re-entering the country who's laws they broke. Revolutionary, I know.

Which is she?
There are an estimated 50,000 undocumented Irish in the US alone, a huge percentage of them with families of children born there..... a lot of these immigrants have been there for 20 years or more....your suggestion is just pie in the sky, and borders on extremism..

Cruimh

There are an estimated 50,000 undocumented Irish in the US alone, a huge percentage of them with families of children born there..... a lot of these immigrants have been there for 20 years or more....your suggestion is just pie in the sky, and borders on extremism..
The long term illegals are a different issue surely - in this case the girl was still well within her visa.

Maximilian

She took work away from someone there legally and broke the terms of her agreement with the US.
Fair enough. However, I dislike the, in my opinion, disproportionate penalty for the offence. Surely a cease and desist letter would have been sufficient? That way, the job would be available to a legal worker and the student could continue her studies in the knowledge that the US is a vigilant but reasonable and fair place.